Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:11 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times

Advertisements

The guy was old and living in the past and old people have to be allowed to say things that make us cringe. It was a poor speech and while it was slightly controversial, at least it didn't stink as bad as that no talent beatnik lady's horrible disjointed poem. [Mod edit]
Note to Obama, here's a good place to start slashing the budget: Arts grants that keep people like her from doing things they're more suited for, like flipping burgers, digging ditches, picking up trash.
But the music and singing was first rate, and the high point of an otherwise gloomy and depressing ceremony.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 01-27-2009 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: language-acronym
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:15 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korshak View Post
I wonder about the cognitive abilities of so many here that missed that anti-White racist crack. Wow. And on the day we installed our first post-racial prez, the Rev. is still stirring up the same tired old 1960's era hate speech and divisive rhetoric.
It's actually sad that some have lived in a bubble so tight that they've never heard that phrase or consider it "hate speech". This shows that we still have a long way to go. It's amazing at how far out of the mainstream black leaders have been politically.

For the uninformed, the Rev's closing has been a unifying mantra for years beginning in the civil rights era. I guess if you feel guilty about something, you might take offense. I thought his benediction was fantastic.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Anyone have a transcript? No video ATM
video here, partial transcript here.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:

YouTube - Rev. Joseph Lowery delivers racist address at Obama inauguration

the anti-White part could be expeted, but notice the subtle dig at the Asians!!
I don't have a problem with his speech. It was a good speech on its level. I have a problem with the fact that he seemed out of place in such a solemn, dignified, historical event. He didn't fit the moment and certainly wasn't capable of rising to the occasion.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 01-21-2009 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: removed reference to Rev being from CA

Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I don't have a problem with his speech. It was a good speech IN ITS CLASS. I have a problem with the fact that he seemed out of place in such a solemn, dignified, historical event. Such a low-class, undignified, simple-minded lark from California. He didn't fit the moment and certainly wasn't capable of rising to the occasion.
Huh? Rev. Lowery isn't from California.... Are you confusing him with Rick Warren?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:44 AM

48,138 posts, read 22,007,656 times
I appreciated hearing Rev. Lowrey's prayer.....it didnt offend me in the slightest. There were three prayers at the Inaugural events.....The first by Rev. Robinson, was censored and blocked by Time Warner who bought the exclusive rights to the event on Monday at which Rev. Robinson gave the prayer.....its text was very appropriate and moving.....the second by Pastor Warren... was empty and self serving...and the third by Rev. Lowrey....which was rich and a link to the history of the black community....the fountainhead of the movement that led to Obama's election....I guess President Obama had a right to ask whomsoever he chose to deliver the prayers.

The man does have his problems with clergy....I wonder where he will go to church in Washington?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:47 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Huh? Rev. Lowery isn't from California.... Are you confusing him with Rick Warren?
Maybe so.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:52 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Quote:

YouTube - Rev. Joseph Lowery delivers racist address at Obama inauguration

the anti-White part could be expeted, but notice the subtle dig at the Asians!!
Obviously you have never been to a traditional Black church. It was not racist, you just don't get it.

BTW, what is "expeted"?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I don't have a problem with his speech. It was a good speech on its level. I have a problem with the fact that he seemed out of place in such a solemn, dignified, historical event. He didn't fit the moment and certainly wasn't capable of rising to the occasion.
I think he fit perferctly..He finished the ceremony and passed the torch to Obama. An old dignified civil rights leader handing off to the embodiment of all that he fought and bled for. Could not have been better.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:04 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
It was late and I had been in Washington all day when I wrote the original literation of Lowery's parody, which by the way, everybody in the crowd on the Mall got, whether they were white, brown, yellow, red or white.

The original goes like this;

"White is right. Yellow is mellow. Brown can stick around. Red is dead. And black, get back."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections