Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 05:40 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
OK, so one award given at the Zurich Film Festival.

How is that indicative of "an INDUSTRY that awards pedophiles for lifetime achievements?"

For the record, I think Roman Polanski, while a talented filmmaker, is a total piece of garbage. I just have a problem with the use of the word "industry." Most people would read that to mean "Hollywood."

Also, the quoted post said "pedophiles," meaning more than one.
Only going on assumption but maybe they were referring to Woody Allen I don't know I just know Roman & Woody are both scum in my book. They both should have been in prison and on a registered sex offender's list for life. IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Only going on assumption but maybe they were referring to Woody Allen I don't know I just know Roman & Woody are both scum in my book. They both should have been in prison and on a registered sex offender's list for life. IMO
They probably were.

Although, Woody Allen's relationship with Soon-Yi Previn began when she was 19 and the other allegations against him were investigated and found to not have merit.

I don't see how anyone can reasonably call him a "pedophile."

Unlike Roman Polanski, Woody Allen has never committed a crime. At least not a crime against a child.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 AM

72 posts, read 113,483 times
I see drugs and the oscars as an issue more on the fact that when an actor dies from drugs, hollywood puts them on this pedestal and praises their life. Don't get me wrong, I love Philip Seymour Hoffman and think he is an amazing actor, but why did we focus more on his death and praise his life more than we did for Paul Walker?? I feel like Hollywood idolizes these deaths (drug overdoses, alcohol involved deaths, etc.) rather than explain why this has been such an epidemic in the entertainment industry. Stars give millions of money to children without food or water, but no one ever thinks to give money or support causes against substance abuse in America. Think of how many careers have been ruined by substance abuse

Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,552,925 times
People talked about Paul Walker ad nauseam. One of his movies in my Netflix queue is still on the status of "very long wait". He wasn't even a good actor! Philp Seymour Hoffman however, was fantastic & everyone knows it. It has nothing to do with drug use or not, it has to do with the caliber of an actor's acting ability & Philip had it, Paul didn't. Not that he was awful, he just wasn't even close to being in the same category.

Carbon, no one is glorifying Heath Ledger's drug use. I know of no one who has glorified it. What they do glorify if you want to use that word is his acting. He was fantastic & I have no doubt he would've been considered one of the greats if he hadn't died. You should see some of his films, I just watched "Candy", excellent. Yep, it's about heroin use so if you want to pigeonhole him into drug roles, go ahead however, his acting was really good in that.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM

They do glorify actors and singers that od & die look how Cory Monteith's was in the news for months after his death. Then his g/f got so much print from just being his g/f they even did a tribute to him at the awards show. Sorry but I never heard of him before Glee and I didn't watch it very often he had small parts in movies or voice overs mainly prior to Glee. His career didn't warrant all the publicity it received upon his death.

It does seem many "stars" are more famous after their deaths from drugs.

Zac Efron and Justin Bieber are headed on that dangerous drug path it doesn't help to have so much fame so young you don't know what to do with correctly either.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,660,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
They do glorify actors and singers that od & die look how Cory Monteith's was in the news for months after his death. Then his g/f got so much print from just being his g/f they even did a tribute to him at the awards show.
Hyperbole.

He was not "in the news for months after his death." Yes, there may have been a blurb when the toxicology report was released, but he was not a big story after his death. The Oscars did not include him in the "In Memoriam" tribute (and he should not have been, IMO), so I'm not sure which awards show you are talking about.

It's been 2.5 months since Philip Seymour Hoffman died and I don't hear the media saying anything about him. He was a much more talented actor than Cory Monteith so I don't believe that Cory Monteith's death was "in the news for months" but Philip Seymour Hoffman's was not.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Hyperbole.

He was not "in the news for months after his death." Yes, there may have been a blurb when the toxicology report was released, but he was not a big story after his death. The Oscars did not include him in the "In Memoriam" tribute (and he should not have been, IMO), so I'm not sure which awards show you are talking about.

It's been 2.5 months since Philip Seymour Hoffman died and I don't hear the media saying anything about him. He was a much more talented actor than Cory Monteith so I don't believe that Cory Monteith's death was "in the news for months" but Philip Seymour Hoffman's was not.
He died July 13, 2013

Oct. 11, 2012

'Glee' tribute to Cory Monteith ignores drug use, leaves fans in tears, with questions | Fox News

Here are a bunch of articles from July 2013 to January 2014

Cory Monteith Death

Here's the google page with all the articles about him just from a quick search

https://www.google.com/#q=cory+monteith's+death

Oh look just 20 hours ago now he'll forever be related to actors that died from drugs, tragic love endings etc.

Here are news links just from 2014 still talking about his death.

https://www.google.com/#q=cory+monteith's+death&tbm=nws

I never said Oscars I said an award show oh snap it was the Emmys. There was controversy over him having a tribute when long time actor Jack Klugman's was left out. Plus 2 or 3 Glee did and yes his g/f just recently was on some show talking about his death then pitching her new album.

Emmys 2013: Jane Lynch pays tribute to Cory Monteith | PopWatch | EW.com

In my thinking July 2013 to March 2014 is not hyperbole.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:33 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,895 times
This is a strange strange thread. For the record, Ledgers overdose was the result of him trying to battle a cold while also taking pills to help him sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts