Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,002 times

Advertisements

I have been in USA twice and I was surprised most of the time about the same thing, the real meaning for people about the term Spanish person my question it is always from this kind of conversations:

Are you Spanish?
Yes I am.
From where?
The central area next to the capital
No, I meant from what country?
Spain...

And also I have a friend who told me he has a Spanish workmate, I asked him from where and he told me from Guayaquil (Equator)

My question and my surprise is: why some people don't make difference and call Spanish to all people who is native Spanish speaker? Does this happen in many places? Does it have something to do with language or terminology?

It is a mess as Latin America is quite big.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,553 times
At the beginning I was surprised also, eventually I've noticed that when they speak about Spanish they refer to someone who speaks that language, and when is someone from Spain is spaniard.

Now I use that distinction too.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
In New Mexico, many people make a distinction between 'Spanish', being reserved for the descendants of Spanish settlers, and 'Mexican' for people from Mexico or with Mexican heritage. Obviously those who call themselves 'Spanish' are from the United States but have cultural ties closer to Spain than Mexico. We have been visited by the king of Spain more times in the last 20 years than the president of Mexico :-)

Other places I have lived such as New York tend to use 'Hispanic' or 'Latino', reserving the word 'Spanish' for a language, not a culture.

I think maybe in some parts of the world with few Spanish speakers, European or Latin American, 'Spanish' may be a catchall term.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,187 times
I found it wierd when I first heard people use "Spanish" not referring to Spaniards. I guess I'm used to it by now because I've found myself saying it at times. Do people outside of the US also use Spanish in this way? I've only heard it here.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
I think most Americans ask about if you are Spanish because they know about the Spanish language, but most don't know that Spanish comes from Spain, more Americans think Spanish comes from Mexico and not Spain. People ask me if I'm Spanish, I say yes because I am ethnically Spanish, but I come from Puerto Rico, USA.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 PM

614 posts, read 3,212,604 times
I only use "Spanish" to describe people from Spain. I refer to people from other countries that speak Spanish as whatever the country is (Guatemalan, Mexican, Cuban, etc.) or "Hispanic" if I want to know if they are Latin American.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,751,302 times
You hear it in the Northeast a lot, usually referring to Puerto Ricans & Dominicans. You might also hear "Latin"

I think it the rest of the country you'll mostly hear "Hispanic" and "Latino" I never hear anyone use "Spanish" in that way here in the South

Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,489,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think most Americans ask about if you are Spanish because they know about the Spanish language, but most don't know that Spanish comes from Spain, more Americans think Spanish comes from Mexico and not Spain. People ask me if I'm Spanish, I say yes because I am ethnically Spanish, but I come from Puerto Rico, USA.
I am not sure if Spanish can be considered an ethnic apart from a nationality, in your case we say Puerto Rican, and also I think in Puerto Rico is not the same ethnic as in Spain but I don't know you so I don't know you case lol.

This thread becomes interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
I only use "Spanish" to describe people from Spain. I refer to people from other countries that speak Spanish as whatever the country is (Guatemalan, Mexican, Cuban, etc.) or "Hispanic" if I want to know if they are Latin American.
Yeah exactly, it is what I do (and people do here) we say Equatorian, Peruvian, Argentinian, etc... and if we are not sure we say SouthAmerican.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 AM

985 posts, read 1,854,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Do people outside of the US also use Spanish in this way?
In Germany and probably in the rest of Europe Spanish only refers to
- someone from Spain, never from other Spanish-speaking parts of the world
- the language which Spanish people refer to as Castellano.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You really need to start hanging out with people who did not drop out of school in the 8th grade. I don't think I have met a person who thought Spanish came from Mexico and not Spain who was not a very young child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe