Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,892 times

Advertisements

Obama's committee will not accept contributions from corpations, PAC's, non-citizens, lobbyist not registered with the federal government or registered foreign agents.
Clip:
Barack Obama’s inaugural committee is limiting the amount of donations that it will accept to $50,000, part of his continuing pledge to limit the influence of money in government and a signal that Mr. Obama intends to encourage the public to participate in his inaugural.
Inaugurations of previous presidents have accepted single donations as high as $250,000.

...Linda Douglass, a spokesman for the committee, said he expected to incur costs that past presidents had not because he wants to open as many events as possible to the public.
“This inauguration is more than just a celebration of an election, this is an event that can be used to inspire and galvanize the public to act,” she added. “That is what we’re aiming for.”
Obama to Limit Inaugural Donations - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:51 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,175 times
He is an honest man but sadly much of what he promised he will not do.
Leaving Iraq and health care for starters

Old 11-25-2008, 06:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savimbi View Post
He is an honest man but sadly much of what he promised he will not do.
Leaving Iraq and health care for starters
Only those blinded by their hate will actually rail against what doesn't get done, but he will try, and he will have more success than most people foresee, but he won't get the whole pick list completed.

The main thing, he will try, and it is better to try and fail than to not try at all. McCain would not have tried, as he believes that the status quo is acceptable.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:10 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Only those blinded by their hate will actually rail against what doesn't get done, but he will try, and he will have more success than most people foresee, but he won't get the whole pick list completed.

The main thing, he will try, and it is better to try and fail than to not try at all. McCain would not have tried, as he believes that the status quo is acceptable.
Not keeping the main promise of stopping the war in Iraq wasn't a pick list....he ran his campaign and was elected on that premise. However, while he was making the ridiculous promise to all the people who didn't know spit about the war...those of us who didn't vote for him knew full well that he shouldn't/couldn't keep that particular campaign promise.

Last edited by GloryB; 11-26-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 11-26-2008, 02:30 PM

Compared to the corporate w h o r e's inaugural donations in 2005.

Quote:
Nearly half of the $40 million fundraising goal set by President Bush's private inaugural committee has been met, paid for almost entirely by US corporations. According to a new analysis by the government watchdog group Public Citizen, 96 percent of the $17.8 million raised is from corporations or their chairpersons, CEOs, or presidents.
Bush Inaugural to Ride High on Unregulated Corporate Donations - The NewStandard

Bush is the 'intern' of the corporations, but he delegates the middle class taxpayers to be the ones on their knees servicing the CEO's

Old 11-26-2008, 02:34 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

So you're saying it's changed from "Yes We Can" to Yes We'll Try ?

Do you mind explaining that one to me?

Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
So you're saying it's changed from "Yes We Can" to Yes We'll Try ?

Do you mind explaining that one to me?
Not at all, but I am also a realist. Getting the corrupt bastard currently in office out is step #1, now there is 8 years of his corruption, gutting of the constitution, and gratuitous back room deals with Wall St. and corporations that would make a street walker gasp, and I fear irreparable damage done to this country's mindset and reputation to start to undo.

And as the knuckle dragging crowd drags their fists to their keyboards I am sure that even a minor failure will be trumpeted as a total failure of the presidency. I'm over this utter stupidity and hatred this substrata of our society is exhibiting. It is like you are rooting for Obama to fail, and take the country down the tubes in the process. Have you no pride? Where is your allegiance, cause it clearly isn't with your country, and it's people.

The selfish me me me me me bastards will never learn, and apparently by the tone of the posts here, never change. How miserable they must be in their self-centered hate filled world of delusional fears.

Remember your boy was going to return "integrity to the White House" How did that work out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections