Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 07:26 AM

395 posts, read 113,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
We have enabled the outcomes to be far far worse.
Worse than street takeovers by youth in Charger Hellcats? I mean the average youth isn't buying $200k Lucid Sapphires to hit the streets with...

Next I'm sure you'll bring up those scary 9000 lb Hummer EVs that are just going to kill everyone, even though they are a rare, limited production vehicle that most people will never see. But yet these much heavier box trucks, in horrible disrepair, driven by guys that simply don't care, are literally ALL OVER running into people:

And I don't know how he did this. Honestly, I'm impressed:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:30 AM

1,002 posts, read 545,700 times
The instant power of a high performance EV is something to be experienced. It's awesome. But driving is also about the whole tactile experience. There are few things on earth that sound and feel like a Ferrari going through its gears full throttle.

I once drove a De Tomaso Mangusta, it was sort of a life changing experience. Having all that Ford V8 power behind you in a low slung car was really cool. The same for a '63 Vette I tuned up for a customer. I took it out for a test drive afterwards and floored it at a stand still. The posi traction lurched the car to the left, then to the right, and then I was pinned back in the seat while that hopped up 327 Chevy engine did its thing.

Ever since they went to hybrid cars in F1 I can't stand watching it. Not that long ago the cars had V8's that revved up to 19,000 RPM, and seeing and hearing those cars accelerate w/ about 1-2 seconds between each gear was what racing is all about. Indycar is still pure, and their cars sound like a real race car should sound. Has anyone here watched the Formula E races? That's only good for putting you to sleep. Don't get me wrong, EV's are a revolution, but there is life beyond them too. Horses for courses.

Old Today, 07:32 AM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
The instant power of a high performance EV is something to be experienced. It's awesome. But driving is also about the whole tactile experience. There are few things on earth that sound and feel like a Ferrari going through its gears full throttle.

I once drove a De Tomaso Mangusta, it was sort of a life changing experience. Having all that Ford V8 power behind you in a low slung car was really cool. The same for a '63 Vette I tuned up for a customer. I took it out for a test drive afterwards and floored it at a stand still. The posi traction lurched the car to the left, then to the right, and then I was pinned back in the seat while that hopped up 327 Chevy engine did its thing.

Ever since they went to hybrid cars in F1 I can't stand watching it. Not that long ago the cars had V8's that revved up to 19,000 RPM, and seeing and hearing those cars accelerate w/ about 1-2 seconds between each gear was what racing is all about. Indycar is still pure, and their cars sound like a real race car should sound. Has anyone here watched the Formula E races? That's only good for putting you to sleep. Don't get me wrong, EV's are a revolution, but there is life beyond them too. Horses for courses.
I can appreciate the tactile experience of an engine, but I think it's just a different experience. One of the nice things about EV is being more acutely aware of your surroundings and how the vehicle is reacting with the road. The powertrain is silent enough and free enough of vibration and noise that you can get a really direct feeling for how it's going rather than having it essentially masked by the engine. I think it's a question of whether your driving experience is centered on how the vehicle's powertrain is performing vs more of how it's engaging with the road.

That being said, a quarter mile done that quickly is a pretty visceral experience by itself regardless of powertrain type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles