Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:51 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Oh so you have irrefutable scientific proof human life does not begin at conception? See, I believe fully in the idea that all people have "a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" and I do not believe anyone has a right to take a life because it's "inconvenient."
So of course you are anti death penalty.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:05 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
How did this turn into a thread on abortion when the article says that medical professionals can still refuse to give abortions? I'm kind of indifferent to the issue, though I'm glad they still allowed people to refuse to perform abortions. No one should be forced to do that.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
So of course you are anti death penalty.......
Yes, I don't trust the government with such power.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:05 PM

22 posts, read 23,152 times
they will always allow med individuals to refuse to do abortions but to allow the only drug store in a remote small town to not fill birth control prescriptions is just not right.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:52 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
If a person wants to be a pharmacist, or nurse, or doctor, or so forth, and not kill other humans, there is no reason they should be forced to do so. Don't like it? Go elsewhere to a different doctor, pharmacist, etc., and maybe next time think before you get in bed with someone...oh, and it takes two to make a pregnancy, funny how fathers have no say in the matter, but do get to pay child support.
Birth control is not killing.
Get it straight ... when you can carry a fetus to term, then you have a say.
All a man does, is supply sperm.
Don't go telling me what to do with my body.
Your rights stop at the end of yours.
Aren't you for getting the government out of our lives?
Except when you want to be a busybody.
______
Arctic hijacked the thread, and turned it into an anti-choice thread even though we've tried to get it back on track more than once.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:57 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
So you simply want to force your views on others and make them do things they find morally repugnant.
And you don't?

The entire issue of birth control by whatever means and whichever form it takes should be left in the very capable hands of women to decide. They are the only ones directly affected by the outcome, and they are more than capable of drawing rational conclusions about their own bodies and social situations.

The government has no business whatever in legislating this matter.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Birth control is not killing.
Get it straight ... when you can carry a fetus to term, then you have a say.
All a man does, is supply sperm.
Don't go telling me what to do with my body.
Your rights stop at the end of yours.
Aren't you for getting the government out of our lives?
Except when you want to be a busybody.
______
Arctic hijacked the thread, and turned it into an anti-choice thread even though we've tried to get it back on track more than once.
There are two humans involved not just the woman. The woman and the baby. Actually three if you include the father as the baby is half his, by genetics. Considering also that the father would have to pay child support if the woman has the baby I'd say the father definately should have more say.

The only purpose for government is to protect basic rights and those include, most importantly, the right to life (as without life you have no other rights to exercise).

Old 03-01-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
And you don't?

The entire issue of birth control by whatever means and whichever form it takes should be left in the very capable hands of women to decide. They are the only ones directly affected by the outcome, and they are more than capable of drawing rational conclusions about their own bodies and social situations.

The government has no business whatever in legislating this matter.
No there's two humans affected, the woman and the young human within her. It may be attached to her body and reliant upon it to stay alive but is a seperate, genetically distinct human.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:15 PM

492 posts, read 962,157 times
Quote:
The right to lifers took it a step further by refusing to provide info on family planning and contraceptives, preventive measures that actually prevent abortions. As long as the health care providers take federal money they need to follow the law.
Where does the law say it's the duty of a health care professional to educate the populace in personal responsibility? Isn't that the job of county protective services? Or ACORN? Oh wait... personal responsibility is not a liberal value.

Last edited by SaladoSam; 03-01-2009 at 08:27 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:
No there's two humans affected, the woman and the young human within her. It may be attached to her body and reliant upon it to stay alive but is a seperate, genetically distinct human.
A cluster of cells is not a person, nor does it nor should it have any rights under the law or the Constitution, and this has been borne out in multiple decisions over the years.

It comes down to very simply an issue of whether a woman owns and operates her own body or whether it is owned by the government. If she owns it, she has every right to have any medical situation corrected as she sees fit. If not, then the government owns her body and, acting in loco parentis, is therefore logically liable to feed clothe, house, and educate any child that is born due to its decrees.

If the government owns the woman's body, then they also have the right to order her to produce children for the good of the state, or order the woman into service as a "comfort woman" for the benefit of government troops.

If you can talk women into once again assuming the mantle of being chattel, more power to you. But I hope you don't mind if I get out of the way while you plead your case to them. Stray bullets do as much damage as intentional ones.

I will state again: Women are much more intelligent than you give them credit for and more than capable of deciding this issue for themselves without any input from any government entity or, particularly, any man, since no man has a stake in the outcome that anywhere approaches the impact on the woman. This woman's issue should be left to women to decide. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections