Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 04:07 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarzan_taborda View Post
I have black hair pretty much, and I'm viewed with suspicion when abroad.
Me too.

In the Nordic countries, having black hair means you must be from a Muslim country or Middle Eastern/North African.

Morons.

Although, half the time, they mistook me as Southeast and Eastern Asian due to my somewhat slanted eyes.

Still had to put up with "Ching Chang" remarks from some of them.....Idiots.

Traveling in Eastern and Southeastern Asia not a problem since nearly all the natives have black hair....felt good not to stand out over there, to be honest.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:31 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times
If your'e standing out that much then you must look Asian in more ways than one.

Old 12-10-2014, 12:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Me too.

In the Nordic countries, having black hair means you must be from a Muslim country or Middle Eastern/North African.

Morons.

Although, half the time, they mistook me as Southeast and Eastern Asian due to my somewhat slanted eyes.

Still had to put up with "Ching Chang" remarks from some of them.....Idiots.

Traveling in Eastern and Southeastern Asia not a problem since nearly all the natives have black hair....felt good not to stand out over there, to be honest.
For some reason, Japanese think I'm part southern Japanese. I always thought I looked like a stereotypical southern European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
If your'e standing out that much then you must look Asian in more ways than one.
That's what I'm thinking too. I have hair that's almost black, my face is slightly tanned and I don't stand out in the US, Germany, or UK. I think the poster looks more Asian than he thinks he does, cause I'm southern European and I'm pretty nondescript in the countries I've been to. Everybody just assumes I'm Italian

Old 12-10-2014, 01:50 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,666 times
^Most Japanese assumed that I am a hafu....half Japanese. They look at my nose and know I am either not one of them or at least only half.

My nose is about the same size as a normal Caucasian nose.

Which is why I get confusion and asked what am I.....the Nordics assume half of the time you must be Islamic first because of your hair color, sadly.

Although in France, some of them thought I was part Jewish!!!!

My family is mostly Spaniard/French and Amerindian mix, the later mostly coming from my mother's side. With possibly a bit of Chinese (there a lot of Chinese immigrants at my Mom's hometown in Mexico who integrated and intermarried with the locals throughout the years).

Last edited by FBF; 12-10-2014 at 02:02 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 03:18 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Which is why I get confusion and asked what am I.....the Nordics assume half of the time you must be Islamic first because of your hair color, sadly.
Uhm, when and where? I think people over here are quite accustomed to all colours and shapes. And did you ask anyone? "Hi, do you think I'm a Muslim?"

I'll tell you a secret: we do have natives with black hair colour here.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:05 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
No way! All Nordics are blond and blue-eyed. I read it on the internet!

Old 12-10-2014, 04:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
I'll have a döner, with hot sauce, please. Oh, sorry, my mistake! Your hair colour confused me!

Oh damn, I'm bust.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:45 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
^Most Japanese assumed that I am a hafu....half Japanese. They look at my nose and know I am either not one of them or at least only half.

My nose is about the same size as a normal Caucasian nose.

Although in France, some of them thought I was part Jewish!!!!

My family is mostly Spaniard/French and Amerindian mix, the later mostly coming from my mother's side. With possibly a bit of Chinese (there a lot of Chinese immigrants at my Mom's hometown in Mexico who integrated and intermarried with the locals throughout the years).
Being from Latin America myself, I would probably have assumed you were mestizo from what you tell me. You sound typical Mexican/Central American to me.
Latinos usually think I'm from Argentina or Uruguay. Europeans usually from Italy.

Quote:
Uhm, when and where? I think people over here are quite accustomed to all colours and shapes. And did you ask anyone? "Hi, do you think I'm a Muslim?"

Yeah but, do they have, as one of our friends put it, "exotic eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
It's OK viribusunitus, you can say saxonwold's name

Quote:
I'll have a döner, with hot sauce, please. Oh, sorry, my mistake! Your hair colour confused me!

Oh damn, I'm bust.
Your eyeshape confused me, Mongoloid Finn

Old 12-10-2014, 10:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
These northern English must have viewed as exotic foreigners in their home country:

Old 12-10-2014, 11:17 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Quote:

After watching the old Star Trek series with a HD LCD-TV, I found out that Vulcans are kind of greenish and have slanted eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.