Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 AM

695 posts, read 1,377,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Well according to the Independent, it soulds pretty middle class to me. The two parental figures in his life had jobs and they lived in an apartment.

I stand by my opinion that Obama's upbringing was very typical of the middle class. He and Michelle have stated that it wasn't until the his books experienced success that their class changed.
I thought I had heard that Michelle had/has a $300,000 per year job. Am I mistaken in that?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,909 times
And when did she get that job Jeffrey?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 AM

I think there are several things that are important to note here:

1. I hope Barack & Michelle's girls get a good education, and have a good time, at their new school. Every kid deserves that, regardless of who they are.

2. Security is probably MUCH easier at a small private school than a large public school. And, unfortunately, that is absolutely necessary these days.

3. I find it ironic, however, that basically there is no federal politician who is willing to send their children to public school in Washington DC. I think THAT is a point worth pondering, because it has far-reaching implications.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
And when did she get that job Jeffrey?
That's what I'm asking.

I thought I had heard that, and am asking if it's correct or not.

Okay, after a little Googling, here's what I've found...
- She's the vice president of community and external affairs at the University of Chicago Hospitals - a job she got about the time Barack was elected to the Senate.
- Michelle Obama has quit her $215,000 dream job and demoted herself to queen. (From Salon, so I don't know just how reliable that is.)

Old 11-25-2008, 07:38 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's just it. There are plenty of parents who would prefer an alternative for their children. Not just the aristocrats. All people should be able to chose something safer for their kids, it doesn't have to be that particular extremely elitist school but an affordable private school which would be affordable with vouchers or if taxes weren't being confiscated to give to public schools.
Okay, let me get this straight. The Conservative party line is that people should be able to bring themselves up by their bootstraps and make a better life for themselves, and it's parents' responsibility to ensure that their kids get what they need. Depending on the government for goodies is a Bad, Bad Thing.

But you want the government to hand you a voucher to pay for your kids' private school.

There's a disconnect here, somewhere.

Seems to me if you were really walking the walk, you'd refuse to expect a handout and be trying to homeschool.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Okay, let me get this straight. The Conservative party line is that people should be able to bring themselves up by their bootstraps and make a better life for themselves, and it's parents' responsibility to ensure that their kids get what they need. Depending on the government for goodies is a Bad, Bad Thing.

But you want the government to hand you a voucher to pay for your kids' private school.

There's a disconnect here, somewhere.

Seems to me if you were really walking the walk, you'd refuse to expect a handout and be trying to homeschool.
No, I don't think that that in itself is a disconnect.

As an owner of multiple properties, I am paying a LOT of property tax every year - and a HUGE chunk of that property tax goes to our public schools.

I think the question is simply why the public schools automatically get that money.

Why shouldn't private/parochial/charter schools get that money if they're the ones who are providing a good education, and public schools aren't cutting the mustard. Why can't EVERY school simply be reimbursed on a per-student basis?

I've got a very close friend who is an English professor. He and I have some rather fun discussions about this. I think the competition, provided by a voucher system, would be a GOOD thing. He's not at all convinced of that.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,198,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
3. I find it ironic, however, that basically there is no federal politician who is willing to send their children to public school in Washington DC. I think THAT is a point worth pondering, because it has far-reaching implications.
There are a lot of well-educated, intelligent people all over the country who won't settle for the bare-minimum approach the public school systems generally have to take. I'm not surprised the ones in Washington won't, either.
Do the schools need fixed? Oh yeah. Do the Powers That Be need to make it a priority? Ideally. But I'm also not sure the average fourth grade class can stand much more fixing, given that "fixing" seems to be synonymous with "testing more often" and "mandating more [unfunded] silliness" in the eyes of our legislators.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
There are a lot of well-educated, intelligent people all over the country who won't settle for the bare-minimum approach the public school systems generally have to take. I'm not surprised the ones in Washington won't, either.
Do the schools need fixed? Oh yeah. Do the Powers That Be need to make it a priority? Ideally. But I'm also not sure the average fourth grade class can stand much more fixing, given that "fixing" seems to be synonymous with "testing more often" and "mandating more [unfunded] silliness" in the eyes of our legislators.
You're right.

For the record, all 3 of my kids have been public school kids (our baby is about to graduate). My wife & I feel that they've gotten VERY good educations. But part of the reason is because we've been heavily involved, as parents. Another reason is because we've had good public schools to send them to.

So here's my pondering, chin-scratching question... How quickly might things improve (such as public schools, social security, etc.) if our elected officials had to live like the rest of us?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,839,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreySH View Post
That's what I'm asking.

I thought I had heard that, and am asking if it's correct or not.

Okay, after a little Googling, here's what I've found...
- She's the vice president of community and external affairs at the University of Chicago Hospitals - a job she got about the time Barack was elected to the Senate.
- Michelle Obama has quit her $215,000 dream job and demoted herself to queen. (From Salon, so I don't know just how reliable that is.)

OK so four years ago Michelle Obama began earning $215K per year.

I agree that $215K is above Middle Class. But prior to that position and prior to Obama publishing his original book a second time, they were living in a small condo and enjoying a middle class lifestyle.

Nobody made the Obamas- they made themselves. They are truly living the American dream of getting an education, developing a lucrative career, and enjoying the accomplishments and success.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
OK so four years ago Michelle Obama began earning $215K per year.

I agree that $215K is above Middle Class. But prior to that position and prior to Obama publishing his original book a second time, they were living in a small condo and enjoying a middle class lifestyle.

Nobody made the Obamas- they made themselves. They are truly living the American dream of getting an education, developing a lucrative career, and enjoying the accomplishments and success.
So rather than just screaming at me - which you, for some reason, have chosen to do - why didn't you just answer my original question about Michelle's job?

It was a question, for crying out loud.

You really need to settle down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.