Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,984,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Ummm....wrong. Officially, Obama had to be seen as endorsing Specter. But let's get real. I wouldn't be surprised if Obama is secretly celebrating Sestak's win. Sestak is the stronger general election candidate.
Be seen as?

Oh my, this is hilarious.

Obama campaigned for Specter, told the world he lurved Specter, spent money on ads for him, appeared in numerous radio and TV ads, sent Biden to campaign for him, had the whole machine behind him, again put his political capital and prestige on the line....and failed...again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 08:56 PM

269 posts, read 296,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, Sestak is not the new Senator. Arlen will serve until the Nov election - The new Senator will either be Sestak or Toomey.

This was a humiliating defeat once again for obama - he invested his time, prestige, he begged his "base" to vote for Specter, he campaigned for him, the Dem machine paid for his ads, Biden campaigned for him.

Obama is like 0-4 in campaigning for his fellow dems.
All Obama has to do is endorse Sestak and Toomey will have no problems winning!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,528,652 times
Quote:
Be seen as?

Obama campaigned for Specter, told the world he lurved Specter, spent money on ads for him, appeared in numerous radio and TV ads, sent Biden to campaign for him, had the whole machine behind him, again put his political capital and prestige on the line....and failed...again.
Hahaha.....the more left leaning and genuinely Democratic candidate Sestak trumped the pseudo-Democrat Specter in the Democrat primary. And this is somehow news to you? I know, I know....you're grasping at straws. Anything to attack Obama.

But let's see. Does Sestak make life harder or easier for Toomey? You don't even have to answer that.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Hahaha.....the more left leaning and genuinely Democratic candidate Sestak trumped the pseudo-Democrat Specter in the Democrat primary. And this is somehow news to you? I know, I know....you're grasping at straws. Anything to attack Obama.

But let's see. Does Sestak make life harder or easier for Toomey? You don't even have to answer that.
Obviously, the lefties were out in force to defeat Specter. I would say Toomey has a harder time with Sestak than he would with Arlen.

Oh, obama invested A LOT into Specter's campaign. Face time, name, prestige, money. 0-4.

I do hope he "helps" out Sestak in the fall.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:34 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,991,400 times
Quote:
Be seen as?

Exactly. Because voters are more left than Obama is.

Are you sure you want to go here???????

Old 05-19-2010, 05:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:

No, you are. The people in PA obviously do not like Specter, cut and dry. I think yesterday showed, the people in the country are tired of politics as ususal and will do almost anything to see things change. This will show at the polls in Nov and possibly carry trough to 2012. Of course a lot can happen between now and 2 plus years.

Nita

Old 05-19-2010, 06:09 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,528,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
No, you are. The people in PA obviously do not like Specter, cut and dry. I think yesterday showed, the people in the country are tired of politics as ususal and will do almost anything to see things change. This will show at the polls in Nov and possibly carry trough to 2012. Of course a lot can happen between now and 2 plus years.

Nita
Do you not even understand the meaning of a primary? The primary is where party regulars vote on who will represent them in the general election. Why would primary voters elect a pseudo-Democrat over a real one?

You are grasping at straws. Making Specter's defeat look like Obama's defeat. It's not. Obama was nominally supporting Specter out of courtesy, but truth be told, the White House support was tepid and practically absent during the last few days. They knew Sestak was the better candidate. Plus he's a real Democrat.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Do you not even understand the meaning of a primary? The primary is where party regulars vote on who will represent them in the general election. Why would primary voters elect a pseudo-Democrat over a real one?

You are grasping at straws. Making Specter's defeat look like Obama's defeat. It's not. Obama was nominally supporting Specter out of courtesy, but truth be told, the White House support was tepid and practically absent during the last few days. They knew Sestak was the better candidate. Plus he's a real Democrat.
Oh my, more spin.

Obama campaigned for Specter, ran radio and TV ads for him, proclaimed he lurved Specter, implored the "base" to get out and vote for Specter, cranked up the machine to get out the vote for Specter, sent Biden there to campaign on more than one occasion, spent a LOT of money on ads for Specter.

Only when it became clear that Specter was tanking, did obama abandon him.

They really didn't want obama pinned to ANOTHER election loss - think VA, NJ, MA...now ad PA to that.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli..._dems_bam.html

Quote:
As Specter tanked, Obama couldn't be found in the Keystone State. He and his handlers didn't want to risk more embarrassment after Obama campaigned for losing gubernatorial candidates in New Jersey and Virginia and couldn't keep state Sen. Scott Brown from claiming Edward Kennedy's Senate seat.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:55 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,439,525 times
Quote:

You are correct. All TRUE Democrats are celebrating Sestak's win this morning. Some on the left are positively giddy.

This sends a message to the president. Hopefully Obama will now see he was mistaken to abandon his base. It's time the party was purged of all DINOs...

Old 05-19-2010, 08:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Exactly. Because voters are more left than Obama is.

Are you sure you want to go here???????
I was thinking the same thing. If this was a 'referendum' due to anti-Obama sentiment it was because many feel that the president is too centrist and too willing to pander to the Rs and the Blue Dogs.

Be careful what you wish for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections