Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 04:28 PM

6 posts, read 16,881 times

Advertisements

So I'm going to denmark for a new job...I'm living in Copenhagen near the center of the city. I'v never lived overseas (other than Caribbean)...I was in denmark for a few days for my final interview. I didn't get much of a chance to look around. But I was told that everyone speaks english, but I'm a little scared because I'm single and 27. Where do you go for fun and to meet women. Etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 07:10 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,855,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrr View Post
I'm single and 27. Where do you go for fun and to meet women. Etc?
If you do not know by now, you've got a real problem ...

Unless you mean, where in Copenhagen specifically, do you meet women ??

Start at work, and make friends. They will do the rest ...

One last question -- What do you mean by *etc* ???

Old 08-22-2011, 07:13 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrr View Post
So I'm going to denmark for a new job...I'm living in Copenhagen near the center of the city. I'v never lived overseas (other than Caribbean)...I was in denmark for a few days for my final interview. I didn't get much of a chance to look around. But I was told that everyone speaks english, but I'm a little scared because I'm single and 27. Where do you go for fun and to meet women. Etc?
I will trade you!
Everyone I met in Copenhagen was really nice and it is a BEAUTIFUL city (even in the dead of winter).

Old 08-27-2011, 07:57 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,668,186 times
Get a "This Week in Copenhagen" booklet; that will tell you about live music, bars, concerts, museums, and so forth. Chances are there will be a bar with live music within 15 minutes walking distance from your place downtown. If you don't like the bar scene (which is civilized in Copenhagen), ask around at work, or make friends there as irman suggests. But you should know that Danes don't go on dates with strangers the way you may be used to--it is much more common for a group of people from work or from school to go out together, especially if they don't know each other well. Don't ask a co-worker on a date unless you've already gotten to know her well--they won't know what you expect of them. Suggest to stop at a coffee place after work instead, and keep it light. Most likely the woman will prefer to pay for her own coffee/drink. Restaurants are pricey, so "dinner and a movie" is not what people do. Going Dutch is very common--unless things have changed drastically within the last few decades.

Yes, Danes like to speak English, but it is generally a basic form of British English, so be patient and speak slowly! All Danes learn English in school, and the TV channels are full of undubbed American shows, so they are used to hearing American English, but that doesn't mean everyone speaks it (even if they like to think they do! )

You're going to have a great time!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,998,561 times
You will have so much fun in Denmark, especially Copenhagen. Cost of living is a bit of an adjustment, but that should be reflected in your pay. Don't worry about finding things to do and women to meet, they are everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe