Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,220,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm sad about the Dixie Chicks. I really enjoyed their music, but what they (mostly Natalie Maines)did was unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned.
They went to another country and bad-mouthed our country, and then they seemed so proud of it. Then, they were too stupid to realize that they were alienating most of their audience, by being unrepentant. At this point, even if they apologized for what they did, no one would believe it was sincere.
What's the matter with you? They didn't bad-mouth our country. They bad-mouthed our President, which he richly deserved. I did it when I was in Australia/New Zealand just as the invasion of Iraq began (we left the day Bush attacked - April 19, 2003). He is a criminal, and deserves to be charged at the Hague, and you're worried about a comment made at a concert? Grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:31 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,443,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
In my case it wasn't what she said so much as where she was saying it. To give protest against the President of the United States of America here where you are given the freedom of speech is fine. I would not have agreed with what they said but to each his or her own. However, they did what so many past Hollywood liberals have done, went to a foreign nation to bad mouth our nation or president. Many country music fans were already sick and tired of the likes of Jane Fonda, Sean Penn, and others like them doing such things and now one of country music's own goes and does the same thing in the eyes of many country music fans. I refuse to watch movies by such celebrities and I refuse to buy music from such celebrities.

Bravo!

I will never respect them again! They are part of the reason other counties think we are a bunch of idiots.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,961,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Ambivalence View Post
They are still a very talented group but they have no audience to preform for. Country fans will no longer buy their records or atend their concerts. Pop fans say they are old and sound and look to much like "mothers" to be cool.
Ah, but you underestimate the loyalty of those "mothers" (also known as concert goers over the age of 25). That's the audience bands secretly hope for--"cool" bands go broke, but a group like the Dixie Chicks know if the over-30 set likes you, they'll have fans for another 20 years.

Just like Jimmy Buffet or Billy Joel or Supertramp. Their audience shows up for the same bands year after year. The only down side is they want to hear the same songs. The Chicks will play "Landslide" for the next 20 years, but probably not write much that's new.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
They said it so well as the thumbed their nose and raised their middle finger to the sky to Bush and his minions. Now that they have gotten their just due from the American people is it now time for the Dixie Chicks to make nice?
Should Obama some how incorporate them singing Not Ready To Make Nice into his transition and ascent to rescuing America?

YouTube - Dixie Chicks "Not Ready To Make Nice" at Grammy Awards 2007

The link is them singing it at the Grammy Awards.

I am sure Obama would smile at the thought of Bush having to listen to them at some point in front of a national audience. I would, would you?

made my bed and I sleep like a baby
With no regrets and I don't mind sayin'
It's a sad sad story when a mother will teach her
Daughter that she ought to hate a perfect stranger
And how in the world can the words that I said
Send somebody so over the edge
That they'd write me a letter
Sayin' that I better shut up and sing
Or my life will be over

who?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Judging from Bush's approval rating and the shape the country is in now, the Dixie Chicks were right.
Congress's approval rating is in the single digits. Never happened before. GWB had the highest approval rating ever at 92%. Not so with congress. Democrats suck.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
The Dixie Chicks are twice the patriots than those who jumped all over them.

Exercising freedom of expression to disagree with your leaders is the American way! Just ask King George III of England.
If you say it's true, it must be so.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Does GW love you? He'll deregulate this country up the whazoo. Pollute our water, air, corrupt every department in our government and **** on our Constitution. You love him? Follow him to Dubai or Paraguay when he runs away after January. He'd have you clean camel dung off of his shoes before giving you the time of day and you love him? He hates you. He hates this country. He and vampire Cheney and the rest of the Neocon Fascist pigs are vermin and you love him? Amazing that the microscopic percentage of people that still think Bush is worthy of anything closely resembling admiration find their way to these boards.
GWB has an approval rating roughly twice that of the congress, but you're too busy blaming every single problem on the planet on him to realize that. This is due to the fact that you are fundamentally ignorant. Grow-up, cut your hair and get a job.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,346,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Congress's approval rating is in the single digits. Never happened before. GWB had the highest approval rating ever at 92%. Not so with congress. Democrats suck.
Roughly half of Congress is made up of Republicans. I think America is saying THEY suck too.

Regarding Bush's once-high approval rating: It just goes to show that Democrats GAVE HIM A CHANCE. It's not their fault he blew it.

Ken

Old 11-12-2008, 08:55 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,220,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You're not just comparing apples and oranges, you're comparing apples and moon rocks. What idiocy!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:15 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,841,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Ambivalence View Post
Doesn't matter, the "Dixie Chicks" are toast. Whether they were right or wrong to make anti-Bush remarks in England is a moot point. The music industry as a whole greatly disapproves of artists using their popularity to make political statements. The reasons are complex but studies have shown that artists jeopardize all that the industry invests in them by polarizing the record buying audience. Artists typically lose 40-60% of their fan base by taking a publicized political stance.

Like Hank Jr? Do you think he was wrong to rewrite Family Tradition and follow the McCain campaign around the country?

And do you think Springsteen's long celebrated career is over because he openly supported Obama?

And Jimmy Buffett- in 1996 I attended a free concert he gave the Sunday before Clinton was re-elected. He performed as an opening act for Bill Clinton's campaign speech. He has remained just as popular- and even more popular than ever. In fact, he had is first top ten song with his duet with Alan Jackson on It's Five O'Clock Somewhere just a few years ago.

As for me, I like certain artists and I like some of their political stances. Others I do not.

And for what it's worth I will turn off Hank Jr and never purchase one of his CDs again because of his obnoxious support of the McCain ticket.

However, I don't think Hank will suffer because of my choice. And I don't think any of these other artists will suffer because of the choices of others either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections