Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where does Eastern Europe begin?
Czech Republic 27 19.29%
Slovakia 16 11.43%
Poland 49 35.00%
eastern Germany 16 11.43%
Other? 32 22.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Romania was part of the Roman Empire, and speaks a Romance language. Romania would be very happy to be grouped with the West.

And there it both starts and ends. Romania was for hundreds of years under Ottoman rule and has had SIGNIFICANT Balkan Southeastern influence. They are also Orthodox, which shaped their society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 11:31 AM

102,233 posts, read 108,060,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
And there it both starts and ends. Romania was for hundreds of years under Ottoman rule and has had SIGNIFICANT Balkan Southeastern influence. They are also Orthodox, which shaped their society.
Yes, I know, Ariete. I was posting that for Marissa, using her criteria, to see what she'd say. There you go, dragging reality into it! Croatia also had significant Balkan SE influence, obviously. So here we are, back at Square One. Everyone knows why Croatia, Romania, Czechia, etc. are grouped with the East, and why Finland is not. Let's just throw everyone into the "Central Europe" bucket, and be done with these endless debates. That goes for the Baltic states, too: aspiring Westerners, if there ever were any.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,389,732 times
I voted for "other" as Poland is Central Europe in my opinion, not eastern. Belarus is eastern.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:50 PM

160 posts, read 335,869 times
Quote:
Yes, I know, Ariete. I was posting that for Marissa, using her criteria, to see what she'd say. There you go, dragging reality into it! Croatia also had significant Balkan SE influence, obviously. So here we are, back at Square One. Everyone knows why Croatia, Romania, Czechia, etc. are grouped with the East, and why Finland is not. Let's just throw everyone into the "Central Europe" bucket, and be done with these endless debates. That goes for the Baltic states, too: aspiring Westerners, if there ever were any.
OP should've specified whether Eastern Europe is a political, cultural or geographic notion. Again, Finland is a North Eastern European country, geographically speaking. Obviously, it's not part of "Eastern Europe" in other ways. However, why is Czechia - a Central European country - grouped with the East? Yes, they speak a Slavic language, but before WWII they had almost no influence from Russia or Southeastern Europe. Romanians speak a Romance language, yet they aren't grouped with Italy and other Latin countries.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:13 PM

26,816 posts, read 22,591,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Frankly, I do think that the Czech Republic, Slovenia and Croatia all achieved a lot when it comes to social advancement, arts, literature, science and philosophy.

Given the political reality in the Austrian Empire and later Austria-Hungary, they never had a chance to be particularly relevant in politics. But it's not like they were absorbed culturally by either the German or Hungarian-speaking parts of the Empire.

In the end, this distinctiveness of the various crown lands led to the rise of nationalism and the downfall of A-H.
They were *Germanized* Viribusunitis, in the same manner (more or less) as Finns were "Swedisized*)))
They didn't stand on their own with all their distinct achievements as England, Germany or France for example.

P.S. Did I mention Austrians ARE Germans?)))

Old 05-05-2017, 04:19 PM

160 posts, read 335,869 times
What do "achievements" have to do with this? Like I wrote before, Russians and Chinese and many others achieved a lot. Yet, they are definitely not Western or Central European.

Old 05-05-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marissa23 View Post
That would make them Central European, both geographically and culturally/politically.
And what is exactly "Central European" culturally/politically? What exactly it is?

Quote:
Russia DID produce many things of value and made many contributions to the world: novelists, composers, ballet dancers, scientists, astronauts, film makers, etc.
Russia is really not a leading force, but a counter-balancing force for Western world. And you can't counter-balance Western Europe, unless you are more or less on the "same page" when it comes to those cultural/scientific things.

Quote:
So did China, Japan, and Persia/Iran, among others. Still, those countries are Eastern European and Asian respectively. I don't want to get off topic but "the West" wasn't the only part of the world that "contributed" to civilization.
Of course, of course; I should probably re-phrase my statement a bit - not just "civilization" ( that's too broad of a term,) but MODERN world - the one we currently live in.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:21 PM

14 posts, read 29,062 times
Quote:
True that Finland is not grouped with the East.
We are a part of northern Europe and a part of Scandinavia.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:28 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times
^ That is not my 2nd nick!!!

Old 05-05-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
^ That is not my 2nd nick!!!
Busted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe