Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:26 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Buying snacks at the movie theater seems to be one of those things that people either do, or don't (and those who don't can get quite heated about it, like the guy who tried to sue a theater)

I've been with friends that refused to buy snacks and instead sneaked in food from the outside. I can understand those who refuse to buy anything, since the cost of drinks and snacks have huge markups.

Myself, I don't mind buying the soda and popcorn. To me it's part of the movie going experience, and I don't begrudge theater owners from trying to make money. After all, no one's forcing me to buy anything at the theater besides the admission ticket.

What Does a Trip to the Movies Really Cost You? - ABC News

Why Does Movie-Theater Popcorn, Soda, Candy Cost So Much? | TIME.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:43 AM

84 posts, read 87,639 times
I think it is better to look and to listen to the movie when you are in the cinema than eat.
Fantasize that everybody in the hall has taken his popcorn and begins to eat.
In that case you can't hear the movie's sound because of the rustle and crunch!

Old 05-26-2014, 08:48 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I don't. I never had a problem going a couple of hours without eating.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,030,431 times
When I was a kid, we never, ever had snacks or drinks at the movies, so I wasn't accustomed to doing so. I now realize that was most likely because we didn't have extra money to buy such things, so the movie had to be our only treat (we didn't get to go very often either, maybe once or twice a year).

The first time I went to the movies with friends who stocked up on popcorn, candy and soda, I was astonished.

Now when I go to the movies I usually don't get anything, but sometimes I will if I am hungry or really want a treat. I do find it distracting to have to deal with food during the movie.

I did go with a friend a while ago who smuggled in snacks for both of us. I was a little embarrassed that she did so. If I want something to eat or drink, like the OP, I would rather pay the premium price and support the theater.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:52 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
We don't go to the movies much anymore due to the cost. I too like to have popcorn and a soda as a part of the movie going experience but when it costs as much for a small soda and popcorn as it does for a ticket that is not good.
We do like to go to the local Drive In theatre where we can bring our own snacks and 2 first run movies cost $9 per person. We have brought Chinese food, pizza and big ol bags of home popped corn.

Snacks is where movie theaters make their money.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't. I never had a problem going a couple of hours without eating.
I am this way, however my wife can not go five minutes with out something to drink. This usually means a diet Dr. Pepper but even so, she really won't drink it all, she just has to have it to sit with. So along with that, we'll usually get nachos and/or candy. Some people are just fidgety and need some sort of distraction and the movie people profit big off of them, but I totally understand they have to because HDTVs have cut in to their profits.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:54 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Buying snacks at the movie theater seems to be one of those things that people either do, or don't (and those who don't can get quite heated about it, like the guy who tried to sue a theater)

I've been with friends that refused to buy snacks and instead sneaked in food from the outside. I can understand those who refuse to buy anything, since the cost of drinks and snacks have huge markups.

Myself, I don't mind buying the soda and popcorn. To me it's part of the movie going experience, and I don't begrudge theater owners from trying to make money. After all, no one's forcing me to buy anything at the theater besides the admission ticket.

What Does a Trip to the Movies Really Cost You? - ABC News

Why Does Movie-Theater Popcorn, Soda, Candy Cost So Much? | TIME.com
Absolutely, we go to the theater every few years if that often so it is a big treat for us when we do go.
We get two of the biggest buckets of popcorn you can get and the biggest pop you can get.
I will go out all sometimes and get a box of candy as well but that is not often.
Then after the movie we will go and have a meal in a nice restaurant and relax and enjoy our time together while we chat about the movie.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,802,578 times
No movie theater pop corn and a coke icee? Kill me now.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:29 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I am this way, however my wife can not go five minutes with out something to drink. This usually means a diet Dr. Pepper but even so, she really won't drink it all, she just has to have it to sit with. So along with that, we'll usually get nachos and/or candy. Some people are just fidgety and need some sort of distraction and the movie people profit big off of them, but I totally understand they have to because HDTVs have cut in to their profits.
I know what you mean. I have a hell of a dry mouth because of medications I take, so water or some other drink is my constant companion. However, I hardly ever go to the theater because it seems kind of expensive for what you get. I always end up getting distracted or bored and missing something important a character said, and without a pause or rewind, I end up being disappointed. On the rare occasions I go, I sneak a bottle of water in my purse. Forget their stupid rules. After all, I paid for the ticket, and those concession prices are outrageous

Old 05-26-2014, 10:37 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,855,486 times
We go to the movies about 2 times a week. (matinees make this affordable - oh the joys of retirement!)

The only time we get snacks or popcorn is when our loyalty cards give it to us free. Frankly, I prefer the loyalty cards that give us free movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts