Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:07 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times

Advertisements

Almost half of the Republican members of the Senate face reelection in less than 2 years. This party of obstruction and illegal war can be properly downsized if voters are aware of the issues.

Republican Senators up for re-election in 2010.

* Richard Shelby of Alabama
* Lisa Murkowski of Alaska
* John McCain of Arizona
* Mel Martinez of Florida -- will not run
* Johnny Isakson of Georgia
* Mike Crapo of Idaho
* Chuck Grassley of Iowa -- ?
* Sam Brownback of Kansas -- will not run
* Jim Bunning of Kentucky
* David Vitter of Louisiana
* Kit Bond of Missouri -- will not run
* Judd Gregg of New Hampshire
* Richard Burr of North Carolina
* George Voinovich of Ohio -- will not run
* Tom Coburn of Oklahoma -- ?
* Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania -- ?
* Jim DeMint of South Carolina
* John Thune of South Dakota
* Kay Bailey Hutchison of Texas -- may retire to run for Gov.
* Bob Bennett of Utah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 06:10 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Yahoo!!!! A thread that isn't about Obama!

I'm not familiar with all these senators, so I'd love to hear your opinions. Which ones do you think will be a shoe in? Which ones will have problems?

And, do you think McCain will have re-election problems? Sometimes I wonder if he'll end up a scapegoat. I think Jim DeMint has it in for him, and DeMint is pretty powerful.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:11 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yahoo!!!! A thread that isn't about Obama!

I'm not that familiar with these senators, but would love to hear your opinions. Which ones do you think will be a shoe in? Which ones will have problems?
I'm with you on this.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:13 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Arlen Specter's seat is probably pretty up for grabs.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:16 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Three are from the 5 remaining GOP states. They probably won't have any difficulty (unfortunately).

Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Burr and Gregg are the only two I would think are in danger..

Either way, I wish every Republican would be voted out of office all across the nation, that way the Democrats can ruin the country on their own, and learn something called accepting the consequences of their actions.

Better yet, since Republican views are differing and therefore wrong, all Republicans should be rounded up and sent somewhere so they can concentrate on learning the 'right' way of doing things. Not sure what we would call these places of concentration.. It is better if everyone was a Democrat, that way no more questions or scrutiny would be requested, and any law/bill/bailout can pass with absolutely no question, review, or obstruction.

Sounds like a winning plan to me

Old 01-29-2009, 06:35 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
Clean the sucker out! (my new motto)

Old 01-29-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
It is better if everyone was a Democrat, that way no more questions or scrutiny would be requested, and any law/bill/bailout can pass with absolutely no question, review, or obstruction.
Nah, that's not how things work. Let's imagine every Republican mysteriously disappeared. Would we then have unity? Hell, no! The democratic party would immediately split. There's a lot of diversity in the party--the only way it stays united is to have a common enemy. Remove the enemy, and the party splits.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:46 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Nah, that's not how things work. Let's imagine every Republican mysteriously disappeared. Would we then have unity? Hell, no! The democratic party would immediately split. There's a lot of diversity in the party--the only way it stays united is to have a common enemy. Remove the enemy, and the party splits.
I think you're onto something there. During the primaries the Obama vs. Clinton fiasco was hellish. It was funny because at that point, the Democratic party was headed towards self-destruction while McCain took advantage of the situation.

Divide an conquer. I like that strategy, and will be sure to remember it in 2012. Makes me wonder; if the Republican party did shrink down in 2010 and after, would the Democrats split? Sounds to me like the Democrats need the GOP more than they are willing to admit.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Sounds to me like the Democrats need the GOP more than they are willing to admit.
Bingo! And, vice versa. The GOP needs to dems every bit as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections