Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 10:32 PM

97 posts, read 371,796 times

Advertisements

You know, I find it DISGUSTING how Obama and the Democratic governor of Kansas would use the tornado tragedy in Kansas to pull a political stunt.

Obama goes even farther than the Kansas governor - he tries to hype up the 10 deaths in Kanses (a complete Act of God) and make it sound like it is a catastrophe and it is all because of Iraq.

Regardless of what you may think of the war... what do you think about Obama trying to score votes on the backs of the 12 dead people and the suffering of many others in Kansas?

I post, you decide:

Obama: '10,000 People Died' in Kansas Tornado

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. —
Barack Obama, caught up in the fervor of a campaign speech Tuesday, drastically overstated the Kansas tornadoes death toll, saying 10,000 had died.

The death toll was 12.

"In case you missed it, this week, there was a tragedy in Kansas. Ten thousand people died — an entire town destroyed," the Democratic presidential candidate said in a speech to 500 people packed into a sweltering Richmond art studio for a fundraiser.

Obama mentioned the disaster in Greensburg, Kan., in saying he had been told by the office of Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius that the state's National Guard had been depleted by its commitment to the Iraq War.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_frien...270852,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 PM

753 posts, read 758,896 times
Politicizing a disaster? This surprises you?

Stay tuned, there's more to come.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:54 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
After it was proven beyond a shadow of doubt that the Katrina tragedy was both a Rovian plot and was compounded only by Republican mismanagement, are you surprised?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:33 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
OH and we all know that Bush would NEVER take an opportunity like this to push his own agenda AND of course we also know he has never made a mistake while giving a speech...unless of course you count the time he gave the wrong speech at the wrong function...

Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
OH and we all know that Bush would NEVER take an opportunity like this to push his own agenda....
I don't know that Bush won't. He's a politician, so he could.

Anyway, has he done that with the KS disaster? If so shame on him. If not, then shame on any that do and leave Bush's other gaffes and errors out of this one.

Does Bush's shortcomings excuse the shortcomings of others (even Obama)? Not in book they don't.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:20 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,599 times
Were you around for September 11?? I was, I heard him con the country into thinking that the terrorist attacks had something to do with Iraq and Saddam...alot of people still do, read over his speeches...you will see how he wove the two together, purposely mislead the American people...

Bush is all to ready to speechify when he wants something...Bush should have been more on his toes for disasters within our United States but he seems MORE concerned about Iraq...He even has allowed American servicemen injured on this fools errand, to go without the treatment they need...its not glamorous to show the wounded and returning caskets from Iraq...so they don't.

I applaud Obama for pointing out that Bush doesn't show the same concern for the people in Kansas. The poor, disenfranchised of New Orleans as well...were not important enough to draw his attention either...

I watched the news of New Orleans and cried...cried at the thought of the human suffering...Bush is disconnected from the suffering of the American people...

I bring up mistakes Bush has made in his speeches because someone had pointed out that Obama mis spoke when he said how many people had died in the town that was destroyed in Kansas...

I can see mistakes no matter the party...

Old 05-10-2007, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post

I applaud Obama for pointing out that Bush doesn't show the same concern for the people in Kansas. The poor, disenfranchised of New Orleans as well...were not important enough to draw his attention either...

I can see mistakes no matter the party...
I didn't see the politicians that had real skin in the Katrina game (Sen. Landrieu, Gov. Blanco and NO Mayor Nagin) doing a good job of taking care of their constituents.

Yet most of the media focused on failures at the Federal level and seemed to either downplay or ignore the failings of the three I mentioned above. I don't happen to be a big fan of a strong, pervasive Federal government.

What's the point of having state and local govts if they don't do anything but suck up tax dollars.

IMO a guy like Kucinich could have been President and nothing would have been any different due to the abysmal response locally/statewide.

I'm not telling you to change your opinion about Bush. That die's been cast and we're too polarized as a nation to change our mindsets.

I'm just wary of partisanship that gets to the point of blind loyalty or blind disdain. It's rabid on both sides, unfortunately.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:10 AM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,520 times
Well... he's a politician. I honestly wouldn't put it below any of the frontrunners for the presidency to use a disaster for political gain. Rudy Giuliani's certainly done his share "We'll have another 9/11 if a Democrat is elected..."

Is using situations like this to make political points excusable? It probably would have been worse if he had actually flown over to Kansas for a photo-op and made the speech, but it's probably in bad taste, even if the strained National Guard may have had something to do with it, I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections