Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Where has it failed? 1% is better than 0% so forth and so on....All it would take is 1 nuke and everything you know and love would be summarily dumped into the toilet. I just don't believe in the it's too hard lets give up idea.
Sure missle shields are great at shooting down short range Iraqi rockets from the 1970s, but ICBMs are different. Everyone acknowledges that the results in the Iraq war are useless in determining effectiveness against ICBMs. There are about 80 or so cities of 250,000 or more in the US, Russia has est. 6,600 nuclear weapons. 1% even 50% is not enough. The fact of the matter is if there is a nuclear war it is over. Have you ever played the old atari game missle command, it is suprizingly accurate. No matter how many missles one shoots down eventually one will be overwhelmed and then there is radition which will kill everyone anyway. The best nuclear war is the one that doesn't happen, Russians love their children too. The best solution is to use diplomacy, brinkmanship and detant rather than try to build a better mouse trap and bet the world on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:25 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I can imagine it, it is the end of the world. Though I doubt a missle shield will do anything it has failed in testing and missles are made to split into multiple tiny war heads and decoys inorder not to be shot down. Additionally a lot more than 100,000s of people would die. The stuff nuclear powers have now make the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs look like firecrackers. Essentially if you happen to live in a city of 250,000 or more it will be quick. If you live in a rural area you can look forward to a slow death of radition poisoning. Either way if there is a balistic nuclear strike there will be a massive counter strike and so on and so on and much of the world will be dead before they can bend over and kiss their behind goodbye.
Guess I should make my root cellar a little bigger and stronger than I had planned...

The problem is it's the rogues and crazy people like the North Koreans, Iranians, etc. flinging those less sophisticated nukes that are probably a bigger threat than the more advanced stuff the Russians have. I don't think the Russians are crazy enough to use their nukes (I sure hope not) as more than a tool for their scare tactics. I do believe they will be trying to expand their power and retake some lost territory in the future. It can be dangerous but they shouldn't be that stupid enough to use them. Of course, with such high stakes, we also don't want to rely on assumptions like that.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Guess I should make my root cellar a little bigger and stronger than I had planned...

The problem is it's the rogues and crazy people like the North Koreans, Iranians, etc. flinging those less sophisticated nukes that are probably a bigger threat than the more advanced stuff the Russians have. I don't think the Russians are crazy enough to use their nukes (I sure hope not) as more than a tool for their scare tactics. I do believe they will be trying to expand their power and retake some lost territory in the future. It can be dangerous but they shouldn't be that stupid enough to use them. Of course, with such high stakes, we also don't want to rely on assumptions like that.
I do not think Iran or North Korea would use them. North Korea is more or less run by mobsters, they see a nuclear program as a way to get goodies from the world they will if we throw some food and oil their way they will get rid of them, that is the way it has pretty much always been. Their goal is simply to keep their country stable enough to keep ruling it. I honestly cannot see Israel letting Iran get nuclear weapons and even if they got them I doubt the would use them because Isreal would destroy them if they did. Also I doubt either of those countries would be able to achieve miniturization and ICBM capability anytime in the near future.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:36 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I do not think Iran or North Korea would use them. North Korea is more or less run by mobsters, they see a nuclear program as a way to get goodies from the world they will if we throw some food and oil their way they will get rid of them. That is the way it has pretty much always been there goal is simply to keep their country stable enough to keep ruling it. I honestly cannot see Israel letting Iran get nuclear weapons and even if they got them I doubt the would use them because Isreal would destroy them if they did. Also I doubt either of those countries would be able to achieve miniturization and ICBM capability anytime in the near future.
Judging from their dangerous and poorly thought out missile tests I could see NK using nukes. They're run by someone who appears to be insane.

This is a dangerous game. We came close to nuclear war in the Cuban missile crisis, closer than anyone thought at the time.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I can remmeber when a missle offense was thought of as too risky with out bombers.Personal computers where thought of as far fethched. Looking at teh oppsiton of russia and amny toehr countires :I would say they are wrried that it is entirely possilble. Otherwise thwey would be satying quite and wanting us to concentrate our defense budget on them ;rather than other things.Withut them the future doesn't look so good looking at the countries that many have intercontennial capabilies.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:38 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,584,516 times
Quote:
Judging from their dangerous and poorly thought out missile tests I could see NK using nukes. They're run by someone who appears to be insane.

This is a dangerous game. We came close to nuclear war in the Cuban missile crisis, closer than anyone thought at the time.
For once I agree with you...

Russian commanders in Cuba had authorization to use tactical nukes if American ground forces landed... we came damn close to global nuclear war.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Maybe, but their missles can barely get to the Sea of Japan much less hit the US. They were also pretty quick to shut down, and demolish parts of Yongbyon when they thought they would get something for it. I figure they are more intersted in extorting the world than fighting it.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times
VOA News - US: Iran Missile Test Underscores Threat to Middle East, Europe (http://voanews.com/english/2008-11-12-voa50.cfm - broken link)

No news here folks move along.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:29 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,480,300 times

Ballistic Missile Defense Panel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections