Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:32 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times

Advertisements

Clip:
Newsweek's Michael Isikoff reports that Barack Obama has offered Eric Holder the job of attorney general in his administration, and that Holder has accepted.

Holder, who joined Caroline Kennedy in running Obama's vice-presidential search team, was a deputy attorney general in the Clinton administration. If he is indeed nominated and then confirmed by the Senate, he'd be the first African-American in the position.

"Holder, who served as deputy attorney general during the Clinton administration, still has to undergo a formal 'vetting' review by the Obama transition team before the selection is final and is publicly announced," Isikoff says. "But in the discussions over the past few days, Obama offered Holder the job and he accepted... The announcement is not likely until after Obama announces his choices to lead the Treasury and State departments."

Isikoff based his report on "two legal sources close to the presidential transition."
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_ro...nt.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
"He was then appointed by President Ronald Reagan to serve as an Associate Judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.[1]"

And of course -

"Like sharks sensing blood in the water, conservatives who helped press the case against James A. Johnson, formerly the head of Barack Obama's vice presidential vetting committee, are bearing down on their next target: former deputy attorney general Eric Holder."

Next on the GOP List: Eric Holder | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Old 11-18-2008, 01:42 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
I thought he would ask Charles Ogletree.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:16 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Thank GOD he didn't ask Deval Patrick!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:09 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
He's gotta hope Americans have a short memory regarding his role in pardoning Marc Rich during the Clinton years, $48 million in tax evasion, 51 counts of fraud and illegal oil deals during the hostage crisis.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,274,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
He's gotta hope Americans have a short memory regarding his role in pardoning Marc Rich during the Clinton years, $48 million in tax evasion, 51 counts of fraud and illegal oil deals during the hostage crisis.
Really? I thought only the President had the power to pardon.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:25 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Bush will say NA NA NA, we had the first minority ,not you guys! He was one of them thar Latino fellers!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:26 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
He worker under Janet Reno? Damn hope he learned from her mistakes.
Ruby Ridge and waco.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I am VERY glad that it is Holder and not Napolitano... I want an Attorney General that enforces U.S. laws and not fulfill their own agendas... I made a post earlier that the media (and Big Business) were pushing for Napolitano and that scared the heck out of me... Thank goodness Obama is working in the right direction so far... maybe Obama will be true to his words...

Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I am VERY glad that it is Holder and not Napolitano... I want an Attorney General that enforces U.S. laws and not fulfill their own agendas... I made a post earlier that the media (and Big Business) were pushing for Napolitano and that scared the heck out of me... Thank goodness Obama is working in the right direction so far... maybe Obama will be true to his words...
You're right. He is making genuine gestures of extremely capable doers in positions of power, and he is trying to get them unfettered, not controlled by lobbyists like the neocon Bush Admin. cronies are.

Where you have a template with the neocons on how not to run a govt., with Obama we are seeing the exact opposite in his decision making.

And everyone looks forward to the sun rising again after this long dark period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections