Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 09:11 PM

56 posts, read 106,861 times

Advertisements

Simple and straightforward question: when did you become disenchanted and/or unable to relate to popular culture? This could be a certain age or period in time.

I realize this won't apply to everyone, so I'm only interested in those that can relate to the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 10:36 PM

424 posts, read 431,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Simple and straightforward question: when did you become disenchanted and/or unable to relate to popular culture? This could be a certain age or period in time.

I realize this won't apply to everyone, so I'm only interested in those that can relate to the question.
When the rap/hip hop stuff came out. When the young white guys began dressing and talking like uneducated blacks. The pants down around the a$$. the wiggers. the "wassup dawg?" when this became the trendy teenage form of rebellion.

OK...I admit I am a middle-aged white guy. (Gee, could ya tell? LOL) So, when I was in high school it was long hair and rock and roll that was our rebellion. This made sense! Hell, it still does! But I could never get into that whole hip/hop gangsta thing. Then again. I don't think I was in the demographic the purveyors of that culture were aiming for. LOL.

A newer trend that has put me off too, but not as much, is how it has become fashionable to be dentition-challenged, brain-dead, bearded, under-educated, fat hick. You know, a Hillbilly. Witness these reality shows: Duck Dynasty (really?); the Cajun wars, or whatever its called. The Bayou stuff. Crocodile wrestlers. Wow.

Oh..what is worse, what my current most loathsome trend is? Those real housewives! LOL. Dim, over-privileged, greedy, mean, narcissistic gold-digger women (and those are their GOOD points! LOL). Who when they were, like 14 years old realized that they could have a very opulent and comfortable life by basically selling that fuzzy little thing they sit on everyday! Sell out as in marry a man who they dont really love but can keep them in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed. And to which they very absurdly mistakenly think they deserve. We have another word for these women. It' is shorter than "housewife" by half. It begins with a "w." Three guesses! LOL.

these women, those shows, are wrong on so many levels. Well, in ONE aspect they ARE right. In that they portray on several levels much of what is wrong with society today. The most injurious aspect of them is the poor, the dreadful example they set to young women. Good Lord, these housewives, these, Twits, become role models to some young girls. See, a 14 y.o. girl wonders what to achieve to; to do with her life. Well, she sees a female politician, maybe. And thinks, "Naw too hard; I cant't be THAT!" Or sees a female scientist. "No...too hard, too much math--I can't be THAT!" Or an athlete. Too hard! Waaah!

Oh! But one of those housewives? They see them and exclaim, "Wow! I could be THIS! Why work for a living?"

Disgusting and sad. Somebody from the 50s watching these shows would surely think the world had Lost It's Collective Mind, And was immersed in a version of Hell.

OK! Whew! thanks, I'll hop down off my soap box now. (that felt good!)

And I stand by every. single. word. And welcome ANY arguments on it. Please! Try me. I'll be looking forward to it.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:03 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
ALWAYS

Have always been rather one of the different drummer. How far out have I been?

Well, despite being in my 20's in the 80's, I had to ask my younger brother if that was Madonna in "Die Another Day".

Old 09-12-2015, 12:32 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
I completely lost interest in the late 1990s...reality television turned me off, I think. If everyone's a celebrity, where's the glamour or mystique in showbiz anymore? I'm more into artsy, fringe, indie stuff at this point than mainstream pop culture. Whatever pop culture is at this point, I don't seem to have much of a sense of it.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:04 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Once I was out of my teens.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:16 AM

551 posts, read 583,026 times
Around the time "reality" TV became a thing. Which, coincidentally or not, was around my late teens. I went from being a celeb gossip hound to not caring one bit. I can't remember the last time I bought or even wanted to peruse a People magazine.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:13 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Southpaw View Post
When the rap/hip hop stuff came out. When the young white guys began dressing and talking like uneducated blacks. The pants down around the a$$. the wiggers. the "wassup dawg?" when this became the trendy teenage form of rebellion.

OK...I admit I am a middle-aged white guy. (Gee, could ya tell? LOL) So, when I was in high school it was long hair and rock and roll that was our rebellion. This made sense! Hell, it still does! But I could never get into that whole hip/hop gangsta thing. Then again. I don't think I was in the demographic the purveyors of that culture were aiming for. LOL.

A newer trend that has put me off too, but not as much, is how it has become fashionable to be dentition-challenged, brain-dead, bearded, under-educated, fat hick. You know, a Hillbilly. Witness these reality shows: Duck Dynasty (really?); the Cajun wars, or whatever its called. The Bayou stuff. Crocodile wrestlers. Wow.

Oh..what is worse, what my current most loathsome trend is? Those real housewives! LOL. Dim, over-privileged, greedy, mean, narcissistic gold-digger women (and those are their GOOD points! LOL). Who when they were, like 14 years old realized that they could have a very opulent and comfortable life by basically selling that fuzzy little thing they sit on everyday! Sell out as in marry a man who they dont really love but can keep them in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed. And to which they very absurdly mistakenly think they deserve. We have another word for these women. It' is shorter than "housewife" by half. It begins with a "w." Three guesses! LOL.

these women, those shows, are wrong on so many levels. Well, in ONE aspect they ARE right. In that they portray on several levels much of what is wrong with society today. The most injurious aspect of them is the poor, the dreadful example they set to young women. Good Lord, these housewives, these, Twits, become role models to some young girls. See, a 14 y.o. girl wonders what to achieve to; to do with her life. Well, she sees a female politician, maybe. And thinks, "Naw too hard; I cant't be THAT!" Or sees a female scientist. "No...too hard, too much math--I can't be THAT!" Or an athlete. Too hard! Waaah!

Oh! But one of those housewives? They see them and exclaim, "Wow! I could be THIS! Why work for a living?"

Disgusting and sad. Somebody from the 50s watching these shows would surely think the world had Lost It's Collective Mind, And was immersed in a version of Hell.

OK! Whew! thanks, I'll hop down off my soap box now. (that felt good!)

And I stand by every. single. word. And welcome ANY arguments on it. Please! Try me. I'll be looking forward to it.

I'm with you on the whole "Redneck is the New Black" thing going on. It's just so bad. #whitetrashvogue. I'm guilty of watching some of the Housewife franchise. It's so "ratchet" it's good.(in a guilty pleasure kind of way)

Old 09-22-2015, 07:29 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm with you on the whole "Redneck is the New Black" thing going on. It's just so bad. #whitetrashvogue. I'm guilty of watching some of the Housewife franchise. It's so "ratchet" it's good.(in a guilty pleasure kind of way)
"Guilty Pleasure" means it's pleasurable in some way. How in the world is the Housewife franchise "pleasurable?" I find it, and other shows like it, flat out sickening.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:16 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
When the Rolling Stones became a septuagenarian rock band.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:19 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,581,375 times
When former Disney stars became principle hit-makers on the POP scene...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts