Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Dem Turnout Falls Off A Cliff - Hotline On Call (http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/05/dem_turnout_fal.php - broken link)

Quote:
Turnout among Dem voters dropped precipitously in 3 statewide primaries on Tuesday, giving the party more evidence that their voters lack enthusiasm ahead of midterm elections.

In primaries in NC, IN and OH, Dems turned out at far lower rates than they have in previous comparable elections.

By contrast, GOP turnout was up almost across the board.
This is good news indeed.

It comes as no surprise that there is a huge gap between parties in the "enthusiasm" factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 10:52 AM

470 posts, read 462,021 times
The Dems are cooked. Stick a fork in them.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Dem Turnout Falls Off A Cliff - Hotline On Call (http://hotlineoncall.nationaljournal.com/archives/2010/05/dem_turnout_fal.php - broken link)

It comes as no surprise that there is a huge gap between parties in the "enthusiasm" factor.
They are just resting up for November.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:27 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
I think you may be confusing an apathy about which Democrat gets on the ballot, with their interest in voting. The Democratic Party, in every state, will put a maximum effort into getting out the voters. They will not make the same mistake they did in Mass. Also, you may want to watch which GOP candidates win their primary. The more RW the GOP candidate, the better. Also, as the poll queen, you may have an interest in this poll.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/127700/Re...m-Shrinks.aspx

Old 05-05-2010, 11:42 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:

You do realize that there was almost nothing to vote on in the NC democratic primary. When I went to vote pretty much all the ballot had was senate, some judges and county commissioners. Additionally, in the local area were I live there was a huge fight for local primaries races in 2004 that just wasn't there this year, that kind of thing does kick up the turnout by a few thousand. I would not read to much into the NC stuff

Contrast that with Republicans this year where there were a large number of hotly contested House primaries.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
You do realize that there was almost nothing to vote on in the NC democratic primary. When I went to vote pretty much all the ballot had was senate, some judges and county commissioners. Additionally, in the local area were I live there was a huge fight for local primaries races in 2004 that just wasn't there this year, that kind of thing does kick up the turnout by a few thousand. I would not read to much into the NC stuff

Contrast that with Republicans this year where there were a large number of hotly contested House primaries.
Really now? A hotly contested dem senate primary race vs a GOP senate primary that was not contested? 53% dem to 47% rep turnout.

Public Policy Polling: The NC turnout numbers

Quote:
The turnout patterns in yesterday's North Carolina primary election should have Democrats even more worried about what's going to happen this fall than they were before.

In an election where there was a highly contested Democratic Senate primary and a Republican contest that was a foregone conclusion you would have expected Democratic turnout to far exceed that on the GOP side.

The 426,000 who cast a ballot in the Senate primary represents a 32% decline from the 628,000 who did in 2002, and this is despite the fact that after the 2008 election cycle there are more registered Democrats in the state than ever.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Really now? A hotly contested dem senate primary race vs a GOP senate primary that was not contested? 53% dem to 47% rep turnout.

Public Policy Polling: The NC turnout numbers
lol I wouldn't exactly call it "hotly contested." Everyone here knew Marshall would win, which she did by 10% above her nearest challenger in an 8 way race none the less.

The only reason it is going to a run off is because it was an 8 way race and its difficult to get over 40% when your splitting the vote with 4 other somewhat serious candidates.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
lol I wouldn't exactly call it "hotly contested." Everyone here knew Marshall would win, which she did by 10% above her nearest challenger in an 8 way race none the less.

The only reason it is going to a run off is because it was an 8 way race and its difficult to get over 40% when your splitting the vote with 4 other somewhat serious candidates.
I do hope you won't be insulted if I take PPP analysis, a professional democratic pollster, instead of yours?

Quote:
What the turnout numbers do show is a disturbing lack of interest from Democratic voters. The 426,000 who cast a ballot in the Senate primary represents a 32% decline from the 628,000 who did in 2002, and this is despite the fact that after the 2008 election cycle there are more registered Democrats in the state than ever.

It's a long way until the fall and maybe Democratic voters just care more about beating Republicans than choosing their party's nominees but this is the first hard data we have on the comparative engagement of the two party's voters in North Carolina and it does not bode well for Democrats.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:11 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
I do hope you won't be insulted if I take PPP analysis, a professional democratic pollster, instead of yours?
Couple things to keep in mind. In 2002 it was a Primary for an open seat, the one being vacated by Helms, so that likely drew a bit more interest. Also heading into 2002 the Democrats held 5 house seats (1 of which was not running for reelection), heading into this year they have 8 seats, all of whom are running for reelection. So you had many more competitive House Primaries in 2002 than this year.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I think you may be confusing an apathy about which Democrat gets on the ballot, with their interest in voting. The Democratic Party, in every state, will put a maximum effort into getting out the voters. They will not make the same mistake they did in Mass. Also, you may want to watch which GOP candidates win their primary. The more RW the GOP candidate, the better. Also, as the poll queen, you may have an interest in this poll.

Republican Advantage in 2010 Voting Enthusiasm Shrinks
You mean when obama came to Mass to rally the troops for Coakley? He virtually begged democrats to get out and vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections