Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 11:37 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocolumbia View Post
The way you spelled the words "baltic" and then "Nordic" (lower and upper case) demonstrates your attitude and respect for certain countries.

I've read many articles. They use this term often "Baltic States and Finland" or "Finland and Baltic Countries" or "Baltic Region" and they include Finland in it very often. In fact Sweden is also very much a Baltic country, but you need to get a clue that I separate two things: being a Baltic tribe and being a Germanic or Finnic tribe but all living around the Baltic Sea. That is one thing. Another thing is that despite Finland dragging itself into Scandinavia (as a buffer zone for Sweden), most of its territory is not in Scandinavia, but rather a FennoScandian Peninsula (the way Scandinavia peninsula is attached to the Baltic mainland or rather to western Russia) and its location is clearly Northern or Eastern European, thus North-Eastern Europe, also belonging to Northern Baltic (not Balt, the clue is being absorbed?) countries: Estonia and Finland are two Northern Baltic countries. I did not say Balt States. It is Baltic States.

In fact, in Baltic languages the root BALT- means WHITE.

Regarding genetics: Finnish genetics are closest to the Baltic or even to the Balt, since Balts, especially Finns, Estonians and Lithuanians share about 33% to 45% of their genetics.

I would also include Koenigsberg (currently: occupied) into Baltic States or Baltic Countries. I do not really like the term Baltic States, as if they are states of some big country. No one ever says Scandinavian States, Iberian States or Benelux States.

Finland a Nordic country? Yes. A Scandinavian - barely, but rather Balto-Scandian at best. A Baltic country. Scandinavian countries: Sweden, Norway and usually also Denmark. And as per below article: Sometimes Finland and Iceland and Faeroe. Sometimes. It's like Turkey sometimes in about 3% of cases is European, which is not. Finland sometimes, 6% of cases is Scandinavian. Take a look:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

And once and if Lithuania, Latvia develop an extremely high GDP per capita, I bet all of a sudden everyone will want to belong to the Baltic States. Happens all the time.

Here are some articles I have been reading about Finland being grouped with the wonderful Baltic Countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

What's there not to like? 4 or 5 beautiful countries belonging to one group. Aren't Finns proud to be Finnish and not vassals of Sweden? Ask any Latvian or Lituanian how they feel about all the Scandinavian banks they would tell you they are proud to be Balts and not vassals of any other country. So why not Finns? Finns fought hard against Soviets, but are gladly considering themselves of vassals of Sweden. And now Sweden is being destroyed by massive immigration from definitely non-Scandinavian peoples. What happens when Sweden itself becomes Middle Eastern? Would Finnland still want to consider themselves Middle Eastern as well?

Baltic States and Finland | International Encyclopedia of the First World War (WW1)

https://corporalfrisk.com/2015/08/29...baltic-states/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltoscandia

Poland should also be considered a Baltic country, since its entire coast is on the Baltic and it occupies a lot of former western Baltic lands all the way to German lands and shares some genetics as well. Baltic tribes used to border Germanic tribes. There were no heroic Slavic tribes in between. A lot of assimilated Balts there in Poland and even Germany. Especially Semba, Prussen.

Finland, sometimes Scandinavian, sometimes Baltic country, even Russo-Svensk vassal, rather a country on its own, a former vassal of Russia and Sweden, it will never be fully Scandinavian, but rather Balto-Scandian or Fenno-Scandian. Deal with it. Real and true Scandinavia consist of 3 countries: DK, SE and NO. I even doubt sometimes whether Denmark is truly Scandinavian with its "mainland" being attached to Germany and not to Scandinavia peninsula. Conclusion: Finland - Not Scandinavia.

Your last paragraph is silly; you're not even paying attention to the posts. The term "Nordic" exists for a reason. You're splitting hairs about what constitutes "Scandinavian", while Finns are using the term "Nordic". Your arguments about "Scandinavia" are irrelevant, get it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 12:08 PM

433 posts, read 405,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Your last paragraph is silly; you're not even paying attention to the posts. The term "Nordic" exists for a reason. You're splitting hairs about what constitutes "Scandinavian", while Finns are using the term "Nordic". Your arguments about "Scandinavia" are irrelevant, get it?
Yes

Old 12-25-2016, 01:32 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Why would you want to have a bad relationship with your southern neighbours? Even if that they are not your immediate neighbours. Because they are poorer than you for the meanwhile? Because they do not share your religion or even mentality? Or because they are small insignificant countries? I'd like t know why. Please tell me (how conflicts arise among otherwise peaceful nations).
That is not what I said. We just haven't got very deep relations with Latvia and Lithuania, neither on a political or a individual level. We Nordic Countries have our own thing going on and let the Baltic Countries have their thing. And of course we cooperate on many things.
The two southern Baltic States are not very important for us. The other with a Baltic Coastline; Sweden, Estonia, Germany, Poland, Denmark... and Russia are.

Quote:
On the other hand Finland's architecture reminded me St. Petersburgh, Russia very much. Less Asiatic-influenced though. Thus to answer the same question over and over again - Finland, a Russo-Balt state in its core and of course it is Nordic by much, but not by its core yet. Yet this is only my experience, impression on me and my opinion.
No surprise, as some of the same architects designed buildings both in St. Pete and Helsinki.
What you are calling 'Russo-Balt' is just nonsense. There has always been an invisible cultural Berlin Wall between Finland and Russia. We are like night and day.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:44 PM

I understand. Rauha. Merry Christmas!
Attached Thumbnails
Why isn't Finland considered a Baltic state?-temp.jpg   Why isn't Finland considered a Baltic state?-temp1.jpg  

Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 AM

83 posts, read 71,176 times
Why aren't all countries along the Baltic sea considered Baltic states? I assume the name comes from the time of Russian Empire and Soviet Union. They were lumped together as pribaltik meaning near Baltic. Once they gained independence the name remained.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes. This issue is resolved with Russia for all eternity. Viipuri will always be a part of Finnish history, but it's Russian now.
Tell that to people from Viipuri.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
What does purely Latvian mean? Can not Estonia be as well purely Estonian, at least outside Talllinn downtown?
Yes, of course, Estonia is purely Estonian as well.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
Why aren't all countries along the Baltic sea considered Baltic states? I assume the name comes from the time of Russian Empire and Soviet Union. They were lumped together as pribaltik meaning near Baltic. Once they gained independence the name remained.
Yes, exactly Russia calls them "Pribaltica" which means something like "On the Baltic". Although it is more like Prey on the Baltics to them. The "Near Abroad" or "Nashi" (One of Ours). The "Baltics" are sometimes compared to BeNeLux, yet, for some strange reason, BeNeLux countries are not called Benelux States, North Sea States or even Nedercountries, Neder States or Lower States. So I agree with you on that point that all countries around the Baltic Sea are Baltic Countries, Baltic States, Baltic Republics, Baltic Kingdoms, and of course Baltic Sea countries, Baltic Region Countries. Yet there is no other uniting factor for these three mini-countries (EST, LV LT) on the Baltic Sea other than the name Baltic. I have also heard one another name for the Baltic Triad (more appropriate name, offered by me many years ago) or East(ern) Baltic States (more appropriate as well).

Sweden: North-western Baltic Caliphate State
Denmark: Western Baltic State
Germany: South-western Baltic State
Poland: Southern Baltic State
Koenigsberg, Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania (Russia too?): Eastern Baltic States
Finland: Northern Baltic State
Norway: Sorry, you are not a Baltic State, unfortunately. Sorry Norway!

And if Estonia, which is not very happy with their "Baltic Status", (no one likes laggards) they could name themselves Eastern Baltic Nordic State, or simply Estonia. Although I was told that Latvia and Lithuania have almost caught up with Estonia economically or did they.

BaltoScandia is a Swedish idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltoscandia
Very recently Scandirabia is a Swedish idea as well.

Regarding Finland, of course they are on the Baltic Sea, very much so, but I guess they just don't want to get their feet wet in the Baltic Sea :-) So why not call Finland as NORDIC BALTIC WANNABE SCANDINAVIAN STATE?

Last edited by newtocolumbia; 12-29-2016 at 07:07 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 06:39 AM

Default Nordic Countries

Nordic Countries:
Attached Thumbnails
Why isn't Finland considered a Baltic state?-temp.jpg  

Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Tell that to people from Viipuri.
Uhm, all the Finns were evacuated from Finnish Karelia in 1944. There's no Finns left there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacua...innish_Karelia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe