Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2007, 11:18 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

John McCain, formerly the leading Republican presidential contender, has told The Sunday Telegraph that restoring America's sullied reputation abroad will be "a top priority" if he wins the White House.

The Arizona senator, an Iraq war hawk, was talking aboard the revived Straight Talk Express - the vehicle that made his name during the 2000 presidential election and that he hopes will revive his faltering fortunes this time round.

The bus ferried the senator, his aides, and journalists, to a series of public meetings throughout the flat, snow-covered farmland of rural Iowa, where voters will be the first to express their preferences for the party nominations next January.

Of America's poor image abroad, even with long-time allies, Sen McCain acknowledged candidly: "It is a very dispiriting situation and I know we will have to work hard to improve it."

Sen McCain is a strong supporter of the "surge" of US troop numbers in Iraq and his backing for the war has undercut his standing. In recent weeks, Rudolph Giuliani, 62, the former mayor of New York, has overtaken Sen McCain in the polls.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...3/18/wus18.xml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 01:13 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
The only way we will improve it is to tell Russia to rearm it's nukes and point them at western Europe again. Then suddenly you are going to have France and Germany suddenly say "hey America save our a**".

McCain, I don't know. I like the guy, but he just doesn't seem to have the energy out there for this campaign compared to his last go round.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:57 PM

544 posts, read 1,058,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
John McCain, formerly the leading Republican presidential contender, has told The Sunday Telegraph that restoring America's sullied reputation abroad will be "a top priority" if he wins the White House.

The Arizona senator, an Iraq war hawk, was talking aboard the revived Straight Talk Express - the vehicle that made his name during the 2000 presidential election and that he hopes will revive his faltering fortunes this time round.

The bus ferried the senator, his aides, and journalists, to a series of public meetings throughout the flat, snow-covered farmland of rural Iowa, where voters will be the first to express their preferences for the party nominations next January.

Of America's poor image abroad, even with long-time allies, Sen McCain acknowledged candidly: "It is a very dispiriting situation and I know we will have to work hard to improve it."

Sen McCain is a strong supporter of the "surge" of US troop numbers in Iraq and his backing for the war has undercut his standing. In recent weeks, Rudolph Giuliani, 62, the former mayor of New York, has overtaken Sen McCain in the polls.
I guess his backing for the war didn't undercut him too much.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
I guess his backing for the war didn't undercut him too much.
And Rudy got fewer votes and delegates than Ron Paul.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/3816/rudy22d40b165ie4.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-12-2008, 03:13 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm all for that idea, but he hasn't started off well by explaining that we may be in Iraq for another 100 years. Guess he's old, but not old enough to remember the Young Turk Revolution or Britain's overthrow in the 1930's after they naively held it following WWI.

Ah well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections