Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:46 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Like I said...If these "millions" of people actually went to work, instead of attnding some worthless ceremony, maybe we wouldnt continue in this financial mess...
A worthless ceremony? It holds lots of significance and is a historic occasion. I voted for Bob Barr but I'll be glued to the television on Jan. 20th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 05:34 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
[quote=tangodoodles; [B]Clearly us Democrats are doing something right.[/[/b]quote]

No, the Democrats are not doing anything right! Democrats have driven the economies of many states and cities to the brink of collapse. Your city of SF and state of CA are just two exmaples. LA is in terrible shape as well. Democrats have had complete control over New Orleans and Detroit for years. Look at the solid Democratic states and cities that are in shambles. CA, NY, IL, NJ, MI, MA, RI... the list goes on.

There are not many states doing well, but they are all either right leaning or solid Republicans.

The fact that Democrats are doing well in elections reflects poorly on the voters. Democrats are now going to do the same thing to America that they did to the state and local municipalities they have controlled. Massive Bailouts, entitlements, regulations, promotion of Unions... it's going to WRECK the economy!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:38 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
[quote=LIS123;7031843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles; [B
Clearly us Democrats are doing something right.[/[/b]quote]

No, the Democrats are not doing anything right! Democrats have driven the economies of many states and cities to the brink of collapse. Your city of SF and state of CA are just two exmaples. LA is in terrible shape as well. Democrats have had complete control over New Orleans and Detroit for years. Look at the solid Democratic states and cities that are in shambles. CA, NY, IL, NJ, MI, MA, RI... the list goes on.

There are not many states doing well, but they are all either right leaning or solid Republicans.

The fact that Democrats are doing well in elections reflects poorly on the voters. Democrats are now going to do the same thing to America that they did to the state and local municipalities they have controlled. Massive Bailouts, entitlements, regulations, promotion of Unions... it's going to WRECK the economy!
WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH BLACKS GOING TO THE INAUGURATION? Keep off the sour grapes kool-aid.

I think if this people want to go to the inauguration... so be it! Good for them!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
[quote=LIS123;7031843]
Quote:

Colorado, controlled by the Rebublicans all but the last two years, is not doing well at all. It was an ill-founded Republican sponsored amendment to the constitution that got us in trouble, and will keep us in trouble if/when the recession ends, for years to come.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:53 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
[quote=LIS123;7031843]
Quote:

If the options are a) raise taxes and be upfront about the money being spent (Democrat) or b) deregulate all industries, allow the corrupt to get richer, and charge all wars and unnecessary spending to a national credit card that forces future generations to foot the bill (Republican). I think I'm going to go with the first option. I'll pay more upfront so my kids have access to good education and health care in the future. Also, as for the bailouts, pretty much all of the Republicans in Congress support the Wall Street bailout so they can help their buddies out but they don't want to help with the Car bailout because their buddies have to pay their workers a decent wage so they want to bust up the unions. Sorry, but all I've seen from these rich Republicans is a continued sense of entitlement and greed. I'm more than willing to pay my fair share in taxes for a better country. I actually feel a sense of duty to my country and to making the country a better place. You're welcome to stop paying all taxes and see your fire, police, library, postal, education and other government provided services disappear. Good luck with that!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM

[quote=tangodoodles;7032090]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post

If the options are a) raise taxes and be upfront about the money being spent (Democrat) or b) deregulate all industries, allow the corrupt to get richer, and charge all wars and unnecessary spending to a national credit card that forces future generations to foot the bill (Republican). I think I'm going to go with the first option. I'll pay more upfront so my kids have access to good education and health care in the future. Also, as for the bailouts, pretty much all of the Republicans in Congress support the Wall Street bailout so they can help their buddies out but they don't want to help with the Car bailout because their buddies have to pay their workers a decent wage so they want to bust up the unions. Sorry, but all I've seen from these rich Republicans is a continued sense of entitlement and greed. I'm more than willing to pay my fair share in taxes for a better country. I actually feel a sense of duty to my country and to making the country a better place. You're welcome to stop paying all taxes and see your fire, police, library, postal, education and other government provided services disappear. Good luck with that!

Raising taxes DESTROYS the economy. Why is California top 5 in taxes, budget deficit AND unemployment? Taxes take money OUT of the private sector and puts it in the hands of Government (which is much less efficient). This country is high OVER-REGULATED. Something like 90% of lawsuits worldwide are filed in this country. That's one of the reasons a lot of major companies have gone public outside the US.

The GOP opposed the initial TARP (aka Bailout) from October in much greater numbers than the Democrats. After seeing what little it did, the GOP just opposed releasing the second half of this money is much greater number than the Democrats.

The Big 3 have been mismanaged, failed to read the market and paid outrageous UAW contracts for years. Until 2008, America was somewhat of a capitalist nation in which failed companies wente Bankrupt. They deserve to go Bankrupt b/c of incompetence and, if jobs are lost, so be it. These companies are going to lose tens of thousands of jobs even with the Bailouts. We just gave more money to GMAC, so it can loan money to people to purchase more cars they can't afford. The noly thing these Bailouts of the Big 3 are doing is wasting more of YOUR tax dollars and prolonging the inevitable (Bankruptcy). If you think Dems support the Big 3 Bailout b/c they're nice, you're wrong. It's b/c they are begholden to Big Labor who donated $ 450 million to their 2008 campaigns.

I don't oppose paying taxes. Taxes are a function of Government spending, which is inefficient by nature. If Government spends less, then we can ALL pay less taxes which is the way it should be. You have it wrong; the states with the HIGHEST taxes have the WORST unemployment (your state included)!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:34 PM

SF has very high taxes itself and an astronomical budget deficit:

SPUR - Report - Business Taxes In San Francisco (http://www.spur.org/documents/040201_report_01.shtm - broken link)

Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
[quote=LIS123;7032690]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Raising taxes DESTROYS the economy. Why is California top 5 in taxes, budget deficit AND unemployment? Taxes take money OUT of the private sector and puts it in the hands of Government (which is much less efficient). This country is high OVER-REGULATED. Something like 90% of lawsuits worldwide are filed in this country. That's one of the reasons a lot of major companies have gone public outside the US.

The GOP opposed the initial TARP (aka Bailout) from October in much greater numbers than the Democrats. After seeing what little it did, the GOP just opposed releasing the second half of this money is much greater number than the Democrats.

The Big 3 have been mismanaged, failed to read the market and paid outrageous UAW contracts for years. Until 2008, America was somewhat of a capitalist nation in which failed companies wente Bankrupt. They deserve to go Bankrupt b/c of incompetence and, if jobs are lost, so be it. These companies are going to lose tens of thousands of jobs even with the Bailouts. We just gave more money to GMAC, so it can loan money to people to purchase more cars they can't afford. The noly thing these Bailouts of the Big 3 are doing is wasting more of YOUR tax dollars and prolonging the inevitable (Bankruptcy). If you think Dems support the Big 3 Bailout b/c they're nice, you're wrong. It's b/c they are begholden to Big Labor who donated $ 450 million to their 2008 campaigns.

I don't oppose paying taxes. Taxes are a function of Government spending, which is inefficient by nature. If Government spends less, then we can ALL pay less taxes which is the way it should be. You have it wrong; the states with the HIGHEST taxes have the WORST unemployment (your state included)!
I respectfully disagree.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:19 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
[quote=LIS123;7031843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123; [B
Look at the solid Democratic states and cities that are in shambles. CA, NY, IL, NJ, MI, MA, RI... the list goes on.
Massachusetts has been run by Republicans from 1991-2007! If you can count.. that's 16 years!
NY was run by Pataki (Rep) for 3 terms 1995 - 2006 (11 years). So thanks a lot you great Republican governors!
And thanks George W for the great job you did the past 8 years! Hurry back to Crawford now.. PLEASE..
Based on the glaring 2 mistakes above I can assume henceforth anything this person says is subject to scrutiny.
And I haven't checked the other states. I do know the governor of IL before the current idiot was a Republican and that one is in jail!
Okay thats 3 states of the above so far.. but it's not my job to do your research.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Like I said...If these "millions" of people actually went to work, instead of attnding some worthless ceremony, maybe we wouldnt continue in this financial mess...
Nice spelling there buddy. Either that or you need a new keyboard.
Maybe these millions aren't working since Bushco and his policies took their jobs away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections