Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:02 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,007,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
if the old classics were really so great, they would dominate cable and the airwaves instead of being relegated to middle of the night viewings and obscure channels. Frankly, the over the top acting usually has me in stitches or quickly reaching for the remote.
Yes they really were great. There is no comparison. You don't even have to compare movies that are that old. Micheal Mann's Heat is a brilliant heist movie I've yet seen to be replicated by the many new versions out today. That's just one example. The reboots, sequels and remakes of certain classics tend to suck big time and usually never live up to the original. Very few, such the Nolan Batmans, live up the hype. Most of the newer ones have over the top CGI, bad acting and bad writing.

I'm not totally a nostalgic guy that I think every movie from back in the day was great. I think a lot of the acting from the 50s was hammy. There was a lot of crap in my favorite decades for film 70s, 80s, 90s too but I think that what makes them more watchable IMO, is that the movie was the end product so it had to have a story. These days movies don't care much about story, they care about how to shoehorn a product, an actress, a sequel, a spin off or something else. A lot of it is just lazy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 11:16 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,948 times
The classics ARE great. OP, watch these: all Hitchcock but esp. the Birds and Rope, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, To Kill a Mockinngbird, Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, Pink Panther, Dog Day Afternoon, Three Days of the Condor, The Conversation, Godfather, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Star Wars, Deer Hunter, Apocalyse Now, The French Connection, All the Presidents Men, Raging Bull, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Annie Hall, Full Metal Jacket, Blade Runner, Aliens, Crimes and Misdeameanors, Pretty in Pink, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, ET - I could go on Those are just off the top of my head!

Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM

810 posts, read 667,297 times
I'm with you. Kevin Hart, unfortunately is in everything today and I find him the most annoying person on the planet. The SNL ladies with an ultra liberal/feminist agenda irritate me too. Jim Carrey used to do it for me but his days are behind him. The guys that do the Pineapple Express (Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, James Franco etc.) are usually worth watching but even then not exactly knee slapping comedy. Something about Mary and Dumb and Dumber were probably the funniest movies I've seen at the movies.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 AM

17,569 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Comedians - a couple made me laugh in my teens, but now I find them all boring. There's something about attaching the "comedy" label that instantly makes me think "canned humor" (which I guess is what comedy is). I remember watching movies with friends or at school and it seemed like everyone instantly laughed during certain scenes, but I had absolutely no reaction. I would often fake a laugh to not seem too weird. Kevin Hart, Dane Cook, Will Ferrell, Louis C.K., Schumer, etc - hearing them makes me want to start clawing my eye out.

I also find about 90% movies and 95% of popular tv shows to be unentertaining. Most of my friends can talk non-stop about tons of tv shows and movies. In the last 10 years the only tv show I've watched was Breaking Bad (watched it all 4 months ago in about two weeks). After watching that I was craving more, but couldn't stand to watch more than 1 episode of anything else I tried. I have absolutely nothing on TV that I MUST watch - if I'm flipping through I'll typically stop at the news, Shark Tank, American Greed, Lockup, 600lb Life, Intervention or sports.

So are there any other people like me who aren't easily entertained like 99% of people seem to be? In some ways it's a blessing because you get more done, but in some ways it's a curse because you don't get the all the joy of being entertained.

BTW - I've never downloaded any music either. The only music I listen to is a little bit of country on the radio while driving. I know almost nothing about who sings what or who's in what band. This is another conversation killer when talking to people because everyone loves music.

Is an area of my brain not functioning?
What a sad way to think, be and live. I'm sure that your brain is functioning.

I'm 72. We subscribe to two theatre companies, one National touring plays and the other is local where Broadway actors are brought to the city. We subscribe to the Pops. We go to movies and watch a ton of TV. We still go to comedy clubs and concerts

Do I love, or even like, everything we see? Not at all. But I wouldn't have been spending tons of money since the 60s if I wasn't entertained.

Relax and enjoy, you'll live longer

Old 07-09-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarksvillemom View Post
The classics ARE great. OP, watch these: all Hitchcock but esp. the Birds and Rope, Casablanca, On the Waterfront, To Kill a Mockinngbird, Sunset Boulevard, Double Indemnity, Pink Panther, Dog Day Afternoon, Three Days of the Condor, The Conversation, Godfather, Jaws, Taxi Driver, Star Wars, Deer Hunter, Apocalyse Now, The French Connection, All the Presidents Men, Raging Bull, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Annie Hall, Full Metal Jacket, Blade Runner, Aliens, Crimes and Misdeameanors, Pretty in Pink, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, ET - I could go on Those are just off the top of my head!
Amazing list. I don't know how anyone can compare those films to whats been out the last decade.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:51 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
We're retired, and we decided to try to go out to the moves once a week. The only problem is that months go by between movies we want to see.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
What a sad way to think, be and live. I'm sure that your brain is functioning.

I'm 72. We subscribe to two theatre companies, one National touring plays and the other is local where Broadway actors are brought to the city. We subscribe to the Pops. We go to movies and watch a ton of TV. We still go to comedy clubs and concerts

Do I love, or even like, everything we see? Not at all. But I wouldn't have been spending tons of money since the 60s if I wasn't entertained.

Relax and enjoy, you'll live longer
In 72 years you never once learned to be understanding? He or she wasn't saying they hate everything but that they're trying to fully enjoy themselves. I know the feeling. So by telling them to relax are you telling them to shut their functioning brain off and enjoy some of the mindless entertainment out there today? Anyone can still find great entertainment but I think in terms of what's out in the main, quality has dipped. I don't think the OPs life is sad because they can't get into the mainstream entertainment, a lot of people feel the same way, it's just a bit annoying and unpleasant that so much media is a race to the bottom.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Amazing list. I don't know how anyone can compare those films to whats been out the last decade.
You can't. Most of the movie theater stuff is total crap.

BUT we have been treated to some good stuff on HBO, AMC, etc.
Original programming has gotten a lot better.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can't. Most of the movie theater stuff is total crap.

BUT we have been treated to some good stuff on HBO, AMC, etc.
Original programming has gotten a lot better.
Agreed. Tv has gotten better.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:02 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,246,725 times
i thought I was the only one who felt this way. I just sat through the latest transformers movie and firmly believe it was written by an 8 year old with attention deficit disorder. At the end of the movie I kept expecting something to happen to tie everything together and make sense of the jumbled mess.

Sadly, many movies are unable to live up to the hype which must be ever more awesome to bring people to come to the theaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts