Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON – For the first time in years, more Americans than not say the country is headed in the right direction, a sign that Barack Obama has used the first 100 days of his presidency to lift the public's mood and inspire hopes for a brighter future.
Intensely worried about their personal finances and medical expenses, Americans nonetheless appear realistic about the time Obama might need to turn things around, according to an Associated Press-GfK poll. It shows most Americans consider their new president to be a strong, ethical and empathetic leader who is working to change Washington.
AP Poll: Americans high on Obama, direction of US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,844,425 times
correction. "some" americans high on obama. others hate him. sounds a lot like the bush administration.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,749,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
correction. "some" americans high on obama. others hate him. sounds a lot like the bush administration.
Ummm, more people hated bush than those who liked him. No comparison there.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
GWB in 2001 had a 92% approval rating. sorry, not impressed with over 30% of americans hating barry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Ummm, more people hated bush than those who liked him. No comparison there.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:22 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
GWB in 2001 had a 92% approval rating. sorry, not impressed with over 30% of americans hating barry.
The only time his approval rating was that high was directly after 9/11, which is an extraordinary time that you cannot use as a baseline to compare others.

(and if you had actually read the article, you'd see the disapproval number is actually 26%)

Old 04-23-2009, 09:26 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
LOL -- Yeah, on 9/12/01 Bush had a 92% approval rating. (I'm proud to say I was in the 8 percenter club even on that day.) Look, Bush is the most disastrous president to hit this nation in about a hundred years. I think the Right has lost a lot of credibility for a lot of different reasons, but the most blaring one is their refusal to see this. To their credit, many, many conservatives have seen what a dismal failure this man was (and still is).

But those who didn't/don't ... wow. Just wow. If that's your idea of what a president should look like, hmmm... I just don't know ... I just don't know if I can let my kids play with your kids. It's that bad. This is soooo beyond partisan politics. I fully acknowledge that some terrifically bad presidents have come from the Left as well ... but Bush .. fortunately, he is in a league of his own when it comes to catostrophic in recent history. As for Obama? Who knows? Looks like he's going to be one of the greats, a game changer .. but it's too early to tell. I much of the high approval ratings he's getting is that people are still just so friggin' happy that Bush is not in the White House. Every day STILL feels like Christmas to me ... 100 days and counting.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 AM

I am fully aware of why bush had high numbers. you should also be aware that barry's numbers are still artifically high because people are still on their "history" honeymoon. but his numbers are declining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The only time his approval rating was that high was directly after 9/11, which is an extraordinary time that you cannot use as a baseline to compare others.

(and if you had actually read the article, you'd see the disapproval number is actually 26%)

Old 04-23-2009, 09:31 AM

that is the funniest thing I have ever read. thank you so much for that comic relief this morning. wow, just wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
LOL -- Yeah, on 9/12/01 Bush had a 92% approval rating. (I'm proud to say I was in the 8 percenter club even on that day.) Look, Bush is the most disastrous president to hit this nation in about a hundred years. I think the Right has lost a lot of credibility for a lot of different reasons, but the most blaring one is their refusal to see this. To their credit, many, many conservatives have seen what a dismal failure this man was (and still is).

But those who didn't/don't ... wow. Just wow. If that's your idea of what a president should look like, hmmm... I just don't know ... I just don't know if I can let my kids play with your kids. It's that bad. This is soooo beyond partisan politics. I fully acknowledge that some terrifically bad presidents have come from the Left as well ... but Bush .. fortunately, he is in a league of his own when it comes to catostrophic in recent history. As for Obama? Who knows? Looks like he's going to be one of the greats, a game changer .. but it's too early to tell. I much of the high approval ratings he's getting is that people are still just so friggin' happy that Bush is not in the White House. Every day STILL feels like Christmas to me ... 100 days and counting.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 AM

10 posts, read 9,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
LOL, after the wasted efforts in disparaging Obama with the name-calling and the silly tea-parties, Obama's approval rating must drive the right-wing nuts.

Maybe the hard-core Obama bashers will finally realize that they are a fringe minority in American (actually, World) society.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiberalElite. View Post
LOL, after the wasted efforts in disparaging Obama with the name-calling and the silly tea-parties, Obama's approval rating must drive the right-wing nuts.

Maybe the hard-core Obama bashers will finally realize that they are a fringe minority in American (actually, World) society.
L.E. -- it's fine. The Right is just so out of touch right now. It's awesome. They are heading into territory not seen since the CPU USA. The more airtime they get and the more their frothing mouths and glassy eyes are shown, the more lunatic they are shown to be. I am heartened by the numerous friends, relatives and acquaintances who voted for Bush who are turning off Fox, changing the dial from AM to FM and shaking their head in disbelief at what they see the Republicans doing. Party on, rightwingers! You do more to grow our side than we ever could. You're our best argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections