Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,248 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, i'm from Portugal and a university student and i'm interested in entering on the well known erasmus program.
And since i'm tired of living in a country with tropical weather, and waaaaaay too many sun hours, i want to go somewhere cold, with snow, below 0 temperatures and less than 6 hours of sun everyday.
The only two option my universidity offers regarding cold places are Riga and Vilnius.
So...since i don't really care to which university i'm going, i decided it would be better if both habitants from these two cities could convince me to go there next September.
First of all, tell me about the weather and geography of the city itself. Which one could propbly have more snow? which one is more cold during winter?
Second, tell me about the prices of housing and other goods, like public transports, food, museums, concerts etc.
Third and last. Tell me about general life in your city. Tell me about the architecture, landscape, museums, cinemas, concerts. what type of music i can listen in your city? what type of films i can watch in your city? what type of people can i meet? are there jazz clubs in your city? how do you describe the people from your city? how do you rate public transportation in your city?
Please feel free to add anything you like.
Please don't mention night life, i'm not interested in discos or how hot are the woman in your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 06:27 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
I have been to Riga just once years ago but that was in d summer. Yes, d women are pretty nice-looking but d people are very quiet and introverted so it will be hard for them to open up to you. I know d winters are slightly cold , with a picturesque old town. Never been to Vilnius but believe people there are friendlier than in Riga though d latter 's prettier.

I like Portugal and hope to go there this year.

Old 04-12-2014, 12:35 PM

667 posts, read 940,505 times
I've been to both quite a number of times. Riga is bigger and more beautiful, nice old city, nice river, seaside nearby. However, Vilnius is also pretty nice. Especially the historic downtown -- many other areas seem to be somewhat run-down. But there's also some nice modern architecture.
I don't think there's a big difference in terms of climate. For a Portuguese person, both Latvia and Estonia will be cold countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe