Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 12:08 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,261,102 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else think that Obama's caucasion heritage is being lost?

I thought the problem was that it was never clearly established in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,414,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'll never understand why white people are so hung up on "race", now we have to be angry that minorities celebrate their ethnic backgrounds?

I would LOVE to see "white history" celebrated more often, let's remember slavery and the genocide of Native Americans as our first foray into "White History Month", whaddya think?
see now,when you bring up "white history" you selectively mention only bad things as if white=evil.No mention of good things white people have done?Why don't you mention some bad things black people have done?

What do I think o'danny?,I think you need to get off a guilt trip if you are white and if you are black o'danny you need to swallow the pride a little and fess up that blacks or any race for that matter have blood stained hands themselves somehow someway.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,097,482 times
For 355 years, America, has never for one second, considered a descendant of African slaves as being half white, or multi-racial despite the fact that throughout that time their have been literally millions of children born to both Africans and Europeans. And in each and every one of those births, either by law or by social norms, those children were considered, colored, negro or black and no one ever gave a second of thought about those children losing their white ethnic identity. In point of fact, everything instrument of society did it's damnedest to make sure that they DIDn't identity with the persons of European heritage. So, I find this more recent effort of European Americans to reach out an claim one of the bastard children quite fascinating.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:07 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,240,237 times
Does anyone else think that Obama's caucasion heritage is being lost?

Hah ! ! ! I recongnized the same phenomena... oooohhhhh, back in late summer. The guy was born to and fed at the breast of a white woman. A white woman who was never a slave and probly never knew one, including the man who dropped the bun in her oven. The man was never a slave hisself, coming from a foreign country to the U.S. to pursue an education.

NO WHERE ! ! ! NO WHERE ! ! ! is there any relavtivity to american blacks or slavery. ! ! ! NONE WHATSOEVER ! ! ! The guy is only half black and that black half is no more related to black americans than the white half. There is a great deal of relativity to being bamboozled and hood winked. I suppose that's why the Comedy Network News is so amused. Hell, so am I.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,097,482 times
"There is a great deal of relativity to being bamboozled and hood winked."

Yes, it is unfortunate that white folks have been bamboozling themselves for 355 years.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,207,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
For 355 years, America, has never for one second, considered a descendant of African slaves as being half white, or multi-racial despite the fact that throughout that time their have been literally millions of children born to both Africans and Europeans. And in each and every one of those births, either by law or by social norms, those children were considered, colored, negro or black and no one ever gave a second of thought about those children losing their white ethnic identity. In point of fact, everything instrument of society did it's damnedest to make sure that they DIDn't identity with the persons of European heritage. So, I find this more recent effort of European Americans to reach out an claim one of the bastard children quite fascinating.
Interesting and excellent point. I suspect a Rousseauian type view to be at least in part responsible for this point of view.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,534,811 times
Wow, how exciting to log on and see how this thread has taken off! I have loved reading everyone's posts.

Thanks to those of you that sent rep messages. Even though my blood levels weren't where they were supposed to be I managed to beg my doctor into letting me go home. I was in the hospital since last Wednesday and I had had enough.

Thanks again for the interesting posts. I have enjoyed them. Learning so much about my fellow posters has been great. We all breathe the same air after all.

I am ever hopeful for the future. I so love being an American

Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,224,140 times
Wow. The juxtapositioning of ovcatto's comment and that of WillysB is just stunning.

Wish I could rep you, ovcatto.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,211,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Who's celebrating solely his race? Nobody. You are lying.

I'm sorry that your candidate lost. I'm sorry that the 100K people lining Obama's train route, just to catch a glimpse of him on his way to DC makes you feel small and impotent. I'm sorry that you misconstrue the motives of millions who will go to see the inauguration and the 100s of millions who will watch from afar. We are celebrating the END OF BUSH - the worst President in history - and the Inauguration of Barack Obama - the first African-American president and the hope of millions for a positive change after 8 years of disaster.

This is a great event, and worth celebrating for many reasons. Nobody is celebrating solely because he's black.

You have proven exactly what kind of person you are by whining about the lack of celebration for his white heritage. I hope you're proud.
You are so in the wrong here. A whole bunch of black people are celebrating solely because Obama is black. So many people think that Obama's victory is an historic first, all because he is black... and for no other reason.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,689,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Sure here's an example "I think it's better for everybody when we spread the wealth."
Context? You may or may not know that Republican policies that favor the rich have reduced wages and wealth for the vast majority of Americans and concentrated even more of it in the hands of the very richest Americans.

Quote:
Having ideologies that mimick the Communist Manifesto.
Example?

Quote:
Nationalized healthcare.
Do you have a better way of dealing with the fact that millions of Americans do not have access to healthcare? And that thousands unneccessarily die prematurely because of this? Or don't you really care?

Quote:
Taking away my liberties and my wealth to benefit the "common good".
Your liberties have already been decimated by the USA PATRIOT Act and other underhanded measures promoted by George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, the Republican Congress and the ideologues they have appointed to the Federal courts.
Quote:

If I'm wealthy and inclined to benefit the common good, I should be at liberty to benefit it as I see fit, and to the extent I see fit. I should not have my pockets picked at big government's discretion.
Big Government giveth (to the rich), and Big Government taketh away. You should have been concerned about Big Government before you elected Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections