Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 06:00 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times

Advertisements

The only movie I've ever seen from the OP's list is Titanic. I absolutely loved that movie, in large part because I've been a fan of the Titanic (as in, the ship, and the disaster) for as long as I can remember; long before James Cameron ever thought of it. I loved the special effects of the film, and I loved that the depiction of the actual sinking was strikingly accurate to how it really happened. Granted, Jack and Rose competed for the title of Most Annoying Passenger, but I'll admit that Cameron used their story to show us scenes from more parts of the ship than anyone, except maybe the captain, would have ever gone.

As for movies I don't like, I'm going to name the Best Picture winners for the past twenty-some years. After Titanic, which won in 1998, I saw none of them except for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, the winner in 2004. I didn't want to see them, because their descriptions sounded so incredibly unappealing to me. I don't enjoy seeing dysfunction celebrated, yet that's what seems like these Best Picture films are. It's gotten to the point that I would purposely avoid seeing any picture that won that award, just on general principles.

Oh, and speaking of James Cameron, why in the world were the two Avatar movies so popular? Yeah, I saw them both. The glowing reviews drew me into the first one, and my daughter wanted to see the second one. But other than the impressive special effects, I can't really think of any redeeming features of either of them. They wouldn't say that I hated them, but I sure can't figure out why they were as successful as they were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 06:39 PM

4,683 posts, read 4,037,267 times
Movies that people rave about and tell me "I just have to see it" usually end up, in my opinion, being either grossly overrated or just a steaming pile of garbage. Here are a few that I feel fit one or both of those descriptions:

"The Right Stuff"
"Crash"
"Inglourious Basterds"
"Life of Pi"
"La La Land"
"The Shape of Water"
"A Star Is Born" (the most recent version being the worst of all)
Jordan Peele's so called "horror" movies, particularly "Get Out" and "Us"
And pretty much any movie directed by Ava DuVernay

Old 04-17-2024, 06:54 PM

6,453 posts, read 3,973,217 times
Love, Actually. I knew so many people who loved it and I was, at best, bored by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I know, I know; so many people do, even Southerners. But we've been vilified so often in film history, it seems like our bill will never be paid. I mean, we're not all alcoholic Civil War re-enactors living in mobile homes. Please.
I thought part of the point of that movie was to show that being Southern and checking some of the "stereotype" boxes is not anything to be ashamed of... I kind of thought that was why so many stereotypes were there.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:07 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,768,572 times
the lord of the rings trilogy.

fell asleep in the theater during the one i got dragged to.

Old 04-17-2024, 08:34 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,000,552 times
Here's a couple others that are revered and highly acclaimed, yet put me right to sleep:

Lawrence of Arabia
Dr. Zhivago

I'm not a fan of overly long movies. 90 minutes is pretty much my threshold, after that I get squirmy and have to get up and move around for a while. Dances With Wolves in probably the only exception. I really enjoyed it and would watch again.

I'll also vote for Avatar. Way too long, and I'm not a fan of CGI. The fact that they used Papyrus font for the title pretty much repelled me from the get-go. I didn't know a sequel was out...I shan't be seeing it.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:02 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'll also vote for Avatar. Way too long, and I'm not a fan of CGI. The fact that they used Papyrus font for the title pretty much repelled me from the get-go. I didn't know a sequel was out...I shan't be seeing it.
The second Avatar movie was one of those very rare cases where the sequel is better than the original. Granted, this isn't saying much. If you didn't like the first one, you probably wouldn't like the second one. But if you found the first one to be tolerable, you might not dislike the second one.

Old 04-17-2024, 09:29 PM

8,062 posts, read 7,429,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WidowedBuckeyeDad90 View Post
That ending for Gone Girl will always be the most ludicrous ending for a film that I have ever watched. Can't believe that this film earned so much praise.
Yeah, sending her home from the hospital covered in dried blood was really distracting. I guess they couldn't figure any other way to squeeze in a gratuitous scene of Emily Blunt showering. But as a hetero male, I appreciated the lengths they went to.

BTW I watched The Godfather on TCM the other night. Did not care for it, because it insists on itself.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:52 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Hmmm...I must be the Typical, Average Moviegoer. I really enjoyed most of the movies on your lists!

I've only walked out of one movie so far, and that was King Kong (2005), Bad effects, horribly loud, Kong changes size for every scene. Good grief.

I do have a few movies I thoroughly disliked. Avatar II is one of them--pretentious and illogical. Everybody (including the kids) makes horrible decisions, and nobody is held accountable. Earthlings are all evil. So tiresome. Avatar I had a clear vision of culture clashes, with a nuanced plot and multidimensional characters. The only thing A II had going for it was fabulous CGI.

And the Star Wars where they
Spoiler
kill off Han Solo
(do I really have to hide that? Doesn't everybody know?), The Force Awakens, what an insult to the millions growing up with the first three Star Wars movies. But of course the trend continues on Disney. Don't get me started. I will not watch The Dial of Destiny. The question is of course, how popular are those movies?

Old 04-18-2024, 04:02 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Some of my favorite movies are posted on here. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Old 04-18-2024, 05:46 AM

3,088 posts, read 1,998,715 times
I dislike any Disney or animated film & the entire superhero genre.

Same with the entire action genre... Stallone, Jean-Claude G-d*mn, Steven Segal... Mission Impossible films bore me.

Love stories cuz they're just too sappy & silly... Notebook, Bridges of Madison County, Pretty Woman.

Movies with silly premises... talking beavers or teddy bears, guys who are in love with dolls. Mother of Valhalla. (The Beaver, Ted, Lars & the Real Girl). I wanna punch something.

Older classics like Titanic, Cocoon. If Rachel McAdams & her chipmunk face or the other 5 actresses who look just like her are in it... I'll pass.

I don't like anything mainstream, truth be told... not that they're bad movies but I just can't get into the films' subject. If asked to see Barbie or have darts thrown at me, well, I've had a recent tetanus shot so I'll take my chances with the latter.

Any slasher flick like Friday the 13th or any of the other popular movie monsters who never die.

And, I'm not interested in any of the popular blockbuster TV series either or series about hospitals or cops (Hill St Blues, ER, Nurse Jackie)... tried to watch GOT & the Wire & was bored out of my mind. Made the 10-min mark & bailed.

Basically, all of them. I like foreign film... clever IR/UK comedy, Nordic noir.

I haven't owned a TV for 30-yrs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts