Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:04 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Electric heaters burning out the electrical service is an individual's concern, in that it could affect an individual's ability to heat their home reliably. Cash and credit cards won't heat your apartment.
You seriously underestimate this part of the world. Ukraine may be in trouble, but it's capital is quite European. And it's wierd to compare it with Kamchatka.

Quote:
Kamchatka
Ah, Kamchatka in 1990's - no wonder, who cared about them back then.

Quote:
I heard Vladivostok had the same problem.
Nope, not with heating. There were power outages, not for long.

Quote:
Still, the memory of it lingers. Life can be unpredictable. But there are occasional winter power outages in parts of the US, too, though they only last for a few days.
In Russia this can only happen in rural areas. In cities a 1 hour outage causes outrage. I'm not sure about Ukraine, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 03:18 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Ah, Kamchatka in 1990's - no wonder, who cared about them back then.
Be careful, you might lose it to the US! It's only 3 hours away by plane.
(Just kidding. Except the Alaska telephone company did renovate the telephone lines there. Alaska is moving west!)

Old 06-10-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Alaska is moving west!
Good luck to it competing with Japan

Russia has finally decided to "move" east - work began on a project of large scale exploration of Eastern Siberia and the Far East (50% of Russian territory and natural resources, but few people and inadequate infrastructure).

Maybe foreign nations will jump in to the investment opportunity, but I doubt America will be one of them - debt is not cash

Old 06-10-2012, 05:51 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim12345 View Post
He's Ukrainian. He wants me to see how I like living there and if all goes well we'll get married. I'm an artist so probably don't plan on working until I really get settled in etc.

Really what I'm wanting to know is what is the attitude towards foreigners (i.e. Americans) and towards women? I'm trying to convince my family this is a great idea and it's a hard sell because they think cops pick up foreigners randomly for fun to extort money from them, that every third person is involved in the sex trafficking, stray dogs run wild throughout the city - well pretty much every negative stereotype you can think of. My boyfriend on the other hand thinks it's Shangri-La so I'm just trying to reconcile the two views and get a realistic picture before I plunk down the money for a ticket.
Ukraine is a beautiful country and the people are friendly and work and play hard. Harder than Americans do. On both counts.

In Kiev, most people speak English. Menus in restaurants are printed in both English and usually Russian. The west speaks Ukrainian and the East Russian. There is a bit of a cultural divide between east and west, city and small town. Actually, not unlike the US.

The food is awesome! The woman dress to the hilt. Kiev is a beautiful European capitol city. Amazing Cathedrals, cobble stoned streets, and spectacular views of the Dnipro River. The arty area is known as Andrusky Spusk - Kiev's Greenwich Village. Cute and delicious cafe's line ancient cobble stone streets. Also, ask your boyfriend to take you to Varaniki I , a restaurant with a mind boggling selection of Varaniki. If you are not familiar with this Ukrainian delicacy, it is a dumpling stuffed with savory or sweet fillings, most often cheese, meat, vegetables, mushrooms or potatoes. The sweet ones are filled with berries and served with sour cream...OK I am getting very hungry now...

I am however horrified that dogs and cats are being executed en-mass in some really awful ways in preparation for the Euro Games. Dogs did walk free in Kiev, but none were wild or vicious. This saddens me.

I found Cyrillic easy to pick up, and each time I've traveled there, I have learned more Russian and Ukrainian. The people are eager to help you to learn, also.

In the country, English is less prevalent, but I would still say that even there, about half of the people speak English.

I had no negative experiences with strangers. A homeless young woman came up to me speaking in rapid Russian and asking for money. This could happen in any city. And on that note, I would exercise normal "city caution".

There is a culture of bartering there and of giving gifts. It is not understood by some westerners, but that is how they do things.It's not always bribary, but it sometimes is. If you purchase something on the street, haggle, or you won't get the best price. If you visit your boyfriends family, take a gift, or you will be thought of as rude. In fact take a gift for every member of the family. The more "American" the gift, the more they will like it! It does not need to be terribly expensive. His mother will also have a gift for you! His Grandmother, and sister may as well. So come prepared.

You might want to pick up a book about Ukrainian culture and customs. There is a beautiful movie set in Ukraine - "Everything is Illuminated".

Old 06-10-2012, 06:11 AM

Have to add this - Kiev is a world capitol. They take Visa and Master Card. The exchange rate is favorable. There are elegant shops, designer stores, luxury items that one would see on Rodeo Drive or Fifth Avenue in NYC. This is not a slouchy US suburb or small town. It's a world capital. The young people in Kiev know and listen to western music and are quite hip. We hosted several University students and my son, a teenager was happy that they listened to the same independent and progressive rock music as he does. They were surprised that an American kid was well read and had so much in common with them!

We stay in flats when we are there, and they are simple but clean. There are boutique type hotels and luxury hotels. Something to suit every budget and taste.

In the US, only 25% of people have advanced degrees. In Ukraine it is something like 70%. Most are trilingual. How many Americans can say that about themselves?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Good luck to it competing with Japan

Russia has finally decided to "move" east - work began on a project of large scale exploration of Eastern Siberia and the Far East (50% of Russian territory and natural resources, but few people and inadequate infrastructure).

Maybe foreign nations will jump in to the investment opportunity, but I doubt America will be one of them - debt is not cash
Actually, Iceland took over Kamchatka almost 20 years ago. The natural beauty reminds them of home.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Ukraine is a beautiful country and the people are friendly and work and play hard. Harder than Americans do. On both counts.

In Kiev, most people speak English. Menus in restaurants are printed in both English and usually Russian. The west speaks Ukrainian and the East Russian. There is a bit of a cultural divide between east and west, city and small town. Actually, not unlike the US.

The food is awesome! The woman dress to the hilt. Kiev is a beautiful European capitol city. Amazing Cathedrals, cobble stoned streets, and spectacular views of the Dnipro River. The arty area is known as Andrusky Spusk - Kiev's Greenwich Village. Cute and delicious cafe's line ancient cobble stone streets. Also, ask your boyfriend to take you to Varaniki I , a restaurant with a mind boggling selection of Varaniki. If you are not familiar with this Ukrainian delicacy, it is a dumpling stuffed with savory or sweet fillings, most often cheese, meat, vegetables, mushrooms or potatoes. The sweet ones are filled with berries and served with sour cream...OK I am getting very hungry now...

I am however horrified that dogs and cats are being executed en-mass in some really awful ways in preparation for the Euro Games. Dogs did walk free in Kiev, but none were wild or vicious. This saddens me.

I found Cyrillic easy to pick up, and each time I've traveled there, I have learned more Russian and Ukrainian. The people are eager to help you to learn, also.

In the country, English is less prevalent, but I would still say that even there, about half of the people speak English.

I had no negative experiences with strangers. A homeless young woman came up to me speaking in rapid Russian and asking for money. This could happen in any city. And on that note, I would exercise normal "city caution".

There is a culture of bartering there and of giving gifts. It is not understood by some westerners, but that is how they do things.It's not always bribary, but it sometimes is. If you purchase something on the street, haggle, or you won't get the best price. If you visit your boyfriends family, take a gift, or you will be thought of as rude. In fact take a gift for every member of the family. The more "American" the gift, the more they will like it! It does not need to be terribly expensive. His mother will also have a gift for you! His Grandmother, and sister may as well. So come prepared.

You might want to pick up a book about Ukrainian culture and customs. There is a beautiful movie set in Ukraine - "Everything is Illuminated".
This is an awesome post. I just wanted to add about the gift-giving, for our OP: take a variety of gifts. Anything from postcard collections of your home region and enamel pins for kids to coffee-table type photo books of the US for higher-end gift giving to close family or to someone who does you a big favor, like finding you a job.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 83,756 times
Thanks very much sheena12 - lots of very helpful tips, I appreciate it. )))

Old 06-10-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
This is an awesome post. I just wanted to add about the gift-giving, for our OP: take a variety of gifts. Anything from postcard collections of your home region and enamel pins for kids to coffee-table type photo books of the US for higher-end gift giving to close family or to someone who does you a big favor, like finding you a job.
Very true. They are big on gifts and they do not need to be expensive. A variety of inexpensive gifts might be a good idea.

Something from your home state or region, or as Ruth said, a coffee table book.

Ukies love chocolate, but it's hard to beat theirs! If I were going this summer, I might take some Hershey's Chocolates,(the up market variety) but I'd most likely supplement it with these cute Hershey Kisses earnings that are being sold in Boscov's department store. (boscov.com) - tweens love them! Even if you are not from PA, Hershey is pure Americana!
Frige magnets with your home town or nearest city are good too! Relatives may stop by with gifts for you, and you don't want to be caught empty handed.

Tee shirts that say GAP or Old Navy are also popular. The later come out each year around now with the year on the and the American Flag.
Five bucks.

A word about flowers - women every wear love them, and Ukrainian women are no exception. HOWEVER - do not take an even number of flowers! It portends ill fortune, specifically death. And don't shake hands until you've crossed the threshold to their home or flat. I forget why, but don't.

Even the best educated Ukrainians are superstitious. (I am a bit myself)

Old 06-11-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And don't shake hands until you've crossed the threshold to their home or flat. I forget why, but don't.
Pagan misfortune belief. Almost universally widespread, but only in the form of a silly tradition, except for the least intelligent people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe