Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:43 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yea, FDR is the only president who stomped on the liberties of it's citizenry, please, move on.
I didn't say the only one, it hasn't exactly gotten better in the last 75 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:47 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
My mom says FDR kept them from starving to death. Guess it all depends on where you were and what you were doing in 1932.

She was the 7-year-old daughter of sharecroppers who were dirt poor before the Depression.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:49 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My mom says FDR kept them from starving to death. Guess it all depends on where you were and what you were doing in 1932.
Yeah, but just look at all of the nefarious stuff he had to do to save your mom . . . .

Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Yeah, but just look at all of the nefarious stuff he had to do to save your mom . . . .

Salvage an economy and defeat the Nazi's all at the same time. What a loser!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:53 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
Quote:
Salvage an economy and defeat the Nazi's all at the same time. What a loser!
And he killed himself doing it - makes him a stupid loser . . .

Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:

She was the 7-year-old daughter of sharecroppers who were dirt poor before the Depression.
And my grandfather lost literally every coin of his savings that was in a (not) safe-deposit box at a bank when FDR had gold coins confiscated, replaced with paper FRN's, which lost nearly 50 percent of their value in short order...yeah great president.

No one starved under Herbert Hoover before FDR got in, and the worst of the Depression happened under him. Private charities did an exceptional job meeting the challenges the Depression brought. FDR's fiscal policies actually prolonged the Depression.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:57 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
For instance, a priest who had a popular radio show (who in fact came up with the social security idea) both had the FCC targeting him and FDR pressured the church to silence him.
I share your antipathy for FDR, but the social security idea has been around since Thomas Paine, at the very latest.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I share your antipathy for FDR, but the social security idea has been around since Thomas Paine, at the very latest.
In various versions I suppose, but the modern version (which FDR rejected before he decided to support it claiming it as his own idea) originated during the Depression era.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, the first income tax was impose in 1861, now according to Wiki, FDR wasn't born until 1882 sooo.
You information is incomplete. The Revenue Act of 1861 was indeed the first income tax. The income tax was levied at 3% on all incomes higher than $800 a year. In 1862 Congress created a two-tiered rate structure, with taxable incomes up to $10,000 taxed at a 3% rate and higher incomes taxed at 5%. A standard deduction of $600 was enacted and a variety of deductions were permitted. The income tax was abolished in 1872.

After the ratification of the 16th Amendment Congress passed a new income tax law with rates beginning at 1% and rising to 7% for taxpayers with income in excess of $500,000. Less than 1% of the population paid income tax at the time.

After the stock market crash of 1929, and in the face of rising budget deficits which reached $2.7 billion in 1931, Congress followed the prevailing economic wisdom at the time and passed the Tax Act of 1932 which increased tax rates once again. This was followed by another tax increase in 1936 that further improved the government's finances while further weakening the economy. By 1936 the lowest tax rate had reached 4% and the top rate was up to 79%. No President, before or since, has increased personal income taxes more than FDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As for Marijuana, the lord giveth and the lord taketh away. FDR ended prohibition so you get to at least get to drink a beer. Either way the idea for outlawing marijuana wasn't Roosevelts but former bootleg slayer Harry Anslinger who nearly put out of business by the end of prohibition lobbied for making use of marijuana a Federal crime. He argued, quite correctly, that all 48 states had some law restricting the use of marijuana and such prohibitions were apart of the 1928 International Opium Convention Treaty.

Avoid looking dumb, study history!
FDR did not end prohibition. Presidents play no role in the amendment ratification process. Prohibition ended when the state legislatures ratified the 21st Amendment in 1933.

Harry Anslinger was the first Commissioner of the Bureau of Narcotics under the Department of the Treasury, created in 1930, and appointed by President Hoover (three years before Prohibition ended).

You should follow your own advice about history.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
In 1932 my mom and dad had been engaged for 2 years waiting for the Depression to end so they could get married. They both worked for Montgomery Ward in Kansas City. Mom said she and others would get called into the boss's office and told you are making $12 a week. We have to fire you. We can hire you back at $10 a week. They had no choice as they needed to work. Finally in 1934, mom told dad it was now or never. They got married in Feb that year. Dad said he married Mom for her money! She was making $2 more each week than he was. In that time frame, they were able to buy a house and have it paid for when they got married. Wedding presents were things like a dish towel, a large mixing bowl, pillow cases, drinking glasses. Mom said people gave from what they had. Montgomery Ward gave them a book case and a three leg decorative table. I still have the furniture and some of the other presents given to them so long ago.
If it wasn't for your posts about FDR, I wouldn't be thinking about my folks marriage at this moment. Thanks.
Oh, and my Mom never worked under SS. She quit her job when she got married.
OK Carry on--back to your debate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections