Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:35 AM

425 posts, read 665,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Ok, OK. I gotcha.
About time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:40 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Obama is half white and half black yet he is called black. Tiger Woods is 3/4 Thai and 1/4 black and yet again he is called black. I don't get it.

Last edited by Pilot1; 12-15-2008 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Quite the contrary, Woods was forced into coining the phrase as a result of the tremendous amount of attention both good and bad placed upon him in the effort to lionize his rise to fame. It wasn't black folks who demanded that Tiger woods identify his ethnic identity but it was certainly in the medias interest and I have no doubt that it was in the interest of Nike and Oldsmobile.
Perhaps you didn't read the article....

Quote:
Woods made his remarks on "Oprah," when he was asked if it bothered him to be called an African-American. "It does," he said. "Growing up, I came up with this name: I'm a 'Cablinasian.'"
So how do you know who demanded him to identify his ethnic ID? Tiger says it was when he was growing up that he coined the phrase. Oprah was the one who brought it into the spotlight.

Quote:
I will be most impressed with that line of argument when white folks cease to being white, so far the only color that seems to need to be dropped from the color chart is the color black.
Actually when white people make any big deal of their color, white apologists and blacks already have a phrase for that, its called "white supremacy". The idea that whites who are proud of their whiteness are that way because of bigotry, hatred, and ties or exposures to hate groups or their messages. When black groups are proud, they are merely proud and trying to improve things for blacks.
I wish I wasn't looked at as a white person. Growing up in small town MS would have been a lot easier if as kids we wouldn't have been programmed to divide ourselves by color. Its basically socially approved segregation. i realize we aren't that far removed from a time when the racial divide was deep and ignorance and hatred were widespread. But I would like to hope that in my lifetime people of all races will identify themselves far less by race and much more by who they are under their skin, a dream MLK shared with the world. We are not there yet.
There are still a lot of Native Americans who despise whites for the way white people came to this country and robbed and raped their tribes. I realize I would be seen as simply a white person by a NA with that mindset. The reality is that my heritage is mostly Irish that transitioned here when Irish people were not popular and were not treated like other white citizens. I also have NA blood in me as well, but since I do not look much like one, I am simply a white guy. How about I am just a human?

As for Obama, if he wishes to be identified as black, African American, or whatever he chooses, he has that right and ability. I agree that he is perceived as being black because of his appearance, so I understand that. His bi-racial make up does not discredit anything at all, but IMO makes his story even more interesting.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:41 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Perhaps you didn't read the article....

Perhaps you are mistaken on that point. Well that's not true, you are mistaken.

"Actually when white people make any big deal of their color, white apologists and blacks already have a phrase for that, its called "white supremacy"."

Oh, puleeze! When folks proclaim William Shakespeare, Mozart, Da Vinci, John Locke, or Curly, Larry and Moe no one says a word. Open any text book and it is impossible to miss white folks trumpeting their pride in their ethnicity the problem arises when it is done to the exclusion of all others.

"I wish I wasn't looked at as a white person."

Why? What is wrong with being a white person or even being viewed as one?

"But I would like to hope that in my lifetime people of all races will identify themselves far less by race and much more by who they are under their skin, a dream MLK shared with the world."

Personally, I don't want to live in a color blind society. My blackness, or more accurately brownness signifies a culture and history that defines who I am underneath my skin and I might point out that isn't of necessity a negative. To me it signifies a culture that brought as much to the world as Jazz, R&B, the blues, Richard Wright, Langston Huges, James Baldwin and Countee Cullen as it has suffered from the vicssitudes of racism and slavery. To me, it is no different that wearing Claddagh ring.

Quote:
but IMO makes his story even more interesting.
My point exactly.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:45 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I know a lot of biracial people (those who have one "black" parent and one "white" parent who refuse to acknowledge their white family because they were treated so badly by them. Retired NBA star Jayson Williams wrote about this in his biography, although he just points out the offending relatives rather than rejecting that whole side of his family.
Well, believe me, that is not the case with my grandson. If there ever was a child that grew up loved by everyone in the family it is my grandson. That is true of his white relatives and his black relatives. He is the nicest, smartest, sweetest, kindess person in the world so it is very easy for us all to love him. He grew up as an Army brat so half of his friends growing up had various ethnic and racial mixes in their DNA. In the Army it is no big deal. With both families it was no big deal. He just has gone with the black designation because that is how he is perceived when people look at him so he doesn't go through life wearing a sign saying; "Pay no attention to what you see....I'm really half white." So, in his case, it isn't anything to do with rejection....just acceptance of life in America.

Old 12-15-2008, 11:29 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Perhaps you are mistaken on that point. Well that's not true, you are mistaken.
Okay, so you did read it, which makes it harder to understand why you said:

Quote:
Quite the contrary, Woods was forced into coining the phrase as a result of the tremendous amount of attention both good and bad placed upon him in the effort to lionize his rise to fame. It wasn't black folks who demanded that Tiger woods identify his ethnic identity but it was certainly in the medias interest and I have no doubt that it was in the interest of Nike and Oldsmobile.
and then you skipped my question of:
Quote:
So how do you know who demanded him to identify his ethnic ID? Tiger says it was when he was growing up that he coined the phrase. Oprah was the one who brought it into the spotlight.
Quote:
Oh, puleeze! When folks proclaim William Shakespeare, Mozart, Da Vinci, John Locke, or Curly, Larry and Moe no one says a word. Open any text book and it is impossible to miss white folks trumpeting their pride in their ethnicity the problem arises when it is done to the exclusion of all others.
Perhaps you could give a more current example. As the levels of discrimination started dropping and segregation started going away, the history books became more and more full of blacks that have accomplished amazing things. I don't write the textbooks anyway.

I do recall though, going through school that when we were taught about white men, I wouldn't have known they were white without the pictures in the books. But blacks were always mentioned as "he was the first black this, the first black that, etc."
But back to your examples, pretty weak. I actually remember spending more time on George Washington Carver than any of them, and found him more interesting anyway.

Quote:
Why? What is wrong with being a white person or even being viewed as one?
There is nothing wrong with being any color. I would rather be identified by whats inside though.
Quote:
Personally, I don't want to live in a color blind society. My blackness, or more accurately brownness signifies a culture and history that defines who I am underneath my skin and I might point out that isn't of necessity a negative. To me it signifies a culture that brought as much to the world as Jazz, R&B, the blues, Richard Wright, Langston Huges, James Baldwin and Countee Cullen as it has suffered from the vicssitudes of racism and slavery. To me, it is no different that wearing Claddagh ring.
Thats your choice. I tend to think a color blind society would be nice. Just a difference of opinions.

My point exactly.[/quote]

Old 12-15-2008, 11:46 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Is Obama White, Black or Neither?

When my son was young, I told him one day that his black friend had come by when he wasn't home. My son said "He isn't my black friend.....he's just my friend."
I think it would be a good idea to look at Obama the same way.
He's our President.....doesn't matter what color.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:02 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
About time...
You say something?

Old 12-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Obama is half white and half black yet he is called black. Tiger Woods is 3/4 Thai and 1/4 black and yet again he is called black. I don't get it.
Check the history.......

Old 12-15-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Well, believe me, that is not the case with my grandson. If there ever was a child that grew up loved by everyone in the family it is my grandson. That is true of his white relatives and his black relatives. He is the nicest, smartest, sweetest, kindess person in the world so it is very easy for us all to love him. He grew up as an Army brat so half of his friends growing up had various ethnic and racial mixes in their DNA. In the Army it is no big deal. With both families it was no big deal. He just has gone with the black designation because that is how he is perceived when people look at him so he doesn't go through life wearing a sign saying; "Pay no attention to what you see....I'm really half white." So, in his case, it isn't anything to do with rejection....just acceptance of life in America.
You're a wonderful grandma......but yes, it always stands that if you LOOK like a black person (a definition which in turn encompasses a huge spectrum of people) or are KNOWN to have black/mulatto/biracial people in your background, society at large sees you as black, even while acknowledging you are mixed........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections