Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

What countries in Europe are the most Patriotic where people are proud of their country, where flags are seen flying everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What countries in Europe are the most Patriotic where people are proud of their country, where flags are seen flying everywhere.
When "flags are seen flying everywhere" it usually has to do with football mania.

Most Europeans are not into the American type of nationalist flag-worship. Germany under the Third Reich was the last time that type of stuff was prevalent in Europe.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
1. uk ( by a long way )
2. france
3. take your pick

Old 12-28-2012, 05:39 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Scotland
Ireland

Old 12-28-2012, 05:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
"Deutschland, Deutschland über alles..."

Translation:

Germany, Germany, above all.

Based on their anthem, they come off as pretty darned patriotic. However, I never noticed much nation love and flag waving in all the many, many times I've visited. Which is true for most of continental Europe.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
If i was lets say a German living in Germany and i flew the flag outside my home, would people think I'm strange, or would they be like "oh how nice a person whose proud of their country" ?

Germany has by far the best looking flag btw

Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
If i was lets say a German living in Germany and i flew the flag outside my home, would people think I'm strange, or would they be like "oh how nice a person whose proud of their country" ?

They would look at you suspiciously and wonder if you were maybe a wingnut or something. Overt flag waving nationalism outside of a footbal context has been out of vogue since WW2 because of the Nazi history. Germans are understandably averse to doing things that allude to a past which they feel quite shameful about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
"Deutschland, Deutschland über alles..."

Translation:

Germany, Germany, above all.

Based on their anthem, they come off as pretty darned patriotic. However, I never noticed much nation love and flag waving in all the many, many times I've visited. Which is true for most of continental Europe.
That phrase from the anthem is misinterpreted. Germany used to be a bunch of disunited states before becoming the German federal union. The meaning of Deutschland uber alles is "loyalty to the whole of Germany above loyalty to any specific regional identification from before the federation". They are referring to the previous independent states rather than "Germany over all those foreign countries". The focus in that song is on Germany and its internal divisions rather than any external entities.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,732,125 times
When there is an international competition, some people put German flags on their rear mirrors, like this:
http://img1.photographersdirect.com/.../pd2840623.jpg

But that's pretty much it. The country where I saw the most flags flying in front of houses was Switzerland.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:39 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:

My neighbors fly a Bavarian flag, unless their kids are in town, then it's Swiss.
I don't know anyone who has the faux patriotic insanity that the US does.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
1. uk ( by a long way )
2. france
3. take your pick
In what way is the UK the most patriotic country in Europe? I have no idea how you can justify that when you don't even live here.

There is absolutely no patriotism here outside of football events. I have never lived anywhere else so I'm pretty confident that I am correct. If anything, people here are incredibly self-deprecating and rarely have a good thing to say about the place they live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe