Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:04 PM

2,311 posts, read 2,829,447 times

Advertisements

Excellent post ovcatto.

I think the only way certain members of the right will be happy is if Obama was trying to be the ring leader at a three ring press conference everyday with only Limbaugh, Coulter, and a few bloggers constantly asking for his birth certificate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoey View Post
Excellent post ovcatto.

I think the only way certain members of the right will be happy is if Obama was trying to be the ring leader at a three ring press conference everyday with only Limbaugh, Coulter, and a few bloggers constantly asking for his birth certificate.
Oh, goodness you left out Hannity!

Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Hence your thread assertion that Obama is shutting out "certain media" is entirely bogus.
I don't think it's entirely bogus, but neither is it entirely correct either.
I think Marin left too many unanswered questions in her column for it to be deemed bogus or not bogus. Her inuendos can be read in different ways.

As quoted earlier "Obama always has before him a list of correspondents who’ve been advised they will be called upon that day." -
Questions Marin did not answer are those such as:
Who is picking the correspondents
Are they giving equal opportunities at each press op (Marin may be allowed to ask at one but not at another, etc.)
Are they only allowing the "kind" reporters to ask questions

I got from reading her post that Marin finds the role of and by the press pretty "Bizarro" - not the normal attitude or actions of the press.

Quote:
As ferociously as we march like villagers with torches against Blagojevich, we have been, in the true spirit of the Bizarro universe, the polar opposite with the president-elect. Deferential, eager to please, prepared to keep a careful distance.
The Obama news conferences tell that story, making one yearn for the return of the always-irritating Sam Donaldson to awaken the slumbering press to the notion that decorum isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Obama, Blago and Bizarro Plotline - Carol Marin

Is this statement in http://www.allheadlinenews.com/ (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/ Insisting - broken link) true or false? I don't know. I did not read that in the Bizarro article (unless I missed it). Does that mean they made it up or have they heard Marin say this in another column or elsewhere? I have no idea.
Quote:
Insisting that this sort of lapdog media behavior would never have been acceptable during Bush's administration, Marin is urging journalists not to allow themselves to be awed into submission by the media's fixation with Barack Obama. Journalists Urged Not To Become "Lapdogs" For Obama | AHN | January 14, 2009 (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7013713334 - broken link)

Old 01-14-2009, 09:28 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,217,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
I don't think it's entirely bogus, but neither is it entirely correct either.
I think Marin left too many unanswered questions in her column for it to be deemed bogus or not bogus. Her inuendos can be read in different ways.
If the columnist didn't provide enough information to decide, then a post that claims "Obama is shutting out reporters" is bogus.

If I said that ELOrocks17 is 12 years old, you would call that a bogus claim. It wouldn't be valid for me to defend the claim by saying that you can't tell one way or the other from his/her posts. I should have positive evidence for the fact if I make the claim.

The OP is totally bogus - it's troll droppings.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
vec101, if you can't discern the disingenuous spin in the following quotation from the piece written by Carol Marin, then I can't help you.

"According to Sun-Times columnist and long-time Chicago journalist, Carol Marin, journalists at Barack Obama news conferences have come to realize that Obama has pre-picked those journalists whom he will allow to ask him questions at the conference and many of them now "don't even bother raising" their hands to be called upon."

Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Just give Obama some time! ....and he'll bring all his answers down off the mountain carved on big stone tablets.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
vec101, if you can't discern the disingenuous spin in the following quotation from the piece written by Carol Marin, then I can't help you.

"According to Sun-Times columnist and long-time Chicago journalist, Carol Marin, journalists at Barack Obama news conferences have come to realize that Obama has pre-picked those journalists whom he will allow to ask him questions at the conference and many of them now "don't even bother raising" their hands to be called upon."
Believe I am just being more open minded than you or you are just being a right-fighter (as in have to be right). I'm not saying the original post is right or wrong, I'm saying Marin's words can be interpreted in different ways. Personally, I think they stretched things a bit. But that is pretty common in the media, EVEN in the mainstream media.

I think the most interesting part of Marin's article is pointing out the actions of the press themselves.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Just give Obama some time! ....and he'll bring all his answers down off the mountain carved on big stone tablets.
Well that would be very thoughtful of him. Then we won't have to raise lots of $$$ to build a big fancy monument for him ten years from now. We can use the stone tablets!

Old 01-15-2009, 04:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
At least the man is having a lot of conferences for people to be shut out of. Hard to be shut out if they aren't held. Guess that means President Bush was shutting all of the press out. Guess he had a mike and just spoke to an empty room weekly.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So let me get this straight. Any criticism of obama is now deemed to be a smear?

Yeah, some things never change. You are not allowed to speak ill of the annointed one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections