Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM

57 posts, read 147,923 times

Advertisements

I am an American, currently vacationing in Moscow for about a week. I am trying to speak the language as best as I can, but my vocabulary is dreadfully limited. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for English-speaking restaurants in Moscow. I am interested in Russian cuisine, although I don't know if I can find a Russian restaurant where I can communicate (apart from simply pointing at things on menus, which I have been doing so far...).

If you have any recommendations, I am all ears! I am staying on a side-street off Bolshaya Nikitskaya, about a 15 minute walk from the Kremlin.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:12 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Are you staying at that little Marriott garden court hotel just off Nitinskaya? Very cute place.

English, hmmm--well there's the TGI Friday's on Tverskaya (the food sucks but the staff and menu have English), the usual hotels and trendy cafes of wildly overpriced fare--Marriott, Ritz, Vogue cafe, Cafe Pushkin--you'll go broke in couple of days eating in those places.

Just up from Red Square~one, two blocks~ on the Ritz Carlton side of Tverskaya street is La Cantina. Decent enough place, menu in English, food is ok-ish Mexicanish, some tables out on the sidewalk. Make a left turn at the corner of La Cantina/Tverskaya and go maybe 200 feet down the sidewalk, then down a few stairs basement-ish, is the most notorious expat hangout in Moscow -- Silver's, an English pub. Food is decent, lots of export beer, menu in English, plenty of expats. Futbol galore.

On the Tverskaya and round nearby corners are a number of eateries with English menus. Mostly smaller places with decent food. FAQ is a good spot, google it. Also the Scandanavia Restaurant with a lovely summer patio, up Tverskaya a few more blocks. English menu, rather high prices, good food, amazing bathrooms. Lots of expats.

Just up from the Kremlin/Red Sq. a couple of blocks is a 24 hour fast food Teremok blini place. Blini 24 hours a day?! Get outta here. Love that spot. Can't miss it, but in Russian only. Dirt cheap. Delicious.

For fine dining and a Russia only experience, not-to-be-missed is Gudunov's. In the Kremlin wall just outside of Teatralnaya Metro (a few hundred yards from Red Sq. and the National History Museum). 16th century architecture, wonderful service, incomparable menu (English) superb service, top notch Russian food to die for, strolling musicians--damnation the best most beautiful restaurant is Moscow. Affordable cuisine in an incomparable setting. Go there!.
http://www.russkaya-storona.ru/mosco...rants/Godunov/

Enough? Plus the myriad of places on Bolshoi Nitinskaya. I won't even begin on those. Dozens of cafes and restaurants but many of them are bez Angleski.

Last edited by azoria; 07-03-2012 at 02:38 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 02:37 AM

Wow -- thanks for the amazing reply! I will *definitely* check out Gudunov's. Sounds fantastic! Thanks again.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM

Godunov's was fantastic -- thanks for the tip!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,725,619 times
Pajolsta.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 PM

647 posts, read 797,129 times
Some words such as please, hi, bye, thanks, you can say in English, because many people in Russia are know it.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:35 PM

It's a good tip, but unfortunately for me, those are some of the small handful of Russian words that I *can* say. lol.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:06 AM

1 posts, read 5,932 times
I love eating out in Moscow and recently I found a website : [url=http://www.gurmanization.com]Gurmanization - Easily book tables online in best restaurants, cafes and bars![/url] where they offer information and menus about the Moscow restaurants in English and there is a direct booking possibility. I strongly recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe