Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:07 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You're full Viet right? How was your luck with the European ladies? In Vietnam there was a couple, Vietnamese man and his French girlfriend, who were now living in France but returned for holiday/to see his family.
Yes, I'm full Viet. Everything was fine. Very friendly. Due to a lack of time, we didn't spend too much time hitting on women....only when we ate at restaurants did i meet the women. The ones that we conversed with spoke some English. The ones that didn't speak English... well they just listened. I didn't go bar hopping. My friends and i wanted to see the historical landmarks, museums, etc. as priority. We spent basically nine days in 4 cities, so time was the essence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
Then you had a problem with a Romanian, they are the ones purporting to sell La Sagrada Familia brochures in Barcelona while trying to reach your valuables. They target all tourists, mainly Japanese tourists. Sometimes they purport to be cops to distract and fine tourists. They should put the wall back.
Now when i think about it, he could've been Romanian...not sure. Wished i would've taken a pic. It wasn't the selling part that got me upset. He started mocking me with some verbal Asian language garbage, so my friends called him a motherf*** in Spanish while waiting in the long line of Sagrada Familia visitors/tourists...he was stunned and just left us alone after that. Other tourists were kinda taken aback too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 AM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
I'm half-Japanese and living in Sicily, Italy. I never had any issues with being Japanese, although I think some Sicilians are just closed to anything non-Italian. A lot of people notice with my eyes that I look Asian, but they just ask out of curiosity. I have heard that European women don't care for Asian guys, but I'm not sure if that is true. I have one colleague who is full-blooded Chinese (but American), and he seems to have bad luck with girls. I think Sicilian women are just not easy in general for anyone, but I've had more success with women in UK, Germany, and Romania.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:41 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Yes, I'm full Viet. Everything was fine. Very friendly. Due to a lack of time, we didn't spend too much time hitting on women....only when we ate at restaurants did i meet the women. The ones that we conversed with spoke some English. The ones that didn't speak English... well they just listened. I didn't go bar hopping. My friends and i wanted to see the historical landmarks, museums, etc. as priority. We spent basically nine days in 4 cities, so time was the essence.

Now when i think about it, he could've been Romanian...not sure. Wished i would've taken a pic. It wasn't the selling part that got me upset. He started mocking me with some verbal Asian language garbage, so my friends called him a motherf*** in Spanish while waiting in the long line of Sagrada Familia visitors/tourists...he was stunned and just left us alone after that. Other tourists were kinda taken aback too.
Yes, I think European women are a bit more open than those in the States and here. Not just dating but in general they have more open-minded views, are less truly conservative. Sure you have many like that here, but they form a sizable minority.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I'm half-Japanese and living in Sicily, Italy. I never had any issues with being Japanese, although I think some Sicilians are just closed to anything non-Italian. A lot of people notice with my eyes that I look Asian, but they just ask out of curiosity. I have heard that European women don't care for Asian guys, but I'm not sure if that is true. I have one colleague who is full-blooded Chinese (but American), and he seems to have bad luck with girls. I think Sicilian women are just not easy in general for anyone, but I've had more success with women in UK, Germany, and Romania.
Sicily is still a very conservative society, even by Italian standards. I bet their mammas and pappas disapprove of them dating Calabrians or something, let alone foreigners!

Then again to them anyone outside of Sicilia IS basically a foreigner...

Old 06-27-2012, 09:10 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokiesGo View Post
My wife, who is Chinese, is living in Hungary right now for her job. She's been traveling all over Europe while there, and we've met up in several countries while she's been over there (it's a 2-year posting till she comes back to the US, but I stayed behind since the economy is tough for getting my job when I return).

Anyways - her experience seems to echo yours for the most part. She's never been mistreated or had any negative experience there due to being Asian, but she does tend to get a few looks since it's not as common to see Asians as locals there.
Another thing I get a lot of is people who speak English to me out of the blue (esp. when asking for directions.) It's like they're assuming I don't know the local language.. which is ok since I speak English fluently. But it's kind of perplexed me a bit (if it's pretty obvious by my looks that I'm not from here, there's probably little chance I'll know enough to give you meaningful directions.)

Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 AM

858 posts, read 2,235,945 times
I am Chinese borned in Vietnam and I would love to live in Europe one day. That is how much I feel comfortable about Europeans. All my vacations have been exclusively in Europe. I have a Chinese friend living in Switzerland and doesn't have any problem. When I was in Copenhagen last year, I witnessed an Asian man with a Danish woman (beautiful woman) and their kid. We are not giving Europeans enough credit. They are very educated people that have progressive views that many Asians can't even comprehend. They are just more civilized than most nationalities. For them to form EU across multiple races says a lot. My wife and I are heading back to France again and can't wait to get absorbed into their culture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe