Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:16 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times

Advertisements

What will I remember most about Bush?

Obama!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
False.

Market had as much dictation on the country as the president did until 1932. And guess what happened a few years before? Free market, reckless spending on the consumers' behalf and lack of regulation of banks and boom the Great Depression. Years of Lassiez-Faire policy on behalf of Bush have led to the current housing meltdown and if not for intervention, stimulus packages and bailouts, unemployment would be even higher.
Bush was NOT a free marketer or non-interventionist. He started the stimuli and bailouts, running up $ 3 Trillion in public debt over 8 years.

Obama/Bernanke is simply Bush/Greenspan on steroids. The bailouts and stimuli ARE the problem b/c they're going to wipe out the value of the US currency.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,076,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Bush was NOT a free marketer or non-interventionist. He started the stimuli and bailouts, running up $ 3 Trillion in public debt over 8 years.

Obama/Bernanke is simply Bush/Greenspan on steroids. The bailouts and stimuli ARE the problem b/c they're going to wipe out the value of the US currency.
You can see into the future? What are the winning numbers for New Jersey Powerball tomorrow?

Bailouts shouldn't destroy value of currency, especially if banks and other fiscal businesses are intervened on. Value will probably decrease but it's better than value staying the same but no one having it.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
You can see into the future? What are the winning numbers for New Jersey Powerball tomorrow?

Bailouts shouldn't destroy value of currency, especially if banks and other fiscal businesses are intervened on. Value will probably decrease but it's better than value staying the same but no one having it.
I'm not able to predict the future, but it makes sense that spending money you don't have (via printing) increases the money supply, which dilutes the value of the other currency notes outstanding. Our money supply has risen, while the Economy (and thus our demand for goods and services) has declined. More dollars out there, chasing fewer goods and services will lead to inflation. We're already having trouble auctioning off our debt.

Keep in mind a free market or laissez faire model allows failing companies (i.e. Bear Stearns, GM, Chrysler, Auto suppliers, AIG, Fannie and Freddie etc) to go bankrupt. That's the nature of the system. Free market systems would not support artificial stimuli to the Economy (i.e. Bush stimulus, foreclosure relief plan, Obama stimulus).

If you really want to understand this, read Meltdown by Thomas Woods or Crash Proof by Peter Schiff. Listen to the people who got it right! Watch some Ron Paul clips.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,100 times
What I will remember most is being absolutely stunned that he won the Presidency not once but twice. What the hell does that say for the intelligence of the American voter? I guess I can understand being fooled once, but the second time ... conservatives knew he was no conservative, liberals knew he was no liberal, smart people knew he was a moron, and we ALL knew that the worst attack on this country since World War II took place on his watch. And people STILL voted for him. Good Lord.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:03 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
I will remember George W. Bush as being the spokesperson for the dumbing down of America

Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
I will remember him as a great college cheerleader. I look at that picture of him with that Yale megaphone and tears fill my eyes. ~sigh~

Old 06-25-2009, 07:19 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
I will remember that he gave us Obama, something I believe is the biggest mistake in American history.

We will pay for Obama for many, many years to come.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
I will remember him as a great college cheerleader. I look at that picture of him with that Yale megaphone and tears fill my eyes. ~sigh~

I know, and he was also a leader in the annals of frat boy Presidents. Another part of his legacy.

If only life could be 4 years of college .....

Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM

24 posts, read 41,343 times
nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections