Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 08:37 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,441,841 times

Advertisements

President Bush Gives in to Iraqi's to avoid leaving decisions to Obama.

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 11/19/2008 | Why the U.S. blinked on its troop agreement with Iraq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 10:43 AM

858 posts, read 1,501,612 times
Sweet.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Blinked? Three years is not enough time for the troops to leave after a well-earned victory - all because of the surge/troops?

Seems Obama risks everything if he tries to immediately withdraw according to his plan of 18 months.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:29 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Blinked? Three years is not enough time for the troops to leave after a well-earned victory - all because of the surge/troops?

Seems Obama risks everything if he tries to immediately withdraw according to his plan of 18 months.
Did you bother to listen to the video???

This agreement will tie the hands of US troops in Iraq..

The troops capabilities will be extremely limited and the Iraqis will have real power over our troops' capabilities - it will change drastically how the military operates and will render our stay there useless.

They cannot raid suspected terrorist locations without an Iraqi court order... may as well telephone the terrorists and say 'get ready, here we come'.

U.S. troops can be prosecuted for crimes against Iraqis...

It is a mess of an agreement.... Obama should do all in his power to overturn it, and get our troops out of there asap...

It sounds exactly like something Bush would agree with - in keeping with totally screwing up the war effort.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Did you bother to listen to the video???

This agreement will tie the hands of US troops in Iraq..

The troops capabilities will be extremely limited and the Iraqis will have real power over our troops' capabilities - it will change drastically how the military operates and will render our stay there useless.

They cannot raid suspected terrorist locations without an Iraqi court order... may as well telephone the terrorists and say 'get ready, here we come'.

U.S. troops can be prosecuted for crimes against Iraqis...

It is a mess of an agreement.... Obama should do all in his power to overturn it, and get our troops out of there asap...

It sounds exactly like something Bush would agree with - in keeping with totally screwing up the war effort.
Exactly. I hope Obama overturns it. Bush is trying to totally ruin our country before he leaves office. He can't leave for Texas fast enough for me.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:02 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
If that agreement goes through, Obama needs to withdraw our troops immediately.

In spite of our extended "visit" there, I would have serious concerns about our troops being subject to Iraqi prosecution. I'm sure there are many high ranking officials who are still fuming that we invaded their country and imposed ourselves on them and they are anxious to prove some points.

I'm sick to my stomach right now- having visions of US soldiers being decapitated or hung in the manner Saddam Hussein was and it being televised internationally.

This is not a good thing.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
If that agreement goes through, Obama needs to withdraw our troops immediately.

In spite of our extended "visit" there, I would have serious concerns about our troops being subject to Iraqi prosecution. I'm sure there are many high ranking officials who are still fuming that we invaded their country and imposed ourselves on them and they are anxious to prove some points.

I'm sick to my stomach right now- having visions of US soldiers being decapitated or hung in the manner Saddam Hussein was and it being televised internationally.

This is not a good thing.
It certainly is not a good thing. It makes me sick, also. I already felt like Bush didn't care about our troops, although he acts like he does, now I know.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:32 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,838,527 times
My best friend from childhood's oldest son is serving with the National Guard in Iraq as we speak. He is 20 years old. Many in Iraq are probably waiting eagerly to pounce on an opportunity to execute retribution on America for the events at Gitmo.

I just cannot believe that Bush would even consider supporting this.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 AM

I cannot get the image out of my head of him dancing on the steps of the White House while he was waiting for McCain to show up. Thousands of men and women losing their lives or physically and/or mentally messed up forever and he is dancing like some clown. I will never get that image out of my head.

Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
This agreement will put our brave troops at even greater risk and is vile. I can not conceive under what circumstances anyone would think this agreement does anything except provide more money and blood to prop up a weak government that treats us with contempt. For heaven's sake get our troops out of there NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections