Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:19 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,235,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonytheT View Post
I miss Dracula vampires.
Had to rep that. I'm in my 50s and grew up with my older sister telling me scary stories, some of which were vampire stories. There were the Hammer production Dracula movies on Chiller theater. Then when older the actual original Dracula book. So its sort of a nostalgia thing...I've always enjoyed the vampire genre. Partly because so much can be done with it from the gentlemanly Dracula to Stephen Kings short story sort of nasty creature to Salem's Lot to Charlotte Harris's vampire series.
It does seem to go in cycles as each new generation "discovers" vampires for themselves. We seem to be in the height of a cycle now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,200,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Sorry, but vampires are taking over...well, everything.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,993,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why are there so many TV series and movies on vampires recently? I just don't understand what people find interesting about vampires In times of HIV, what's so great about biting someone in the neck? And all the darkness surrounding those programs, isn't life dark enough already? I prefer Hello Kitty
The Twilight books, and then films. Commercial success spawns lots of copycats.

It's essentially the same thing that happened with dinosaurs after Jurassic Park.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:51 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,959,492 times
Sex sells. The whole concept of the vampire is sexual.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:17 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,355,169 times
Vampire's what selling nowadays.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,639,516 times
They suck. Bwahahahahaha.

You know what was great about Bon Jovi playing a vampire? He finally had a reason to suck! hahahaha

Old 08-13-2010, 11:18 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,988,450 times
Many of the vapid late teen and twenty-something women in my life seem to be infatuated with vampires. I chalk it up to silliness. Maybe boredom.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:42 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,778,819 times
There is even a Portuguese TV series on vampire students living more or less peacefully among humans on a college campus The featured vampire falls in love with a human student, but it turns out her father is the #1 vampire hunter in the country. Quite silly the whole thing, but I watch it because it is one of the funniest programs on TV here when one ignores all the vampire crap (I doubt that was the intention of the makers.)
I wonder why vampires would move to Portugal where the sun beats down most of the year. But no, those students wear their black coats and everything, and they are pale like the moon And they live on a fake blood drink that comes in Tetra Paks, after all they can't go round campus hacking their fangs into fellow students

Old 08-18-2010, 06:58 AM

13,701 posts, read 9,032,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
The Vampire thing comes and goes. I remember when I was in middle school it was all about The Lost Boys. When the two Corey's were young and cute. Anne Rice's Vampires were the next big thing. Then we had Buffy. There were some quiet years... then Twilight came along.

I don't think the blood-suckers will ever go away entirely. Before Anne Rice of course we had Barnabas! From Dark Shadows...

I keep hearing that Tim Burton is trying to resurrect Dark Shadows... with Johnny Depp playing Barnabas...

And of course we've always had Dracula... Nosferatu... Lilith... Vampires have always been with us, and they'll always be with us, because they and their stories are immortal.
True enough! I well remember the stir that Dark Shadows made! Wasn't that when that Count Chocula cereal came out?

It does seem to run in cycles. Why no cycles for cool creatures like Mothra?

Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,956,862 times
Vampires tend to be in good shape, they dress well, act classy, are good dancers, and have a touch of 'the dark side'. Chicks have been eating that up for centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts