Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:32 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Frank Roche, the carpetbagger, gets to take a nice leisurely trip up I-95 back to the cesspool that is NYC. Meanwhile, Lawson is prepared to fight Price one more time in a midterm election. The coolness of Obama won't be a factor this time around. Woohoo!

Congrats, B.J. Lawson! | United Liberty | Free Market - Individual Liberty - Limited Government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 09:55 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Frank Roche, the carpetbagger, gets to take a nice leisurely trip up I-95 back to the cesspool that is NYC. Meanwhile, Lawson is prepared to fight Price one more time in a midterm election. The coolness of Obama won't be a factor this time around. Woohoo!

Congrats, B.J. Lawson! | United Liberty | Free Market - Individual Liberty - Limited Government
So it does indeed looks like the Republican sacrificial lamb of the 4th district has been chosen.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
So it does indeed looks like the Republican sacrificial lamb of the 4th district has been chosen.
You and I have already discussed this at length. Very boring because all that you mention is that Price is unbeatable and never really discuss any issues. Look, hundreds of registered Democrats in the 4th actually changed to non-affiliated just to vote for Lawson this time around and many more told Lawson they wished they changed so they could vote for him instead of Roche. Price is a pro-patriot act, pro-Iraq war, establishment neo-con Democrat.

See you at the polls on November.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
You and I have already discussed this at length. Very boring because all that you mention is that Price is unbeatable and never really discuss any issues. Look, hundreds of registered Democrats in the 4th actually changed to non-affiliated just to vote for Lawson this time around and many more told Lawson they wished they changed so they could vote for him instead of Roche. Price is a pro-patriot act, pro-Iraq war, establishment neo-con Democrat.

See you at the polls on November.
First Price has been against the Iraq war from the beginning so that is just wrong.

As to Lawson, he is anti-Roe v. Wade, pro-NC off shore drilling, and has "health savings accounts" as his joke of a health care plan...minus a few issues he is still your typical rightwinger and will vote as such if he gets to congress.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
First Price has been against the Iraq war from the beginning so that is just wrong.
He votes to fund the war. Good enough in my book.

Quote:
As to Lawson, he is anti-Roe v. Wade
Small potatoes to the liberal hippies who've come to our side. Their explanation is that Lawson's personal stance is inconsequential since the ruling will likely never be overturned.

Quote:
pro-NC off shore drilling
Not a problem as oil goes northward of $100/barrel. No Bush to blame this time for the price increase.

Quote:
and has "health savings accounts" as his joke of a health care plan...
The majority of Americans are against the health care reform package as passed. Price voted for it. 'Nuff said.

Quote:
minus a few issues he is still your typical rightwinger and will vote as such if he gets to congress.
Yeah, I'm sure the traitor act is "just an issue". I'm sure funding war is "just an issue". I'm sure the Federal Reserve is "just an issue". Apparently, it's more than enough to get defectors joining Lawson. I know of zero defectors from the Republican side going to Price. Lawson also supports raw milk sales in NC as well as legalization of marijuana, another couple of issues that brought over the Chapel Hill and Carrboro hippies.

Thanks for your comments. They were informative. I'm sure Price has nothing to worry about. Then again, it's a midterm election, ergo the straight ticket zombies will be staying at home on November, especially since there'll be a much weakened ACORN presence helping them get to the polls.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Small potatoes to the liberal hippies who've come to our side. Their explanation is that Lawson's personal stance is inconsequential since the ruling will likely never be overturned.
Must be all male or not very informed liberal hippies. I have yet to meet a female liberal hippie that will ever in 1,000,000 years compromise on choice.

Quote:
Not a problem as oil goes northward of $100/barrel. No Bush to blame this time for the price increase.
Oil is $83 dollars a barrel and falling...hardly northward of $100. On top of that any anyone foolish enough to view NC oil drilling, which at most will drop oil to $82.50, as a corner stone of their initial energy policy will not get my vote. On top of that a spill like the one in Louisiana would kill the coastal economy and considering that all major oil production coasts (Alaska and the gulf) have had accidents in the past 25 years I do not want that going on in North Carolina.

Quote:
The majority of Americans are against the health care reform package as passed. Price voted for it. 'Nuff said.
So explain to me again how someone struggling to pay their bills can create a health care savings account? The problem is not with those who have the resources to get health care but rather with people who are just getting by.

Quote:

Yeah, I'm sure the traitor act is "just an issue". I'm sure funding war is "just an issue". I'm sure the Federal Reserve is "just an issue". Apparently, it's more than enough to get defectors joining Lawson. I know of zero defectors from the Republican side going to Price. Lawson also supports raw milk sales in NC as well as legalization of marijuana, another couple of issues that brought over the Chapel Hill and Carrboro hippies.

Thanks for your comments. They were informative. I'm sure Price has nothing to worry about. Then again, it's a midterm election, ergo the straight ticket zombies will be staying at home on November, especially since there'll be a much weakened ACORN presence helping them get to the polls.
I be the first to say I am against the Iraq war, the "PATRIOT act," and support legalization, but you can be sure as **** I am not going to compromise on choice and the environment which are far more important to me then a politician's promises on things his own party's leadership, which he will vote for, will never in a million years bring up. The fact of the matter is Chapel Hillians are not dumb people. I assure you most of us would never take token things such as lip service on Marijuana legalization in exchange for major compromises on choice and the environment.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-05-2010 at 11:38 AM..

Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Must be all male or not very informed liberal hippies. I have yet to meet a female liberal hippie that will ever in 1,000,000 years compromise on choice.
Ms. Walker from the campaign is one such person. Pro-choice, organic farming shopper, doesn't eat meat, reformed California progressive, loves Chapel Hill and Carrboro. One of the biggest Lawson supporters. Many others like her. You're just looking in the wrong places.

Quote:
Oil is $83 dollars a barrel and falling...hardly northward of $100. On top of that any anyone foolish enough to view NC oil drilling, which at most will drop oil to $82.50, as a corner stone of their initial energy policy will not get my vote. On top of that a spill like the one in Louisiana would kill the coastal economy and considering that all major oil production coasts (Alaska and the gulf) have had accidents in the past 25 years I do not want that going on in North Carolina.
You're entitled to your opinion. This could be more of a toss up depending on the price of oil in a few months.

Quote:
So explain to me again how someone struggling to pay their bills can create a health care savings account?
It takes less of an explanation compared to folks like Price backing a plan that forces the poor to buy insurance they cannot afford. Since Lawson has an MD (unlike Price) and runs a business specifically relating to the medical profession, I'll take his advice over "randomstudent" from the internets thank you very much.

Quote:
I be the first to say I am against the Iraq war, the "PATRIOT act," and support legalization, but you can be sure as **** I am not going to compromise on choice and the environment which are far more important to me then a politician's promises on things his own party's leadership, which he will vote for, will never in a million years bring up. The fact of the matter is Chapel Hillians are not dumb people. I assure you most of us would never take token things such as lip service on Marijuana legalization in exchange for major compromises on choice and the environment.
Have it your way. Like I said, Democrats who are either joining Lawson's campaign or otherwise supporting him have a different priority structure. You're right...they're not dumb people. They know that Lawson has no way of influencing the overturning of RvW so it's mostly irrelevant to them what his personal stance is. It might bother you and the small circle you hang around, but that's not really rational thinking IMO and the pro-peace people see Lawson as more of an asset than pro-war Price. Considering the sheer amount of straight party ticket zombies in a presidential year, Price didn't do all that great. I Lawson got more votes than any other contender in about 30 years against Price.

Lawson's people are not dumb either. We have a few Ph.D.s helping out . We even had a token black guy (he wasn't even dressed like an Uncle Tom) at the celebration last night.

Oh yeah, Price also advocates for the federal application of the death penalty and voted to make it more difficult to declare bankruptcy. Doesn't sound like a liberal's best friend to me.

Last edited by summers73; 05-05-2010 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-05-2010, 12:48 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
The idea that this race will be competitive is hilarious. The only way Lawson has a chance is if voting is suddenly outlawed in Durham and Orange Counties, and that isn't happening...

Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 PM

YouTube - Primary Victory Speech

Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ms. Walker from the campaign is one such person. Pro-choice, organic farming shopper, doesn't eat meat, reformed California progressive, loves Chapel Hill and Carrboro. One of the biggest Lawson supporters. Many others like her. You're just looking in the wrong places.
Congratulations, it appears you have found a few pro-choice progressive who is willing to compromise on choice. I assure you that is far from the norm

Quote:
M
You're entitled to your opinion. This could be more of a toss up depending on the price of oil in a few months.
Oil prices are currently falling based on fears of an economic slowdown in the PRoC that is a fact not an opinion.

Quote:
It takes less of an explanation compared to folks like Price backing a plan that forces the poor to buy insurance they cannot afford. Since Lawson has an MD (unlike Price) and runs a business specifically relating to the medical profession, I'll take his advice over "randomstudent" from the internets thank you very much.
I am not giving advice I am simply asking for an explanation which neither you nor Mr. Lawson has given as to how does a person with no to little disposable income who may have just lost or had their jobs scaled back suddenly start a health savings account? That is all I am asking. I am not giving any advice. Besides just because your an MD does not mean you know the ins and outs of the medical insurance industry.

Quote:
Have it your way. Like I said, Democrats who are either joining Lawson's campaign or otherwise supporting him have a different priority structure. You're right...they're not dumb people. They know that Lawson has no way of influencing the overturning of RvW so it's mostly irrelevant to them what his personal stance is. It might bother you and the small circle you hang around, but that's not really rational thinking IMO and the pro-peace people see Lawson as more of an asset than pro-war Price. Considering the sheer amount of straight party ticket zombies in a presidential year, Price didn't do all that great. I Lawson got more votes than any other contender in about 30 years against Price.

Lawson's people are not dumb either. We have a few Ph.D.s helping out . We even had a token black guy (he wasn't even dressed like an Uncle Tom) at the celebration last night.

Oh yeah, Price also advocates for the federal application of the death penalty and voted to make it more difficult to declare bankruptcy. Doesn't sound like a liberal's best friend to me.
Wow you have a token academic and black person do tell do you have some token students as well willing to back an anti-choice anti-environmental candidate that in the words of the Chapel Hill news paper the Indypendent "wants to bring the US back to the 19th century." The fact of the matter is Smash is mostly correct the only way this guy wins is if voting is banned in Orange, Durham and Chatham counties. As to the pro peace people I know here in Chapel Hill and I know quite a few of them since I grew up here in Chapel Hill are all behind Price. They want to push him toward more anti war position, but they are not single minded either. They care about things like environment stewardship, and social welfare programs which, quite frankly, aren't that high on Lawson's agenda.

And CQ agrees with me. This seat is safe dem.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-05-2010 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections