Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 05:52 PM

2 posts, read 8,694 times

Advertisements

romania it is a latin country im romanian and even if i never been to france or italy i can understand when peple are talking spanish or italian are more apropriate then france but not a big deal between, just copmare this . dute-go-bete, negru-black-negro,camera-room-cama is the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,694 times
A person originating from Romania, a beautiful country in Eastern Europe.

Romanians usually have a bad reputation across Europe. The main reason for this is Romanian gypsies. They are usually associated with nomadic people that are usually poor and beg for money. The women tend to have long, black hair and wear long skirts and are seen begging and robbing.

People usually resent them, and they give Romania a very bad reputation. That's a pity, as gypsies are only a small part of people originating from Romania and should not in any case represent the country itself and the people in it. Every country has people like them; some have travelers, other have 'scumbags', etc.

Romanians are quite hardworking people who enjoy having a good time and are a great laugh. The women are usually quite beautiful. The Romanian language is close to Latin. 'Manele' and 'Muzica Populara' are the main music that is listened to, but house music is now getting popular and is being played in many clubs around Europe.

Romanian food is delicious! But then again, we all have different tastes. Sarmale and cozonac are some famous culinary dishes, but there are many more. You just have to give it a try, just like with all the other cultures around the world.

Again, don't be fooled by the gypsies, they do not - well, SHOULD not, represent Romania, and Romanians should not be judged according to these people.
E.g. ''Did you hear that song by Inna? She's Romanian!''

''I went to Mamaia, There was a lot of clubbing and hot chicks! The music was awesome!'

Old 08-05-2013, 11:27 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,423,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
romania it is a latin country im romanian and even if i never been to france or italy i can understand when peple are talking spanish or italian are more apropriate then france but not a big deal between, just copmare this . dute-go-bete, negru-black-negro,camera-room-cama is the same to me.
That is language, not culture. Culturally, Romanians are more similar to Serbs, Bulgarians, and Albanians, not Spaniards or Italians. The only people who I have observed dispute this are Romanians who fancy themselves as descending from the Romans, even though ethinically/genetically they most likely derive from Albanians. Balkan chobani.

By the way, the foods you listed (like sarmale) are borrowed from other cultures, they are not borne from Romania. Lots of countries across Europe eat hamburgers, doesn't mean it is native to their cuisine.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:56 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,563,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That is language, not culture.
Why would be Spaniards or French more culturally Latin than Romanians? How do you define nonlinguistic Latin culture? Do you know that Romanian language is closer to Latin than French or Spanish?

Quote:
Culturally, Romanians are more similar to Serbs, Bulgarians, and Albanians, not Spaniards or Italians. The only people who I have observed dispute this are Romanians who fancy themselves as descending from the Romans, even though ethinically/genetically they most likely derive from Albanians. Balkan chobani.
That is true, but Balkan peoples have an older and more diverse culture than Western peoples. Europe was born in Balkans and I'm not refering only to Greeks. In Balkans and Romania appeared oldest civilisations in Europe and in some respects, in the world.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:45 AM

205 posts, read 520,254 times
Romanian is not closer to Latin than French or Spanish. The languages closest to Latin are Sardinian, Italian and Catalan.

They are more "Latin" because those countries were created under the aegid of the Roman Catholic Church (Latin Church, according to Orthodoxs).

Romanian was created under the aegid of the Orthodox Church (Bizantine not "Latin").

Old 08-06-2013, 09:16 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,563,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardillo View Post
Romanian is not closer to Latin than French or Spanish. The languages closest to Latin are Sardinian, Italian and Catalan.
Romanian is the closest to Latin in terms of grammar, sintax, and declensions.

Italian is the most similar to latin in vocabulary and pronunciation.

Spanish and French are farther than Romanian in terms of grammar and in terms of vocabulary I haven't read yet a comparison among them.

You can find many discusions on internet, just google "closest to latin" and most sites argue that is either Romanian or Italian. Like these:
ROMANIAN the closest to CLASSICAL LATIN | Antimoon Forum
Romance language most similar to Latin. (Philological Room) Language Learning Forum

Quote:
They are more "Latin" because those countries were created under the aegid of the Roman Catholic Church (Latin Church, according to Orthodoxs).
The territory of today Romania that was part of Roman and Byzantine empire in Christian period (that is, today Dobruja, and what is today Bulgaria and Serbia, where also or in first stance the Romanian people was formed), where not under the jurisdiction of Eastern, Greek speaking patriarchates (Constantinople, Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria) but under the jurisdiction of Rome until 8th century:
Illyria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Diocese of Dacia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-06-2013, 09:23 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,805,566 times
Romanians have certainly been influenced both by Latin and Slavic cultures.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:31 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times
Romanians would lean towards Latin culture IMO. Ethnically though, I suspect they might be similar to slavs for no reason other than location

Old 08-06-2013, 09:48 AM

282 posts, read 962,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Romanians have certainly been influenced both by Latin and Slavic cultures.
Unfortunately neither of those actually exist... Neither Latin speaking countries nor Slavic speaking countries have common culture. Both of these language groups are spread throughout Europe and spoken in different regions with different cultures and religions. Romania is culturally closer to its eastern European neighbours than to most latin speaking countries, because they share common religion, history, etc. In the same way say Czech Republic is culturally much closer to its central European neighbours than to eastern Slavic countries. It would therefore very stupid to say that Romania has a Slavic influence, as again, there is no such thing...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiu View Post
Romania is a Latin/Romance language, but the question posed here is what are the cultural influences in Romania.

I might say it's part of Balkan culture generally. Much of Romanian culture developed before the Romans arrived. The language has features in common with Albanian that pre-date both the Roman and Slavic influences. The sheepherding culture came to the Balkans from Anatolia, and spread from there to other parts of Europe. The music and dance traditions have more in common with other Balkan countries than with other parts of Europe. And btw, "Balkan" is not a synonym for "Slavic". Greece and Albania are part of Balkan culture. In fact, quite a few prominent Greeks are actually Aromanians, a tribe of Romanians.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-06-2013 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe