Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 AM

7 posts, read 9,902 times

Advertisements

I was just shown this video of a man getting hit by lightning and I don't have any idea whether this is fake or real. It seems quite unbelievable but why should anyone make such a fake video???

Anyway maby someone here can help me with my lack of knowledge and give me some information about whether this is real or not.

Thanks

YouTube - Lucky man survives lightning hit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 AM

7 posts, read 9,902 times
I googled a bit and found out that lightning should bump off from the first objet it hits to another. Maybe then it hit the car first and then the guy?

What do you think?

Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Some people do survive lightening strikes. Not sure if this one is real or take though.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:19 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
That looks real to me.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:05 AM

150 posts, read 467,731 times
My money is on "FAKE".

Why were they standing around filming an empty field in a lightning storm?

Notice the camera goes to guy at JUST the right moment to capture the lightning strike?

The lightning strike itself is a very simple special effect that anyone with a good computer, a free demo of the right software, and 20 minutes of free time could pull off.

To me the biggest clue is that the camera man doesn't really flinch when the lightning hits, just a few feet away. This suggests that this was a planned shoot and that the lightning was added after the fact.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:24 PM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
My money is on "FAKE".

Why were they standing around filming an empty field in a lightning storm?

Notice the camera goes to guy at JUST the right moment to capture the lightning strike?

The lightning strike itself is a very simple special effect that anyone with a good computer, a free demo of the right software, and 20 minutes of free time could pull off.

To me the biggest clue is that the camera man doesn't really flinch when the lightning hits, just a few feet away. This suggests that this was a planned shoot and that the lightning was added after the fact.
I agree and I think a bolt that close would have been a hell of a lot louder. There's been a couple of times it has struck close to me and for just a split second before the bolt hits there is an unusual crackling sound in the air.......you can feel the electricity in the air, you know what's coming and it's way louder than that video.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:48 AM

212 posts, read 417,807 times
I don't think he was hit - I think it hit the car and he was tumbled by the shock wave. When I was about 13 I was sitting in a rocking chair on my front porch with my feet up on the railing watching a thunderstorm. Suddenly I was blown backward from my chair. A bolt of lightening hit a tree near the house and traveled down a wire attatched to the tree (I don't know why the wire was there) and blew a chunk out of the porch railing about 3 feet from me. All I remember was a huge clap of thunder and a white flash. I wasn't hurt and I proudly showed off the porch damage to all my friends.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:40 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Some people do survive lightening strikes. Not sure if this one is real or take though.
Of course. Have you ever heard of Roy C. Sullivan? He was a park ranger who said he was struck by lightening 7 times!!! He died in 1985, by suicide. But that's the record. You can google him and look him up in Wikipedia. Interesting story of his fate with lightening.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
I don't think he was directly hit, but I do believe his vehicle was and it was so close that it did knock him down.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:20 PM

150 posts, read 467,731 times
I'm still not convinced. Like I said, the camera pans to the guy right before the strike, the camera operator doesn't seem too fazed by the strike, and instead of dropping the camera and running to help his friend, he keeps rolling and runs over to pan down to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts