Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 06:12 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times

Advertisements

Market of Choice (formerly known as Price Chopper, now isn't that a laugh, is the best-run, cleanest, has the best quality items, best service and many things you can't get elsewhere. It's also the most expensive. It caters to yuppies and the university crowd, who all have rich parents or high salaries. They had one in Springfield for awhile, but it closed 16 years ago. Compared to Eugene, it's like a third-world country and there's little interest in what they offer. It has several stores and there's no need for one of these Whole Foods stores. It will fold up after two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 06:53 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Grower's Market! Growers Market Hubby and I did an orientation and learned a lot about how they operate. Check it out! Really awesome co-op, just weird hours.

I worked at WFM for over a decade, so of course I'm happy it's coming to EUG and I'm looking forward to shopping there. Currently my usual grocery store is Market of Choice, but I know how to shop WFM and it feels like home to me so I'm hoping the EUG WFM store does it for me. If not, I'll prolly go back to MOC.

I tried liking Natural Grocers, but it just felt more like a vitamin store to me. Also they are really lacking when it comes to local produce. For me personally, I go local before organic. They do 100% organic produce, but there's way more local choices at MOC, Capella Market, Kiva, LC Farmer's Markets, etc. WFM is good about doing their best to provide as many local options as possible, too. (I worked in the WFM produce depts.) I also like a REAL bulk dept. NG bulk is already packaged - what's the point? Natural Grocers also seems sort of gimmicky, in that whatever the current food fad craze is, they sort of hop on that. (Most recently paleo or GF...) WFM is more of a trail blazer in that regard. I really value the education in nutrition and whole foods I received during my time working there. Plus I'm lazy and I like prepared foods sometimes. OK. A lot of the times. WFM has yummy stuff.

Also, there are a lot of WFM haters who love to try to make WFM look bad. Unless you have seen it or experienced something directly, yourself, in the first person... I would be very cautious about what you believe and what you spread to others. Like the "gay" cake? It was in the news lately. Not everything you read or see online is true. I know. I know. It's a radical thought, right?

But back to food... you can also use local harvest to find CSA's and PYO other local food nearby: http://www.localharvest.org/eugene-or

There are also a few gleaners groups... GooogleFu and you'll find those...

[CENTER]SaveSaveSaveSave[/CENTER]

Last edited by haggardhouseelf; 07-11-2016 at 07:02 PM.. Reason: I don't understand where that weird extra text is coming from? center save?

Old 07-13-2016, 12:59 PM

248 posts, read 452,039 times
There are a couple of very healthy food co-ops. One is Growers Market. It's been downtown next to the train station for ever. If, after you move here you would like info about other co-op opportunities send me a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area