Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,179,198 times

Advertisements

Northern Europe: Iceland, Ireland, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland

Romance countries: Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Monaco, San Marino, Malta, Vatican, Andorra

Central Europe: Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein

Balkans: Slovenia, Croatia, Kosovo, Serbia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia, Greece, Moldova

Northeastern Europe: Poland, Ukraine, Slovakia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus, western Russia

I know all of these countries are different and unique, but personally, that's more or less how I would classify them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM

158 posts, read 382,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmemaybe View Post
Northern Europe: Iceland, Ireland, UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland

Romance countries: Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Monaco, San Marino, Malta, Vatican, Andorra

Central Europe: Luxembourg, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Liechtenstein

Balkans: Slovenia, Croatia, Kosovo, Serbia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Montenegro, Macedonia, Greece, Moldova

Northeastern Europe: Poland, Ukraine, Slovakia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Belarus, western Russia

I know all of these countries are different and unique, but personally, that's more or less how I would classify them.
When you make a classification, you need to have a common criterion. You can't use geography and origins in the same classification.
Example: France has Romance origins, but is a western country
Romania has Romance origins but is an eastern country
(so, they are part of the same group if you make a classification according to origins and they are in different groups when you make a classification according to geographic setting.

Also, how can you place Germany or Austria (to name just two) in the North? They are as western as western can be.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:43 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Europe's fractal geography, especially on its southern and northern seas, and lack of a clearly defined eastern border defies geographical classification, except as that oddly shaped (spiked), relatively tiny, even obscure, peninsula on the western extremity of the Eurasian land mass

Rather than a flat map made in some European country or the US, take a look at a globe, or perhaps Google Earth, and turn it upside down and sideways east to west, you see what Europe looks like from another perspective.

Years ago I read one book considered a classic on European history that classified Italy and Austria as central Europe, largely based on WWI alliances.

Again the example of Italy, some of it is more westerly than France, while its eastern extremity is as far east as Slovakia, Turin is closer to London than to Sicily which is closer to north Africa.

Any classification, then, is political, depending on the agenda of the one making the classification. Hence, there are as many geographical classifications of Europe as there are persons with some sort of agenda.

This goes for businesses too: different businesses organize their geographical divisions for Europe differently, some even include Turkey in central or eastern Europe, and so on.

You also may have some luck with cultural classifications, such as language groups (e.g. Celtic, Germanic, Romance, Slavic, Greek), but even that is fraught with controversy, worse religion.

If find it hard to agree with most of your list on any criteria.

What is your agenda for doing this?

Good Luck!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:42 PM

I have NO agenda, aside from mental masturbation.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:43 PM

282 posts, read 962,326 times
Quote:

Even if you put Spain into the northeastern category it wouldn't make your list anymore ridiculous and ignorant, as I'm afraid that's impossible.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
Even if you put Spain into the northeastern category it wouldn't make your list anymore ridiculous and ignorant, as I'm afraid that's impossible.
Explain what's so illogical about it.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Explain what's so illogical about it.
To be honest I have no idea what is logical about it, or based on what did you make the list.

Maybe try to find out more about the countries or regions you list than their name and the fact that they exist?

Central Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Balkans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-08-2012, 05:29 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
their is no offical classification of any kind , i always class the czech republic , poland and hungary as eastern europe yet im told its probabley still central europe

the only official classification that has full merit is scanadanavia which covers , denmark , sweeden , iceland and norway , or am i mixing up norway with finland , one of them isnt scandanavia , icelenad might also be part of scanadanavia

Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
their is no offical classification of any kind , i always class the czech republic , poland and hungary as eastern europe yet im told its probabley still central europe

the only official classification that has full merit is scanadanavia which covers , denmark , sweeden , iceland and norway , or am i mixing up norway with finland , one of them isnt scandanavia , icelenad might also be part of scanadanavia
I'd say Poland is eastern Europe, Hungary is Balkans, and Czech Republic is central Europe. Poland is eastern Europe because it has strong ties to Ukraine and Belarus, Hungary is Balkans because it's strongly tied to Romania and Czech Republic is central imo because of its heavy German influence.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

What makes you think that the term Scandinavia is any more "legit" than Central Europe?

I didn't say you can't classify Czech Republic or Hungary as eastern Europe, or that you can't classify Nigeria as a western European country if you wish, I'm just saying its ignorant and ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe