Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:42 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,795,824 times

Advertisements

Poll Shouts The Message Massachusetts Voters Were Sending | OurFuture.org

Quote:
  • If the Democratic Congress passed a bill that laid down stronger rules of the road for Wall Street and cut bonuses for the executives of companies that received government bailouts, would that make you more likely or less likely to vote Democratic in the 2010 general election?More likely 53%
    Less likely 14%
    No effect 33%
  • What would do more to improve our nation’s economic conditions: Decreasing government spending OR tightening government regulation of Wall Street and corporate executives?Cut spending 43%
    Tighten regulation 25%
  • Democrats in Washington are more on my side than on the side of the lobbyists and special interests, OR Democrats in Washington are more on the side of the lobbyists and special interests than on the side of people like me.The lobbyists 47%
    People like me 23%
    Not sure 30%
  • (Asked of people who opposed the Senate health care reform bill Do you think it goes too far or doesn’t go far enough?Too far 23%
    Not far enough 36%
  • Would you favor or oppose the national government offering everyone the choice of a government administered health insurance plan — something like the Medicare coverage that people 65 and older get — that would compete with private health insurance plans?Favor 82%
    Oppose 14%
    Not Sure 4%
It's also noteworthy that in each of those questions, people who self-identified as independents were nearly identical in their views to self-identified Democrats.

(Emphasis mine)

Please know many on THE LEFT wanted a public option and the Senate health care bill does NOT include a public option. That is for all of you who think "THE LEFT" caused Massachusetts to vote for Brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:44 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,057,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post

(Emphasis mine)

Please know many on THE LEFT wanted a public option and the Senate health care bill does NOT include a public option. That is for all of you who think "THE LEFT" caused Massachusetts to vote for Brown.
I think people are more worried about the outrageous Government spending then they are about getting health insurance reform passed right now.

and Rightfully so.

Health Care reform would have a much better chance of getting passed if the fiscal crisis our Government is facing did not exist.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:50 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,690,469 times
A very important part of the anaysis is to see why the independents shifted dramatically against Obama. This was the same segment that had shifted towards Dems a year ago. If you see how independents behaved, a lot of the rest of the aggregated voter (D+R) 'messaging" becomes less important since most will vote along party lines anyway.

With frustrations against Reps and Dems growing, both sides need to worry about the independent segment in the next election. In this case, I think independents did not like Ds having the supermajority and thought healthcare was being rammed down their throat at a time when the focus should have been on jobs.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,795,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
I think people are more worried about the outrageous Government spending then they are about getting health insurance reform passed right now.

and Rightfully so.

Health Care reform would have a much better chance of getting passed if the fiscal crisis our Government is facing did not exist.
Some of that outrageous government spending was wasted on bailouts for Wall Street bankers.

I'm not saying I agree with all this spending and I'd much rather we focus on regulating insurance companies and trying to help make health insurance affordable for families since it seems Democrats are too spineless to pass single-payer.

Congress should have focused on jobs THEN health insurance reform. It doesn't do any good to have health insurance reform if you can't even AFFORD health insurance.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Some of that outrageous government spending was wasted on bailouts for Wall Street bankers.
I completely agree.

Quote:
I'm not saying I agree with all this spending and I'd much rather we focus on regulating insurance companies and trying to help make health insurance affordable for families since it seems Democrats are too spineless to pass single-payer.
I think Voters want to see responsible spending first. They have not seen this from the incumbants.

Quote:
Congress should have focused on jobs THEN health insurance reform. It doesn't do any good to have health insurance reform if you can't even AFFORD health insurance.
I agree. I think that is what the voters are saying right now.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,025,874 times
Quote:

(Emphasis mine)

Research 2000 poll of Brown voters in Massachusetts shows 82% of Obama voters who went for Brown in Massachusetts support the public option by a 3:2 margin. Obama voters who stayed home think the bill doesn't go far enough by a 6:1 margin.

HEALTH CARE BILL OPPONENTS THINK IT "DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH"
* by 3 to 2 among Obama voters who voted for Brown
* by 6 to 1 among Obama voters who stayed home

VOTERS OVERWHELMINGLY SUPPORT THE PUBLIC OPTION
* 82% of Obama voters who voted for Brown
* 86% of Obama voters who stayed home

Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Research 2000 poll of Brown voters in Massachusetts shows 82% of Obama voters who went for Brown in Massachusetts support the public option by a 3:2 margin. Obama voters who stayed home think the bill doesn't go far enough by a 6:1 margin.

HEALTH CARE BILL OPPONENTS THINK IT "DOESN'T GO FAR ENOUGH"
* by 3 to 2 among Obama voters who voted for Brown
* by 6 to 1 among Obama voters who stayed home

VOTERS OVERWHELMINGLY SUPPORT THE PUBLIC OPTION
* 82% of Obama voters who voted for Brown
* 86% of Obama voters who stayed home
Ok you can stop posting this now.

Massachusetts the most liberal state in the union voted a Republican into Ted kennedy's seat.

Deal with it.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:08 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,321,711 times
Brown was a much more likable candidate than Martha was. If there is a message to be sent to other parties, it's to run people that the public can identify with.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:11 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,095,461 times
The left just like hussein obama will be looking for any and every excuse except personal responsibility. Massachusetts just flipped hussein obama the bird

Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,320,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Brown was a much more likable candidate than Martha was. If there is a message to be sent to other parties, it's to run people that the public can identify with.
You just called the people of MA stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections