Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:50 AM

68 posts, read 194,982 times

Advertisements

Anyone thinking he will enter the race?? I think if he does, Giuliani's current lead in the polls will disappear or be greatly reduced.

I'm starting to hope he does run b/c I'm not crazy about any other Republican candidate. I lived in NYC during the Giuliani years and think he was an excellent mayor. He really cleaned up a lot of crime and reduced taxes. But, I don't think he'll be a good president. He has a reputation for being a tyrant/micromanager and I don't think that will be effective on the national level. He's also too wishy washy on abortion. Although he indicated he would nominate judges like Roberts and Alito, he recently said he would support taxpayer funding of abortions. So, he lost my vote...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:53 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
Anyone thinking he will enter the race?? I think if he does, Giuliani's current lead in the polls will disappear or be greatly reduced.

I'm starting to hope he does run b/c I'm not crazy about any other Republican candidate. I lived in NYC during the Giuliani years and think he was an excellent mayor. He really cleaned up a lot of crime and reduced taxes. But, I don't think he'll be a good president. He has a reputation for being a tyrant/micromanager and I don't think that will be effective on the national level. He's also too wishy washy on abortion. Although he indicated he would nominate judges like Roberts and Alito, he recently said he would support taxpayer funding of abortions. So, he lost my vote...
I rather go with Mitt Romney or Tancredo than Rudy or Thompson.

Honestly, I much rather Thompson than Rudy. I despise Rudy's false "Republican" credential. The guy is a liberal like McCain. He is just famous due to his leadership during 9/11. Unlike New Orlean's mayor Ray Naggin who was a total coward and disaster during Katrina, Rudyg was strong and decisive duriong 9/11.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:03 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
I'm not too familiar with Fred Thompson other than being a "Law & Order" fan but didn't he leave Congress due to beig disillusioned with the process?

Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Default Republican Candidates

What about Chuck Nagel? His stance on the war separates him from the rest of the leading contenders.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:33 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
I'm not terribly impressed with any of the candidates on either the Republican or Democratic tickets. But if someone put a gun to my head and told me to choose between Thompson and Giulianni, I'd pick Thompson. I just don't get what people see in Giulianni.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Fred Thompson's voting record in the Senate is here:

http://www.ontheissues.org/senate/Fred_Thompson.htm

I am torn between Thompson and Guiliani although some people may wonder why.

NYC is bigger than many states. I see Rudy as a proven leader. I like his methodical logical approach to resolving issues. I especially like his record as District Attorney. I'd like to hear him talk about more issues that impact flyover country. For example, would the policing methods employed in NYC work in suburban southeast or midwest areas hit with crime and could he have an impact on crime as president?

Thompson is like a regular guy I could trust as a person to do what's in my best interest. In my opinion, except for McCain/Feingold, his voting record in the Senate is A-1. He doesn't have to move to the right. His voting record speaks for itself. He already is what he is and he can't hide it. I like that. By the way, he's interviewed on Hannity and Colmes tonight (Tuesday, 5/1).

I think both would do well on fiscal issues.

The question then becomes, which guy has a better shot of defeating whatever Democrat wins that party's nomination, in the general election? I don't think it's Romney (bigger flip flopper than Kerry) and I don't think it's McCain (current US Senate Jackal along with the other pack of current US Senate Jackals in both parties).

Old 05-01-2007, 11:28 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
NYC is bigger than many states. I see Rudy as a proven leader.
When it comes to Giulianni, I think Chris Rock nailed it:

"Giulianni is like a pit bull. You got a bad guy in your house? You want that pit bull. He'll tear the bad guy apart. But if there ain't no bad guy in your house, that pit bull may eat your kids. That's Giulianni."

Well said, Chris Rock.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:34 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
I think Fred Thompson is going to be interviewed tonight on Hannity & Colmes. Perhaps we will hear something today.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,534 times
None can be trusted, none..voting is a sham.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:56 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,072 times
If I had those two choices, I would not vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections