Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,847,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
That is a legitimate concern about the gender of the Secretary of State and how they will be received by different cultures. The cultural discrimination that exists in parts of the Moslem world is a possible hinderance she might have to deal with. In addition both she and Obama might face cultural challenges with the Russians who don't seem to have anyone in their political structure who looks like either Clinton or Obama and they have a history of non tolerance towards Blacks and how many females are in their government.
The day any POTUS begins pandering to the sexism and whims of other nations is the day I would become involved in trying to repeal the election that put them in that seat.

I honestly don't belive McCain would have bypassed a woman for any role because other countries might not like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 05:22 PM

31,689 posts, read 41,105,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
The day any POTUS begins pandering to the sexism and whims of other nations is the day I would become involved in trying to repeal the election that put them in that seat.

I honestly don't belive McCain would have bypassed a woman for any role because other countries might not like it.
Being a pragmatist and having a critical need that is essential results in?

Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,486,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
"They are both not ready for the 3 a.m. call" - Susan Rice, incoming Ambassador to the United Nations on President-Elect Obama and incoming Sec. of State Clinton's run for the presidency. DOH!
I see she's ready to work for Obama

Old 12-02-2008, 01:46 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,185,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
This should in no way be a legitimate concern for U.S. foreign policy. We should not base our selections for our most prominent positions on how a few countries view women and or minorities. She and Obama in their diversity will be a symbol of our foreign policy. We've already seen with the election of Obama, Al-Queda leaders have been reduced to reaching for reasons to hate us calling Obama childish names..To say they will have a harder time then a white male is completely absurd. The U.S. sets U.S. foreign policy, not another country. These countries are more concerned with policy not who the messenger is. If they don't respect the woman, they'll have to respect her words.
That's what I tried to point out in my post....these other countries realize it's not just one person they will be dealing with but the entire force and power of the United States.

ALSO: if these backwards countries SEE a woman who has power maybe it will help with THEIR stupid sexist attitude.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:06 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,646,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasulady View Post
The Middle East is what our country needs to concentrate in and I feel a man would be a better choice as Secretary of State? What do you feel?

I am glad that Gates will stay on for awhile anyway.
I think the Middle East is not really a reason to choose or not choose a woman - the MidEast envoy and individual ambassadors are far more important.

While I might not have appointed HRC to the position, the appointment makes both political and positional sense. Purely speaking, she shifts from being a potential opponent and gadfly for the next 4 years to a spokesman for the administration. Further, reading Obama, I think he has grown to appreciate her - and with her in that position, she can better serve the government as a whole.

But key to this appointment is the regard with which she and her husband (yes, him) are held in the rest of the world - not merely the governments but among the people.

One of the biggest problems I see us as having going into this Presidential term is the opinion of the world's citizens of us. From invasion to Abu Ghraib to Guantanamo, our reputation has taken an incredibly bashing. Putting Hillary front and center to the world says:
1) I am strong enough to embrace my enemy and wise enough to see strength and use it;
2) The America of the Clintons shines as an example for me, internationally - The America of the Obamas will shine, as well
3) Those of you looking for a reason to hope for the future, know that the hope that was taken from you has been restored.

Stupidly or not, the myth we sold the world about America has been more widely believed than we could have imagined. Bush tarnished it - but not irretrievably. This is just one symbolic step on the way back. It is still a long, hard, and dusty road - but it is a very important one.

Now to see if we're ready for the long march.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
I think the Middle East is not really a reason to choose or not choose a woman - the MidEast envoy and individual ambassadors are far more important.

While I might not have appointed HRC to the position, the appointment makes both political and positional sense. Purely speaking, she shifts from being a potential opponent and gadfly for the next 4 years to a spokesman for the administration. Further, reading Obama, I think he has grown to appreciate her - and with her in that position, she can better serve the government as a whole.

But key to this appointment is the regard with which she and her husband (yes, him) are held in the rest of the world - not merely the governments but among the people.

One of the biggest problems I see us as having going into this Presidential term is the opinion of the world's citizens of us. From invasion to Abu Ghraib to Guantanamo, our reputation has taken an incredibly bashing. Putting Hillary front and center to the world says:
1) I am strong enough to embrace my enemy and wise enough to see strength and use it;
2) The America of the Clintons shines as an example for me, internationally - The America of the Obamas will shine, as well
3) Those of you looking for a reason to hope for the future, know that the hope that was taken from you has been restored.

Stupidly or not, the myth we sold the world about America has been more widely believed than we could have imagined. Bush tarnished it - but not irretrievably. This is just one symbolic step on the way back. It is still a long, hard, and dusty road - but it is a very important one.

Now to see if we're ready for the long march.
Well said

Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 AM

24,452 posts, read 23,138,229 times
Hillary wanted the job, Obama had to give it to her. End of story. If it doesn't work out, then we're in trouble. But Condi Rice and Madeline Albright could do the job, so why wouldn't it be good for a woman to do it? I can't imagine a worse potential SOS than John Kerry. Well, maybe Al Gore or Dick Cheney.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,888,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
PUH-lease don't compare Hillary with Laura...Yes, they both have first lady experience but that's ALL Laura The Vapid has.
If you do a resume check on Hillary I think you'll find she is quite qualified.

Have you heard that she's a Senator now?????
Is there ANY reason to slam Laura Bush? Nothing in this thread, nothing that her husband or the former President or his Senator soon to be Sec of State wife or the President Elect or his wife has one single thing to do with Laura Bush.

[mod cut]

No matter what anyone thinks of the current president, one shows himself a complete kool-aid drinking partisan if they have anything but praise for Laura Bush. She held the position of first lady with grace and dignity. She has championed children's education (specifically literacy) and has had an expert voice in the arena as an educator and a librarian (MA in Library Science from the U of Texas). She has also championed women's health issues.

She has been a great support for her husband and has spoken with aplomb in interviews about White House policies when the media bias against her husband has been at its height.

Does she have Hillary's ambition for a personal political life for herself? Obviously not. Does this make her "vapid?" Far from it.

[mod cut]

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-02-2008 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 12-02-2008, 04:12 PM

The Hillary Test - THE WEEK
The star turn belonged, of course, to Hillary Clinton, whose elevation to Secretary of State was opposed by some of Obama’s closest advisers. Some still worry about the risks, real or imagined. In the latter category is the notion that Clinton somehow will outshine President Obama. But no one in a cabinet outshines the President, and Obama has less to fear in this regard than most.

Other risks, however, are real. To dispel them, Clinton will have to pass the Hillary Test in the days and months ahead.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,185,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Is there ANY reason to slam Laura Bush? Nothing in this thread, nothing that her husband or the former President or his Senator soon to be Sec of State wife or the President Elect or his wife has one single thing to do with Laura Bush.

[mod cut]

No matter what anyone thinks of the current president, one shows himself a complete kool-aid drinking partisan if they have anything but praise for Laura Bush. She held the position of first lady with grace and dignity. She has championed children's education (specifically literacy) and has had an expert voice in the arena as an educator and a librarian (MA in Library Science from the U of Texas). She has also championed women's health issues.

She has been a great support for her husband and has spoken with aplomb in interviews about White House policies when the media bias against her husband has been at its height.

Does she have Hillary's ambition for a personal political life for herself? Obviously not. Does this make her "vapid?" Far from it.

[mod cut].
I was responding to post #9. And have the freedom to have any opinion I want.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-02-2008 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: edited post you quoted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections