Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 07:05 PM

48 posts, read 128,238 times

Advertisements

I was recently in Eugene and I forgot to notice if dogs are allowed in the buttes. In addition, are there lots of dog parks? Thanks for all the input you guys have been giving me about Eugene. It is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 01:40 PM

72 posts, read 245,573 times
Dogs are allowed at the Butte on a leash, although I have seen more than a few owners with very well-behaved dogs off the leash. As long as you pick up after them and don't let them bother the numerous joggers, you'll be fine. There's a relatively large enclosure in Amazon Park for dogs.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I haven't hiked all the buttes yet (there are quite a few in and around Eugene!) but the few I have allow dogs on leashes: Spencer's, Skinner's, Gillespie, Mt. Pisgah (is that a butte?). Also: please pick up your dog's poo. Nobody likes lazy dog owners who don't pick up after their pups.

Also:

dog parks in Eugene (http://www.eugene-or.gov/portal/server.pt?space=CommunityPage&control=SetCommunity &CommunityID=642&PageID=1471 - broken link)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM

231 posts, read 778,932 times
Please keep your dog on a leash.

Don't let him run around and run up towards my wife who is very afraid of dogs while you stand 100 yards away yelling, "He's friendly!" Then you'll shout, "He never behaves this way!". Then finally, "Bad dog! Bad dog for jumping up on the poor lady and making her fall down!"

Shortly thereafter, I will own your house, car, and spouse after I win all your assets in a legal settlement. I will then stand 100 yards away from you and shout, "Bad dog owner! Bad dog owner for letting your dog run around without a leash!"

(Only sorta joking...)

Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 AM

Thank you Mr. E!!!! I was attacked my a dog as a young girl and ended up in the hospital getting stitches in my face. The dog that attacked me was a "friendly family dog" that had been in the family for years - and it was a small dog at that!! I still have scars on my face to this day from that attack.

Ever since I have had a fear of dogs and I cannot stand it when people allow their dogs to run outdoors off their leash. SO incredibly inconsiderate. Not everyone are dog people!!

Can you really sue someone if their dog comes up to you and knocks you over? That actually happened to my son... at Alton Baker Park near the Science Place and canoe canal... this lady's big dog (don't know the breed) - not on a leash - came up and jumped on him, he fell back and hit his tailbone really hard on the cement. The lady was like, "Oh, sorry... he's a big dog and doesn't know his strength..." and then grabbed her dog by the collar (still no leash) and hurried off. My son was 10 at the time, she didn't even check to see if he was OK! And there wasn't any scolding or discipline towards the dog for his behavior, either, which I found odd.

Anyway - sorry to rant or ramble... just never thought that you could sue over something like that!?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:19 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Not to hijack this thread with bad dog experiences (or more like bad dog owner experiences), but when I was living in Corvallis I was working in my front yard with my back to the sidewalk when suddenly I'm being barked at by a large, off-leash golden retriever not 3 feet away from me. I turned around slowly--no owner to be seen anywhere. Then she walks around one of my bushes, notices what's going on, and says, "Oh, you must be afraid of dogs."

I was kind of dumbstruck at her comment--like it was my problem. I told her, "I don't like dogs I don't know coming into my yard and barking at me." To her credit, she seemed embarassed and immediately put him on leash (which she was carrying, at least). I got the "he's friendly" routine, but she made a quick getaway.

There are off-leash parks, and dog owners' own property for off-leash time. Any other time dogs should be on leash in public areas.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:27 AM

48 posts, read 128,238 times
Considering your bad experiences, these responses make me wonder if dog owners in Eugene are not very responsible. Are there a lot of people with vicious dogs? A lot who don't pick up after their dogs? I always keep my dog on a leash except at dog parks and in my back yard, but I wouldn't want my dog to get attacked by another dog or me either for that matter, or to be bothered with stepping over dog poo.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:35 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeOregon View Post
Considering your bad experiences, these responses make me wonder if dog owners in Eugene are not very responsible. Are there a lot of people with vicious dogs? A lot who don't pick up after their dogs? I always keep my dog on a leash except at dog parks and in my back yard, but I wouldn't want my dog to get attacked by another dog or me either for that matter, or to be bothered with stepping over dog poo.
Well, in my opinion it's the bad experiences that you remember. I've probably passed by dozens if not hundreds of off-leash dogs that I didn't take notice of because they were well behaved. It's those few experiences that stand out.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:13 PM

I wouldn't say there are a lot of bad dog owners in Eugene. We live in an area with lots of dogs - and their owners , and most of the people we see keep their dogs leashed as they walk the neighborhood. Most of the time when we see dogs off leashes it is at parks or the coast... where people seem to think it's OK to let their dogs run wild and free. (It's not.)

I have to say, though, that I also see lots of people not picking up their dogs poo. That is a fairly big problem at least in our area. Sometimes I want to put out signs or something... in some places the city has put out those doggie bag dispensers which is nice. Wish more people would use them!

(The bite to my face as a young girl happened in another state, btw, not Oregon.)

Old 04-03-2011, 07:13 PM

5,463 posts, read 8,182,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
........ Most of the time when we see dogs off leashes it is at parks or the coast... where people seem to think it's OK to let their dogs run wild and free. (It's not.)

I have to say, though, that I also see lots of people not picking up their dogs poo. That is a fairly big problem at least in our area. .......
It’s amazing how dog owners are able to delude themselves into believing absolutely that their dogs are not a problem, even though they are. They all claim that “My dog is always under control” and “somebody else’s dog is causing the problems.” That’s why you see so many running off leash, bothering people, and pooping and peeing everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
View detailed profiles of: