Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 07:44 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times

Advertisements

Among other things, today the Senate has endorsed legislation that would prohibit the sale and counterfeiting of inauguration tickets to the swearing-in of Barack Obama. Some scalpers are currently asking tens of thousands of dollars for choice seats. They also urged the lower House of Representatives to pass the bill.

If the bill becomes law, people who sell or attempt to sell, or forge tickets to Tuesday's investiture of Obama and vice president Joe Biden could be fined 100,000 dollars and spend a year in jail.

AFP: US Senate passes bill outlawing sale of inaugural tickets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, I agree with Feinstein, who said "The presidential inauguration is one of the most important rituals of our democracy. The chance to witness it should not be bought and sold like tickets to a sporting event."

But on the other hand, think of the potential fund raising opportunity here. Maybe we should sell the tickets. (And of course, IMO, it should be the government doing the selling, not the scalpers.) They could donate the proceeds to new jobs or educational projects, or some other worthy cause.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I'm torn on this issue. On the one hand, I agree with Feinstein, who said "The presidential inauguration is one of the most important rituals of our democracy. The chance to witness it should not be bought and sold like tickets to a sporting event."

But on the other hand, think of the potential fund raising opportunity here. Maybe we should sell the tickets. (And of course, IMO, it should be the government doing the selling, not the scalpers.) They could donate the proceeds to new jobs or educational projects, or some other worthy cause.
But what if the government are the scalpers?

I would lean towards the "let it be free and open", its not like the amounts of money collected would actually do anything constructive. I mean the way things are today, a billion here a trillion there, pretty soon we'll be talking real money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections