Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Maybe it's those who think gays should not be allowed in the military who should be discharged.
Who would you rather represent your government?
I've been having similar thoughts lately. I'm even starting to think of those who are anti-gay as "anti-American".

Also, a guy who freaks out because a gay guy is standing next to him in a shower is a wimp, in my opinion. What the hell are they afraid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 PM

152 posts, read 212,150 times
Default Flip Flop

Looks like Obama is having second thoughts.
I'm sure, Webster's has a definition, for "deviant behavior."
Just because Pyschologist couldn't explain deviant behavior, or social norms to you, does not make it my problem.
I think they decided to get rid of their headache by putting it off onto our society.
To use a football term, "They punted."
Link:
Obama seeks assessment on gays in military - The Boston Globe

Old 02-01-2009, 10:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Thanks for the update, Neanderthal Man.

It's really hard to some people to open their minds to something other than what their church tells them, isn't it?

Old 02-01-2009, 10:45 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,414,343 times
Even if being gay was morally wrong, don't ask don't tell is a fraudulent and backwards policy

Old 02-02-2009, 03:02 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Thanks for the update, Neanderthal Man.

It's really hard to some people to open their minds to something other than what their church tells them, isn't it?
What was that saying? I think he protests too much? This is how people like Ted Haggard get into trouble.. repression..

Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If all of the blue countries on this map can handle gays in the military, then surely heterosexual American men can handle it. Or are heterosexual American men especially sensitive and insecure and need special treatment?

File:Gay military.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is an amazing map! I had no idea that so many countries allowed openly gay people to serve. We are in the minority among developed nations.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Are we really that developed?

Old 02-02-2009, 08:35 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
we have known for years that most of the world allows gays to serve, even Israel! What are they afraid of? Moral conduct applies to both straight & gays and these countries don't seem to have a problem.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
I've got no problem with this. A gay solider is just as effective as a straight soldier. They shouldn't have to hide who they are.
Everyone, straight or gay, should have to hide their sexuality in the military. If they can't bare that, perhaps an alternative career path is a wise choice.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:15 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Enterprise CV-6 View Post
Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy

Don't you love how Congress finds new ways to spend your tax dollars.

I wonder if Obama knows what kind of nightmare he will open if he does this.

1. You allow Gays in the military.
2. You allow them to get married.
3. You allow them to adopt kids.

The tax picture is as follows;
1. Soldiers draw pay for travel expenses, moving overseas expenses, medical benefits for self spouse and kids, college benefits.
2. Soldiers that are married get extra pay from the government for living expenses for housing.
3. Soldiers are allowed Government Quarters on post if the soldier is married. Does this mean a married male and female get bumped on the waiting list for government quarters because a gay couple was waiting first.
4. The medical cost for our military will go up exponentially to cover AIDS patients.

I can see the 1st Sgt of each unit having to do the following.
1. Make adjustment in barracks assignments to accommodate the Gays.
2. Issue condoms on a daily basis to prevent the spread of AIDS.

I can see our single soldiers saying if he can live in the barracks with his gay partner, why can't my girlfriend stay in the barracks with me.

When a married soldiers is transferred overseas, he has the option to take his wife and kids. The cost is huge to pay for travel per diem, meals, plane tickets, moving company to come in and move your household goods ( say from Colorado Springs to Mainz, Germany ).

Our courts are overloaded now, and we want to add more, Gay marriage. Which opens up Gay divorces.

A soldiers spouse is entitled to social security benefits and survivor benefits. Is a Gay couple going to be entitled to these benefits.

Can you see the stay at home Gay spouse drawing your tax dollars.

If you do not want it to happen contact your Congressman now.

Link:
Obama to End Military's 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Policy
It's not getting bumped if the other people were there first...it's waiting your turn.

Are you in the military? Would you rather them serve than you be drafted... if you are, then nevermind... but think about it. Are their lives more important than heterosexuals that they should be kept out of the military?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections