Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Please attempt to learn how companies operate. Things going up now is due to actions taken 3 months ago. Companies report quarterly, not daily.. Anything going on now is due to actions taken 3 months ago..
So the tanking of the Dow in recent weeks isn't Obama's fault, right? Frankly, I agree with the above; I couldn't understand why so many people were so quick to blame Obama (well, I could, cuz they're the same people who have been hating on him on this forum for months), when this was obviously the result of things that happened some time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 07:29 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Duh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um..... I think that's Marlows' point (that doesn't exactly take a genius to figure that out).
Neither the ups nor downs are that much affected by Obama at this point. There is some effect to be sure, but the vast majority of the things affecting the market the last 6 weeks are things that were in the works already and are only now becoming apparent.

Ken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So the tanking of the Dow in recent weeks isn't Obama's fault, right? Frankly, I agree with the above; I couldn't understand why so many people were so quick to blame Obama (well, I could, cuz they're the same people who have been hating on him on this forum for months), when this was obviously the result of things that happened some time ago.
Actually there is quite a difference between companies going down in stock due to "scared policies" and them going up.

Stocks drop when individuals and companies believe administrations future policies will have a negative affect upon a companies bottom line and operating procedures.. Stocks rise when investors and companies discover that those policies put into place have little affect or positive affect upon the bottom line..

So yes, its totally appropriate to blame Obama for the down fall, just like its appropriate to blame Congress and Bush for putting policies into place that are harmful to companies, or even saying that they plan to put policies into place. Who can deny that Obama has talked about taxing "the rich" i.e. causing people to sell out and pocket their profits..

Credit for an upswing needs to be earned and proven..

Any stock trader will tell you that one buys the fear, you sell the facts, because its fear that cause a market/stock to drop, and facts that bring the market back to reality.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:36 PM

707 posts, read 1,022,556 times
Quote:
Actually there is quite a difference between companies going down in stock due to "scared policies" and them going up.

Stocks drop when individuals and companies believe administrations future policies will have a negative affect upon a companies bottom line and operating procedures.. Stocks rise when investors and companies discover that those affects of the past had little affect or positive affect upon the bottom line..

So yes, its totally appropriate to blame Obama for the down fall, just like its appropriate to blame Congress, and Bush for putting policies into place that are harmful to companies, or even saying that they plan to put policies into place. Who can deny that Obama has talked about taxing "the rich" i.e. causing people to sell out and pocket their profits..

Credit for an upswing needs to be earned and proven..

Any stock trader will tell you that one buys the fear, you sell the facts, because its fear that cause a market/stock to drop, and facts that bring the market back to reality.

so the numerous reports that came out the end of January and early February of the layoffs had nothing to do with the market? Obama and his policies are completely responsible for the 1200 pt drop? I guess Bush is to blame for the Dow dropping from 11k to 8K from Jan 2008 - Nov 2008?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmama View Post
so the numerous reports that came out the end of January and early February of the layoffs had nothing to do with the market? Obama and his policies are completely responsible for the 1200 pt drop? I guess Bush is to blame for the Dow dropping from 11k to 8K from Jan 2008 - Nov 2008?
Your own statement confirms what I said.

Numerous reports that came out in January/February with layoffs, due to companies being scared of future policies and profitablitly had everything to do with the market dropping so low.

Usually when companies announce layoffs, stock values increase not decrease, because it means increased profits, the only reason they would decrease is out of fear.

Citibank for example is posting a profit, but their total market value, valued at $119.88B had a book value of $6B even after the govt gave them $36B..

Why would a company with $36B sitting on their books be worth only $6B? Fear, fear that they would not be profitable, fear that government policies and regulations would stop the companies ability to recover etc. When the stock dropped to less than $1, and when reality sets in that its not going out of business and banks are profitable, the stocks rise.. (and the market in general goes with it). And trust me, this company I've followed because I put a bundle in it last week when I seen that it bottomed out and stablized.

p.s. if you note my previous posting, I did also blame Bush and Congress. By not allowing the free market to self correct, they most likely have prolonged a further drop in the market and the economy.

Last edited by pghquest; 03-12-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Your own statement confirms what I said.

Numerous reports that came out in January/February with layoffs, due to companies being scared of future policies had everything to do with the market.

Usually when companies announce layoffs, stock values increase not decrease, because it means increased profits, the only reason they would decrease is out of fear.

Citibank for example is posting a profit, but their total market value, valued at $119.88B had a book value of $6B even after the govt gave them $36B..

Why would a company with $36B sitting on their books be worth only $6B? Fear, fear that they would not be profitable, fear that government policies and regulations would stop the companies ability to recover etc. When the stock dropped to less than $1, and when reality sets in that its not going out of business and banks are profitable, the stocks rise.. (and the market in general goes with it). And trust me, this company I've followed because I put a bundle in it last week when I seen that it bottomed out and stablized.
Its truely amazing some of these assumptions that are coming out. Many of the companies that announced their layoffs began talks 3rd quater of last year. With the state of these Banks and so called investment firms, many of these corporations were afraid of the Credit Freeze and the fact that they could no longer received credit extensions with just the matter of a hand shake and at the same time live high on the hog.
Many of the layoff announcements made in January and Feb clearly stated that the layoffs will be over a span of one to two years. If you check many of the job websites (i.e monster and career.com) there are a HUGE amount of temp agencies with job postings..where? the very same companies that announced their layoffs. I will agree with one thing, though, your consistent.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 PM

[quote=proudmama;7859076]Its truely amazing some of these assumptions that are coming out. Many of the companies that announced their layoffs began talks 3rd quater of last year. With the state of these Banks and so called investment firms, many of these corporations were

Old 03-13-2009, 01:05 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,872 times
DOW looks like it will end up today as well. Hopefully it does so that the news can dominate the weekend cycle and give a shot of confidence to investors. At this rate, all of the losses between Nov 4th and now will have been regained.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
DOW looks like it will end up today as well. Hopefully it does so that the news can dominate the weekend cycle and give a shot of confidence to investors. At this rate, all of the losses between Nov 4th and now will have been regained.

Uhm correction, the loss from January 2008 until now. Again as a reminder people, 2008 the DOW opened at 11K pts. November 2007 the DOW closed at 13K pts. You all want to keep glossing over that well documented FACT WHY?

Old 03-13-2009, 04:58 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Good news.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:46 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Turnabout is fair play, right?
Wrong. If he drives it down to it's lowest level in decades, and then there is a slight "uptick", why should we credit him? Bad logic. It doesn't wash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections