Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 07:32 AM

268 posts, read 878,009 times

Advertisements

Boston: university, first immigrants

Chicago: centre of the Midwest, prohibition in the 30's

Indianapolis: car racing

Milwaukee: cold winters, Happy Days

Minneapolis-St. Paul: Cold winters, twin cities, Prince

New York City: to much to write here

Portland: nothing special

San Francisco: Golden gate, chilly breeze, gay, fun, hippie

Seattle: Boeing, Microsoft, Nirvana, rain, great nature

Washington, DC: costumes, government
----------------------------
. PITTSBURGH, PA: Old industry

2. ARLINGTON, VA: Washington DC, cemetery

3. TAMPA, FL: /

4. LAS VEGAS, NV: gambling, ugly, booming town

When I was 14, and my first time in the US, we drove from New York city to the Niagara Falls. We stopped in Binghamton. For me, it was like being in the movie "Back to the future", under the city hall. Without waiting for a thunderstorm to come. There are a lot of cities like Binghamton in the US, so I don't have an opinion about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:55 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
1. PITTSBURGH, PA - Used to be a big steelmaking city, nowadays the economy is more service- and consumer-oriented. Only steel mills to be found nowadays are outside the city itself.

2. ARLINGTON, VA - Across the river from Washington DC. The Pentagon. My mother used to work in Arlington, i don't remember it having any "bad neighborhoods" so likely not a bad place to live.

3. TAMPA, FL - All i know is that it's sunny most every day of the year.

4. LAS VEGAS, NV - Gambling, Tourists, Everything runs 24/7

Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,904 times
Ok Europeans lets get some new cities to speak about

Los Angeles:

San Diego:

Houston:

Denver:

Philadelphia:

New Orleans:

enjoy

Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 7,910 times
I am from Spain and I have never visited the States so I will just write the first things coming into my mind:

Boston: Celtics, European-style, Irish, Ally McBeal, MIT

Chicago: Jordan, Obama, Family Matters, windy, ake.

Indianapolis: racing, Hoosiers

Milwaukee: beer, cold

Minneapolis-St. Paul: really cold, hockey, twin cities

New York City: capital of the world, I could write a lot...

Portland: Nike, rainy, good quality of life, Rudy Fernandez

San Francisco: interesting, gay-friendly, Golden Gate, Silicon Valley.

Seattle: Boeing, Microsoft, grunge, good quality of life

Washington, DC: capital, places to visit, dangerous areas
----------------------------
. PITTSBURGH, PA: .... I think they played Superbowl not long ago

2. ARLINGTON, VA: I wouldn't even know it if the relatives of a friend didnt live there

3. TAMPA, FL: .... it was one of my two options to study in the US but I know nothing about it.

4. LAS VEGAS, NV: gambling, crazy parties, different

Los Angeles: huge, Hollywood, Lakers, OC... somany things

San Diego: great climate, good quality of life, near Mexico

Houston: NASA, oil

Denver: mountains, Southpark

Philadelphia: American independence, Brotherly Love, The Boss, dangerous

New Orleans: Katrina, Mardy Grass, poor

Old 01-15-2011, 02:11 PM

209 posts, read 680,107 times
The interesting thing about this thread is if we turned the tables and had Americans give their opinions of European cities, most wouldn't have much of an opinion. Obviously everyone has their own ideas of London, Paris, and the most major of European capitals, but I'm impressed by how much is known of even the secondary cities here in the US.

I assume American television has a lot to do with it.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
The interesting thing about this thread is if we turned the tables and had Americans give their opinions of European cities, most wouldn't have much of an opinion. Obviously everyone has their own ideas of London, Paris, and the most major of European capitals, but I'm impressed by how much is known of even the secondary cities here in the US.

I assume American television has a lot to do with it.
That is a good idea but it should be done in a new thread. I will leave it to someone in Europe to start the thread though as I might leave some cities out.

Old 01-15-2011, 02:28 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post

enjoy
Los Angeles - Hispanics, Hollywood, vast sprawl, car-centric, lots of sunshine, rough ghetto areas, multi-million $ mansions, feels like 20 cities rather than one:

San Diego - next to Mexico, near perfect climate, beach lifestyle

Houston - NASA, 4th (or now 3rd?) biggest population in US, hot/humid summers, a vast indoor stadium called the Astrodome, impossible to live there without a car, named after the founder of Texas Sam Houston:

Denver - a mile above sea level, changeable weather, presumably outdoor lifestyle and lot of mountains

Philadelphia - former capital of US, called the City of Brotherly Love presumably because of its role in the foundation of US, where Rocky Balboa comes from, the City Hall is up loads and loads of steps, and if the Fresh Prince was accurate then West Philadelphia is pretty ghetto.

New Orleans - Mardi Gras, loves to party, probably still damaged by Katrina, mostly poor, black population but French heritage, extremely high murder rate

Old 01-15-2011, 02:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Quote:
Los Angeles:
The city were a lot of the movies take place. Very large, high density. Home to Church of Scientology. Probably the most famous and popular city in the world.

San Diego:
Know nothing about it except in CA near Mexico. Probably lots of Mexicans, but I've never heard much about it in terms of crime (drugs trafficking)

Houston:
About as large as LA but much less density. Largest hospital center in the world and also home to many other businesses and industries and the main port of Texas. Probably the economic powerhouse of the South.

Denver:
Capital of Colorado. I have no clue what is going on here.

Philadelphia:
Don't even know what state this is in. East coast, maybe Delaware? Going to look it up after this. Why do I have the idea that it is similar to Boston? Maybe because they're both amongst the oldest cities of the US

New Orleans:
Birthplace of Jazz or Blues. Maybe both. A popular vacation destination for Yanks. For the rest much poverty and crime so not a good place to live in.

If I had to live there Houston would be my choice of these cities.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:39 AM

69 posts, read 200,098 times
Quote:
Ok Europeans lets get some new cities to speak about enjoy
I'll write the first thing that comes to my mind while thinking about these cities:

Boston: expensive, dense, walkable city, lake

Chicago: Al Capone, awesome skyline, sprawled through three states, huge suburbs, Home Alone, cheap living, Oprah, Chicago Bulls, windy, cold, hard winters, Lake Shore Drive, Cubs, Serbian minority

Indianapolis: Indy500, don't know anything about this city

Milwaukee: Wisconsin-type friendly people, long winters, quite safe, cute neighborhoods, lake, near Chicago, That 70's Show

Minneapolis-St. Paul: Twin cities, beautiful city, a lot of crime

New York City: THE skyscraper city, best city in the whole world, center of the world, Manhattan, yellow cabs, Brooklyn bridge, Friends, Seinfeld, urban living, expensive, Central Park, all sorts of minorities, Wall Street, Times Square, Yankees, popular NYC subway

Portland: beautiful nature, quite safe

San Francisco: Gay community, very expensive, Golden Gate bridge, dense downtown, the sea

Seattle: warm winters, north, near Vancouver, sea, beautiful nature, expensive real estate

Washington, DC: capitol, uptight and rude people, Obama, White House, Abraham Lincoln statue, expensive, big DC-Baltimore region, Pentagon

Los Angeles: hollywood, glamour, gangs, GTA, palm trees, warm weather, smoking weed, relaxed lifestyle

San Diego: palm trees, warm weather, zoo

Houston: Houston skyline, wide roads, big interchanges, wide highways, NASA, warm weather, big trucks, cheap living, near the sea, cowboys, mexicans

Denver: mma, crime

Philadelphia: The Fresh Prince, dense downtown

New Orleans: hurricanes, huge black population, voodoo, prostitutes, gangs

Last edited by blowitout; 01-16-2011 at 12:03 PM..

Old 01-16-2011, 12:23 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Los Angeles:
Lots of hispanics and people from just about anywhere around the world, great weather, poor public transit, the downtown wasn't much to speak of. Anything we needed, was always at least a 30 min. drive away. Smog seemed to be a major problem. Overhyped and overpriced.

San Diego:
Mexican border, Marine Corps.. that's about all i know.

Houston:
Booming and sprawling. Hot, humid.. all of my friends who are or have been expats in Houston have commented how very boring it is for it's size. NASA, Oil companies.

Denver:
Next to the mountains. A big downtown, and lots of bars i guess? Awesome weather.

Philadelphia:
I don't know anything about it, been through once as a kid and don't remember much.

New Orleans:
Narrow streets, very beautiful architecture, French Quarter. Jazz. One of the largest seaports in the US. Streetcars. The natives have some very weird accents. One of my favorite cities in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe